The Cliff Richard Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

A new duet.

"It Is Well"

Cliff Richard & Sheila Walsh

2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

´Thank you for posting this, Tim! :righton:

They are both older, and her voice is sort of buried in the mix for a lot of the duration of the song. Less strident than in the 80s. Which is probably a good thing. Not sure I like the sound of this - the actual mastering - but I think I like the song. I need to hear the song a few more times.

Do you happen to know whether this is for a Cliff project or a Sheila project? According to Discogs, Sheila hasn´t released anything since 2012.

3. Tim Cooper

Braveheart Worship

I'm not keen on it either, but guess I will have to buy it to keep collection going!
    As you can see from the link, it's from a new album by Shelia.

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Tim Cooper

I just bought this, due to all your reviews!

5. Jarleboy

Thank you for posting this. I hope there´s a physical release - on CD. Still not crazy about the song, but... I have hard worse. :agree:

Tim Cooper, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  6. Jarleboy

He, he. I hope you will be happy with it. Strangely, "LOVE IS THE STRONGEST EMOTION" is included - and a lot of hit single are not. Strange. I suppose the song is reminiscent of American soul. Sometimes I like that track, sometimes I don´t. It was written by the team behind "HUMAN WORK OF ART". (Leeson & Vale.) Not my favourite...

7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

It's not one I'm jumping in joy for. I'm sure they've enjoyed putting it together. :)

Tim Cooper, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Jarleboy

That´s highly diplomatic of you. :agree: The songs seems less than impressive, but I might enjoy it more when I have played it more. I still feel that whoever mastered this made a huge mistake - it sounds as a feeble wall of sound, with little or no detail.

On the plus side, I feel Sheila´s voice has improved - not as shrill and strident as it used to be. Cliff´s voice is a shadow of its former self, but I still think it adds something to the voice. Let´s face it - "RISE UP" was a good album with good performances, but the voice is not what it used to be. How could it be? He´ll be 80 this autumn. I am impressed he can still deliver to the standard he does.

9. Jarleboy

I tried to order the Sheila Walsh CD - naturally! - but the cheapest shipping and handling option was $142! No thanks!

Edit: Nice to see the two artists working together again after their seminal single flop "DRIFTING". (I know, Anthony...) It only took them 37 years to put the failure behind them... (Well, they did record together in 1985, so I guess their friendship and professional relationship survived.)

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  10. Jarleboy

This is the album:

[​IMG]

I tried to order it from Amazon.com, but they would not let me buy it from Norway. Amazon.co.uk doesn´t have it. I will find on eBay later, I suppose.

11. CheshireCat

I agree that mastering/mixing or whatever is a bit of a mess. It's still recognisably Cliff's voice though, and it's fine by me. And Sheila's voice is well hidden in large parts of the song...

Tim Cooper, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Jarleboy

... Which is a blessing in disguise - literally! - for you, I guess. :righton: Yeah, I only meant that you can hear that Cliff´s voice has weathered a few storms by now, but that is unavoidable at his age. He still sounds good, though. We can still hope for another good album from him. I wouldn´t mind.

13. Tim Cooper

I tried to order it too, and thought the postage also slightly expensive! I'm sure it will come down in time.

14. Tim Cooper

Such a shame about "Drifting", I loved that song, should have been a hit.

running hatter, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Jarleboy

Tim, I think I love you! :righton: He, he... Not many people see any virtue in that song, and I am glad to be reminded that at least two of us share some love for it.

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

If anyone is interested, the U.K. seller Johnny-Video has 2 copies of the 31st Of February Street CD on eBay. One is £6.99 and the other is £14.99. Despite them both being ‘like new’. :D Ive used him before and he’s very reliable. For some reason I can’t post a link to the discs here, but they are easy to find.

