The Classic Britcom Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thnkgreen, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Y0u're welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

2. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

One which you are probably familiar with is BBC Two's "The Young Ones". Now approaching nearly forty years (gasp) since it's original transmission, it was a subversive take on the comfy sitcom format. I watched it on it's original transmission, and, whilst not fully grasping some of the more adult themes, knew it was something pretty special. Wisely, only two series were ever made. It made stars of writer Ben Elton, Ade Edmondson and Rik Mayall almost overnight. Try and find the versions with the complete musical slots. I understand these were later edited out due to licensing issues.

Jimmy Disco D and HorseyAnn like this.
  3. HorseyAnn

I liked that as a little girl but prefer Cliff's version of the song to theirs.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were rewritten as a series of diaries. I think these books are actually better than the TV show.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  5. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Yes Minister on first glance doesn't appear to be a show I'd like. I know nothing about British government so think a lot of the jokes would probably go over my head.

6. thnkgreen

Here's a question - why are there so few episodes in a season of UK shows? Here in the States a series can have 15 to twenty episodes (or more) in a season.

7. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

A big part is most UK sitcoms are written by one or sometimes two writers. A writers room generally (although not always) doesn’t happen.

Quadboy likes this.
  8. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

Although I retired my telly years ago, I must recommend "Black Books" and "The League of Gentlemen". It's been a while since I last watched them, but I did actively seek them out and found those two head and shoulders above most of their contemporaries

Welshman and thnkgreen like this.
  9. thnkgreen

I like 'Black Books'. I've never heard of or seen the other you mentioned, but I'll look for it. Thanks!

mradmack likes this.
  10. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

Here's a question. Some people here have a lot of information and/or good memories...

There was a pilot called "Oh, no! Not them!" that was trying to make a US version of The Young Ones (failed attempt). Was that pilot ever actually shown, or not?

11. thnkgreen

I found this....

Oh, No! Not THEM! (Unaired "The Young Ones" US Adaptation Pilot)

12. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

I'd call that half-reliable. It's only as correct as a few contributors made it. The comment from someone who swears it was aired, and that he had it, but that he has lost the tape, well that might or might not be genuine. It can happen but it seems to happen a lot.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The key thing about sitcoms is that you don't really need to know much about the situation. The characters and their interactions are far more important.

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

What about minder?
    Not a straight comedy like the other shows mentioned, more a drama with a lot of comedy elements.
    I've been watching repeats in ITV4 for the last year & a half. Love it.

15. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Broken record dept: Check out HANCOCK'S HALF HOUR, STEPTOE AND SON, and TILL DEATH US DO PART on YouTube(Dailymotion has most of the Hancock TV episodes, actually).

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Likely Lads and (especially) Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads are recommended.

Simon A likes this.
  17. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

League of Gentlemen really is something special and different. You might find it a bit strange at first but it is definitely worth sticking with.

Welshman, thnkgreen and OobuJoobu like this.
  18. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

If anyone’s looking for some more recent comedy shows, then I can highly recommend Staged, Ghosts, and The Goes Wrong Show.
    Three very different shows, but all VERY funny.

Welshman likes this.
  19. Welshman

Welshman Forum Resident

Yeah the Goes Wrong Show is a bit of a hidden gem and as they go on they take the 'props go wrong' concept to some very clever extremes. Also good clean fun for all ages with no 'language' etc!

DeadParrot likes this.
  20. thnkgreen

Ok everyone I am totally hooked on Steptoe & Son. I loved Sanford & Son here in the US when I was a kid. They used to show old reruns on local television.

Do they still use phrases like ‘Gordon Bennett’ and ‘cobblers’ in the UK anymore? I don’t even understand what those phrases mean LOL. I’ll do more digging online but just thought I’d ask. Another one, ‘how’s your father’. You don’t hear these phrases in the US... ever.

mradmack and HorseyAnn like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Some of these go way back - some before I was born - but these are my favourites:

Porridge
    Steptoe and Son
    Father Ted
    Fawlty Towers
    Dad's Army
    The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
    Spaced
    Hancock
    Still Game
    Detectorists
    Catastrophe
    Catterick

DeadParrot and thnkgreen like this.
  22. HorseyAnn

Steptoe & Son is good.

We still use phrases like "Gordon Bennett" & "Cobblers" I 1st heard the phrase "Gordon Bennett" when I was in year 5 at school. The teacher used it when someone said something stupid so that might give you a clue. "Cobblers" is used when you think something someone said is rubbish. Lol. A bit of "How's your Father?" is a euphemism for the process of getting intimate with someone of the opposite gender.

beccabear67 and Quadboy like this.
  23. thnkgreen

Thanks for the information. I didn't know if some of these expressions were dated, like if you were to watch a t.v. show from the US that was made in the 1970's and heard someone say 'groovy'.... you don't hear anyone say that anymore. Well, almost no one :p

24. thnkgreen

A.Word.A.Day --Gordon Bennett

25. HorseyAnn

You're welcome. :0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.