The Cliff Richard Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Jan 1, 2020.

1. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Isn’t the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame an American awards thing? In which case, Hank and the boys are highly unlikely to be inducted as they had very little success in the USA?

America had their own ‘guitar instrumental’ group in The Ventures, who I’m quite sure have already been inducted.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Catch Up Podcasts

Thanks for this, a really good interview.
    Well worth listening too.
    Chris tells some interesting stories about the songs he wrote for Cliff.
    I have two questions that came out of this interview.
    Chris said he played keyboards for Cliff's band in a tour once, anyone any idea which one?
    Also Chris said that to start with he signed a three year deal with Cliff's music publishing company to write songs exclusively for Cliff.
    So how does this work then, is Chris paid some sort of retainer then royalties if Cliff records one of his songs or what?

4. Chris Lane

Chris Lane Forum Resident

Hi Lavalamp3,
    Wow what a joy to hear. a prized cassette.
    Thanks to everyone who had commented to the list.:D
    Using Robert's site www.cliffrichardsongs.com , I have corrected the titles, I'm at a loss for the other two. I thought track four could have been Randy Matthews "Didn't He". No such luck!

I too would love to hear these tunes.

Kind regards,
    Chris

5. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

@lavalamp3 : Did you already find the time to upload the concert tape to Youtube?

CheshireCat, Tim Cooper and Jarleboy like this.
  6. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Hi Pico, not yet - been a bit tied up lately - but promise to upload over next couple of weeks!

7. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

Great! It would be fantatic to hear never released before live recordings by Cliff. Especially the never released before songs.

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and Tim Cooper like this.
  8. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

Sir Cliff - Very Rare Recording - Sinnerman 1967
    Just found this great never released before recording on Youtube!

Sir Cliff Richard singing a very good acoustic version of Nina Simone's song Sinnerman. This is an extremely rare recording of Sir Cliff, and it's probably the first time it has been heard since summer 1967 when it was recorded live in front of a private audience in London. The tape recording has been sitting in my collection for decades and I finally got round to digitising it during lockdown. The tape belonged to my father. He cannot recall now whether it was sent by Sir Cliff or by one of his colleagues or friends.

I know only know of one other live recording of this song, that was uploaded to Youtube in the past, from a gospel concert of Cliff Richard and The Settlers, The Hague, The Netherlands 27-4-1968

9. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

An Evening with Cliff Richard at London Heathrow Airport, Edwardian Hotel Sunday september 1, 1991

Never saw this interview before that was uploaded today. It's quite a long interview/chat, almost 1 hour and 26 minutes. It's a nice interview. But it's a pity that all the live performances have been edited out.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Tim Cooper, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

42 years ago today, Cliff was on Get It Together on ITV. Did you watch the show?

[​IMG]

11. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Another one of those "should-have-been-huge" Cliff singles that stalled somewhere south of expectations... No. 57 in this case. I guess this was a part of the promotion for that single, in tandem with the custom-made video on The Kenny Everett Television Show. It had so much going for it... Only to become the third single from the great album "Green Light" not to enter the Top 50. The first two flopped altogether, and this one was also considered a failure.

The good news? The song is now regarded as a Cliff classic, and Cliff himself seems to love it. He even included it on two compilations - 1985´s "From The Heart" and the chart-topping "Private Collection" in 1988. (Though only on the 2LP vinyl version.)

Thanks again, Bobby! :righton:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  12. Bobby Morrow

I thought it was a great photo of Cliff. Green Light is a favourite album of mine. Such a shame it did so little. The roots of it are in the next LP, Rock n’ Roll Juvenile.

Wonder if that Get It Together performance is on YouTube?

13. Jarleboy

I have been absent from this thread for a while. Life has been entirely too busy over the last couple of months. Cliff has been very low on my priority list. Shocking, I know.

But tonight I sat down and listened to an Asian compilation which dares to call itself "the audiophile Cliff Richard". I listened to it years ago, when I bought it, and tonight I sat down in the sweet-spot, and tried to evaluate the sound coming through my speakers. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the sequencing seems a bit haphazard at first glance, but mostly it works pretty well. I would never have chosen this track list, but... I can´t complain.

And notice the misnamed track on disc 2, track 1. It is Ian Samwell´s "Fall In Love With You".