I suppose most of the diehards on here will have this if they want it, but it’s getting to the point now where even Cliff’s biggest albums aren’t easy to find on CD.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  17. CheshireCat

Definitely a worthwhile album to have. The start of the renaissance journey to the artist Cliff became with the hit albums 'I'm Nearly Famous' and 'Every Face Tells A Story' and on, and on...

mark ab, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Jarleboy

Couldn´t agree more. I recently made five CD-Rs covering the period 1972-1982, and this album made some healthy contributions to those CDs! I have come to appreciate the album a lot more over the years. Yes, it´s a bit bland in terms of arrangements and soft in production, but... It´s one of his first great albums. (Not counting the ones he made with The Shadows.)

mark ab, CheshireCat and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Tim Cooper

Hi All,

Been spending some money.
    Bought the following one sided acetates, by Network 3.
    A Christian band that Cliff produced and did backing vocals on. It was released as a single in 1981 but didn't chart.

IMG 5324 — Postimage.org

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  20. Jarleboy

Good for you! There were two singles - I saw them perform at least one of them in a show with Cliff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mark ab, CheshireCat and Tim Cooper like this.
  21. Tim Cooper

Thanks for posting.
    Dangerous Game is the one I just bought. I do have the other one also though.
    I only saw them once with Cliff, that was a Christmas special that was shown on TV, "Cliff at Chitchester". I don't think they sung either of their two singles though. So good on you if you heard them sing them. Interesting to see the song is co-written by Dave Cooke, Cliff's keyboard player and musical director. If you look at Paul Fields web site, you can see he has a holiday cottage for rent in a English village!
    Seems I'm having blinkin problems posting pictures again!

22. Jarleboy

I can´t remember what the show featuring Network 3 was. I had a contact in Sweden, Bo Larsson, a great, great man who sadly died a decade or so ago. He provided me with all sorts of Cliff stuff - some official, some less so. From him I got the four part 1981 documentary "CLIFF", which was great, and some VHS compilations featuring Cliff as guest on various shows. There was a Berni Flint show with religious themes, and a few others. One of them featured Cliff with Network 3, and they performed "LIFELINE", IIRC. I liked it.

But then, I would... :agree:

And the "LIVE IN CHICHESTER" VHS is a great show, as far as the music is concerned. The sound quality is atrocious. I have a CD culled from that show, and it sounds... juts as bad. But then you get great songs that Cliff never released as studio takes - "WE´RE ALL ONE", "SONG FOR SARAH", "FOOL´S WISDOM" etc. The sound quality is not god, but the music is.

23. Tim Cooper

[​IMG]

Second time done, apologies for my first attempt.
    I remember that name Bo Larsson, not sure from where, maybe in the fan club mag "Dynamite".
    Agree, the sound on "Cliff at Chitchester" not too good.
    Garth Hewitt was there too, some of his music I like.

24. Jarleboy

Yes, I believe he was involved in "DYNAMITE INTERNATIONAL". (Was that the full title? I had them all, but thew them in the garage years ago. I was young. Correction: I was younger...)

He was also the leader of one of the Scandinavian fan clubs. I think his name was printed on the back covers of the Scandinavian Cliff albums.

Garth Hewitt is a huge talent! Had he been a secular artist, I believe he would have been up there with Neil Young, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen... Well, we´ll never know.

25. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

Hi dear Cliff fans, after having been a quiet reader of this Cliff Richard thread and the previous one (Back from the wilderness-thread) for several years and enjoying it all the time, I've finally decided to join this forum. I'm from The Netherlands, 52 years old and have been a Cliff fan since 1980, when I got a Cliff Richard music-cassette "Cliff Richard: Seine Besten Songs" (German issue) and a music-cassette of "I'm No Hero" as a birthday present from my parents on my 13th birthday (my father was a Cliff and Shadows fan in the 60's too). That's how it all began for me and I could not believe my ears that the singer that sang on both albums was the same person. Such a great, broad selection of songs and music styles from several decades, all sung by this unique singer, made me interested and a fan from the start. And his music has never left me since. Cliffs music and voice still capture my ears almost 40 years later! I would like to finish my first contribution to this thread by sharing this link to a interview with Cliff by an American journalist (and a fan?) from june 2o19. I discovered it today on YouTube and have never seen it before. It's 38 minutes long and Cliff has a lot of interesting thoughts to share. He talks open-hearted, although he appears to suffer from a stuffy nose! It's a great interview, well worth to watch it. I scan Youtube every day for new Cliff material and will share interesting links like this one on this thread. Enjoy!