The Cliff Richard Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And you'd think that Wreckless would have welcomed the royalties....

2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I know, but the 'fun 30' just sounds like a term that old people use.
    Like Cliff I like to keep up with the young uns, and to know what's in and what's out so that I can easily blend in with them. Of course that's been difficult over the past year as the dancehalls have all been closed.

3. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

900!!! And I thought my iPod was stuffed (about half that many - and I've got live and Shadows stuff in there as well)

Jarleboy and CheshireCat like this.
  4. rewardman

rewardman Forum Resident

I’m still hoping to add several missing songs to make my collection complete

5. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Reading through this thread has inspired me to try and do the same. I've got all the studio albums covered, but there still seem to be a lot of gaps. Eighties/nineties b-sides, in particular.

6. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Jarleboy, Chris Lane and Tim Cooper like this.
  7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Thanks for posting.
    I think the expression is that you can take tablets for it!
    Can't say I'm to keen on Cliff's version either, but certainly interesting hearing a different take on it.
    I've just YouTubed Cliff's version to see if there is a version of Cliff's with video out there, but doesn't seem like there is.

8. CheshireCat

Luckily I'll be able to afford the tablets, it was a rather cheap 7" single. It was from 1971, so was released before Cliff's version. An interesting curiosity, but nothing more. I'm thinking that the song's writer must have been bullied at school for that surname... Hamburger. ( I understand that the Brumburger was better)

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Jarleboy and Chris Lane like this.
  9. rewardman

rewardman Forum Resident

Interesting find. No question that Cliff’s vocal performance is superior. I quite like the intro to the song per Cliff’s version.

Jarleboy, Tim Cooper and CheshireCat like this.
  10. Tim Cooper

Chris Lane, Jarleboy and CheshireCat like this.
  11. CheshireCat

Jarleboy, Daveymoore and Tim Cooper like this.
  12. Tim Cooper

Agree a strange song selection.
    Where did you see though that you don't get the full length songs?
    Most promo's I would have have heard about, just very strange I've never seen this one before.

13. CheshireCat

The front of the cassette says 'not full versions' on it.

Tim Cooper and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Also it has been "singed" (slightly burnt, scorched)!!

Tim Cooper and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

There is also the original version, which I think is even worse!

I do get the criticism of this song - it´s too repetitive, and the lyrics are not quite my glass of coke, but I love the arrangement. It´s one his most modern-sounding one to that date, I think. The phased drum sound is phenomenal, and the vocals are also great, I think. The acappella stop right before the coda is also a nice touch. So, count me as one who loves this song - mainly for the production and arrangement. And Cliff´s vocal, of course.

I have strayed from both Cliff and this thread for a while. I always have periods where I pause Cliff´s music - just for a little while. Yesterday I sat down - intentionally! - and listened to Led Zeppelin´s first album. I am not really a fan, but I realised I needed to immerse myself in their music to really appreciate it. And I actually did like it. Lots of detail and power to enjoy. I still prefer a band that doesn´t take themselves too seriously. Humour doesn´t seem to be their forte...

And I found myself wanting to listen to "Throw Down a Line". Better the angel you know...

16. Jarleboy

I checked out the tape you mentioned. A very strange collection of disparate songs! I like all of them, but I would never think to play those songs in one session. Perhaps they were trying to lure people into thinking these were rare tracks. There is not a hit between them, and the titles might sound foreign to many.

Tim Cooper and CheshireCat like this.
  17. Chris Lane

Chris Lane Forum Resident

Tim Cooper, Jarleboy and CheshireCat like this.
  18. Tim Cooper

Thanks for clarification Chris.
    Another one to put on my wanted list, think I will wait for a cheaper price though.

CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wreckless Eric's song Whole Wide World is one of my favourite singles ever, I was obsessed with it at the time.
    It's a shame it never found a wider audience as it deserved it. I didn't know that Cliff wanted to record it, I can easily imagine him singing it during his comeback peak years...

20. CheshireCat

It found an audience on a Monkees album...

And on Billie-Joe Armstrong's recent lockdown album 'No Fun Mondays'. A good song, shame Cliff found something unsuitable in the lyrics. What words might they be?

bob60 and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Jarleboy

It isn´t often I´m ashamed of Cliff, but I came close when I watched "Cliff From the Hip". A nice little concert, one of the few times he performed "Never Say Die" live. (I was informed when I wrote that he never performed it after his tour in Australia in 1984. Boy, was I wrong! Again... :agree:)

Anyway, during this concert he sang Eric Carmen´s "borrowed" hit "All By Myself" - a perfect fit for Cliff´s voice. It had less of the bombast than the original, but he changed this line: "When I was young/I never needed anyone/And making love was just for fun" into ""When I was young/I never needed anyone/And being in love was just for fun"... Now, "making love" is already a pretty tame euphemism, and making it even vaguer is almost a crime. I was still not ashamed of Cliff, but I found the whole bowdlerisation of the lyric laughable. Still do.

Daveymoore, bob60 and CheshireCat like this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Mmm
    Maybe Cliff had never made love before and wanted to sing the truth from his heart. Or maybe making love just wasn't fun for Cliff?
    Personally I think now as I did then, that Cliff is just waiting for the right woman to come along before settling down and starting a family...

23. Jarleboy

He´s been waitng a loooong time. But then... Haven´t we all? :sigh:

CheshireCat, Daveymoore and bob60 like this.
  24. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  25. Jarleboy

Chris Lane and CheshireCat like this.