So... What is the sound like? I have to admit that I liked it when I first bought it, and it sounded even better today. It´s fairly loud, but not even close to brickwalled. It actually sound pretty warm and gentle, but with enough energy to present songs like "Devil Woman" and "We Don´t Talk Anymore" with elan.

A noticeable difference from many Cliff masterings is that the backing vocals and various percussive details dominate a bit more. On a couple of songs, the lead vocal was a tiny bit less dominant than I am used to, but it works. Most of the early songs up to 1965 are presented in mono, and the sometimes "weedy" stereo versions on some releases could learn a thing or two from these ones. "Move It!" sounds as fresh as ever, and I am generally rather impressed with this compilation. I have bought many of those, some whose liner notes claimed to be "audiophile". I don´t know enough about sound to make all that much of a judgement, but I found the sound to be pleasant - very crankable, despite my comment about it being loud, and the soundstage is wide. In a good way.

If any of you have this compilation, please tell me what you think of it. I see you can get it on eBay for about $20. I don´t regret buying it, but I hope others on here can inform you whether it is worth it. I know I love it. :agree:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  14. Jarleboy

A very good photo. Like so many. Life is unfair... :shh:

"Green Light" is also one of my favourites. Though light on actual hits, it contained eleven quality songs, some among the best Cliff ever recorded, IMO.

And as you say, quite rightly - the spirit of "Green Light" infused "Rock´N´Roll Juvenile", which contained more rockers and uptempo numbers. Perhaps "Green Light" could have used some of those, but I think it´s quite perfect as it is.

Yes, indeed. Here is the clip.

15. Bobby Morrow

I like one of the bonus cuts, Imagine Love, too.

16. Jarleboy

I like it, too. I like the other two B-sides they included, as well. This was from my favourite period for Cliff, and most of the songs recorded 1975-1982 are at least good. IMO, of course.

17. Tim Cooper

GREEN LIGHT

Completely agree with all the comments about this album. My Cliff "era" and one of his best ever albums.
    I do prefer the "Can't Take The Hurt Anymore" single though, which I think did worse in the charts!
    But, as you say, the next album "Rock n' roll Juvenile" and the release of his biggest selling single ever.

18. Tim Cooper

It is strange some of these compilations, who chooses the songs and the running order. It does make them interesting though.

19. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that the chart was only expanded from a top 50 to a top 75 around the time of Green Light, otherwise it would have gone down as another chart miss entirely.

20. Jarleboy

Sadly, that seems to be true. I remember reading about it. Imagine - it would have made two Cliff albums in a rwo with absolutely NO HITS. ("Small Corners" had one single extracted from it, and it also flopped.) Especially with such strong material, it´s hard to get one´s head around that bit of information. No wonder he was at the point of giving up in 1979.

CheshireCat likes this.
  21. Tim Cooper

Mistletoe and Wine

Just came across this.
    If you scroll down to I think the fourth video, "C4 Rewind The Christmas Hits", an interesting piece showing clips of the origanial "Mistletoe and Wine" before Cliffs version. Also interviews with the writers, and I never know that Slade's Dave Hill was a Cliff fan!
    I know maybe not the right time of year!

22. Jarleboy

Very interesting. And good to know that Dave Hill has got good taste. I always liked Slade. Now even more. What? Shallow? Me?!?

Certainly. :agree:

Tim Cooper and CheshireCat like this.
  23. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I saw Noddy Holder in the supermarket once. He lives a couple of miles away from me here in leafy Cheshire. Surprised I've not seen him more to be honest. I think he only comes out at Chriiiiiisssstmmmasssssss.

Tim Cooper, Daveymoore and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Jarleboy

Of course he does. "It´s Chriiiiiisssstmmmasssssss!!!" :edthumbs: Back when I watched "Never Mind the Buzzcocks", his appearances - weirdly often occurring around Christmas. Who´d a-thunk it? - were always welcome. I know the Slade family is not a happy one, but he seems so warm and cuddly. Not very hard to be charmed by him.

Tim Cooper and CheshireCat like this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You should take a look at the Slade in America thread that’s around just now, there’s a fantastically detailed discussion about Dave Hill’s hairstyles, wigs and weaves. @Bobby Morrow would love it too....