The Comet is Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 19, 2019.

1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any fans here of The Comet is Coming? I love their latest album Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery. Not only is the music great, but the vinyl is perfect. Highly recommend!

Maggie, Malachy60, ziggytvs and 10 others like this.
  2. Big fan

The Comet Is Coming - Summon The Fire

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’ll check em out!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and zphage like this.
  4. All of Shabaka Hutchings work is worth checking out:

Sons Of Kemet ‎– Your Queen Is A Reptile (2018)

ArpMoog, ziggytvs, gd0 and 8 others like this.
  5. Some more:

Shabaka and the Ancestors - The Observer

6. Nice overview/compilation about the current London Jazz scene

We Out Here [ Full Álbum ]

0:00 Maisha - Inside The Acorn
    6:00 Ezra Collective - Pure Shade
    12:34 Moses Boyd - The Balance
    18:21 Theon Cross - Brockley
    22:03 Nubya Garcia - Once
    27:37 Shabaka Hutchings - Black Skin, Black Masks
    34:44 Triforce - Walls
    40:11 Joe Armon-Jones - Go See
    47:54 Kokoroko - Abusey Junction

7. olson

olson Forum Resident

Listened to this about a week ago, and I have been on a contemporary London new jazz binge since.

8. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

They're getting better at each output. Sounding more jazzier and spiritual than before, which in my book is good.

An amazing step forward signing to impulse.

The latest album is great, but don't forget to check their previous work. The death to the Planet EP is also good.

Here's my top 5 (listening sequence) of older tracks
    1. "Journey Through the Asteroid Belt" 5:32
    2. "Star Exploding in Slow Motion" 6:41
    3. "Slammin" 3:30
    4. "Start Running"6:32
    5. "Ascension" 3:34
    Taken from:
    2, Prophecy, EP
    1, Channel the Spirits, first full-length.
    3, Ancient Tapes (from Channel The Spirits (Special Edition)
    4,5, Death to the Planet, EP

9. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

Seeing them in Vancouver on Friday - very excited.

10. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

They are starting to sell out the U.S. dates. The buzz is building. We're driving six hours to see them in Denver in October.

Just ordered the special edition of the second LP from Vinyl Me Please -- limited to 500 copies and going fast, so check it out if you're down with the Comet.

jamo spingal, olson and zphage like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm late to the party on Comet, need to check out the newest LP. I did hear some of their earlier music in a shop and liked it.

The current UK jazz scene is one of the most exciting things to come along in awhile, for me anyway. I've been picking up albums as the budget allows. Shabaka, Maisha, Kokoroko, and Theon Cross were all somewhat recent purchases for me.

Binker & Moses, Chip Wickham, and Yusef Kamaal were what got me hooked on all this.

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

13. olson

olson Forum Resident

Have to agree with your comment on the current UK jazz scene. Seems that is all I have been listening to in the last week or so. There seems to be a soulfulness to much of this music that I am really enjoying.

I ventured into this music after Roon Radio played some of The Greg Foat Group after I listened to a Cat Toren recording. Since then I have been exploring Matthew Halsall and the Gondwana Orchestra, Shabaka & the Ancestors and Collocutor.

I am surprised not to find (or have missed) an SHF thread dedicated to the current UK jazz scene.

BYW, thanks for name-checking those other artists. I just added a bunch of their albums to my listening queue in Tidal/Roon.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  14. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Trust In is one of my favorite LPs this year. Agree with all the above posts, this UK jazz scene is making contemporary jazz exciting again because it feels like it’s in dialogue with other contemporary music. This one feels like it would be a good gateway into the veneer even for non-believers, it invokes the electronic elements so well.

The record is in my list to buy. I saw the mentioned VMP variant pressed at QRP, but their prices have gotten quite high for one-offs, and the shipping has gotten worse. I’ll probably go with the standard version of this.

15. zombiemodernist

Got my vinyl copy in today from Amazon after a minor screw up that resulted in me getting Primus’ Pork Soda instead....

The pressing is pretty nice overall. It appears to be a QRP job already (so really not sure what VMP is boasting about) and cut by Bernie Grundman (BG only in the deadwax but it looks like his writing). The sound is very good, and side one is virtually silent. Side two has some extremely minor visible non-fill on inspection but plays through almost completely silent with my setup as well. The faintest of surface noise in the last track, but this could be improved with a wet clean.

Overall this album is a fun one. Nice full energetic and punchy sound and doesn’t overstay its welcome. I’m sure it will get many more spins from me.

16. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

There’s a new album out... The Afterlife. Listening now. I don’t think it’s available for physical release until December (CD). There’s also been no vinyl announcement yet. Love these guys!

17. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Massive fan of the band. Bought both CD releases and EP downloads of the Prophecey and Death To The Planet. Going to see them at a UK venue soon.

For those of you who prefer vinyl, the Leaf Label are repressing the two EP's.

The Leaf Label: NEWS: The Comet Is Coming EP represses

The UK jazz scene certainly is buzzing right now and is thoroughly deserving of a dedicated thread.Travelled to London earlier this year to hear two exciting new artists from the Jazz Refreshed record label,Sarah Tandy and Rosie Turton.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  18. zombiemodernist

The shorter follow-up to Lifeforce is out on streaming now — titled The Afterlife. I think this is great as well, similar sonic palate as the last one, starts off bombastically with some spoken word from Joshua Idehen, and then goes for a more lowkey, chilled out atmosphere afterwards. Hopefully this will see physical release soon.

19. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Release date December 6 according to Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Afterlife-...COMET+IS+COMING&qid=1570147657&s=music&sr=1-1

In the meantime, tickets have arrived for O2.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  20. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Bought the LP today because of this thread. I sometimes like my music to soundtrack collapsing of blackholes. Look forward to listening, love intense drumming with huge synth washes, the sax should be a bonus (sure it's the main draw for most). Comets remind me a bit of another band of young cosmic voyagers with a nutty space themed name, Space Junk is Forever.

Comets are playing tonight in Toronto.

21. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I thought of this as well. One of the very best episodes.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Anyone know the identification differences between the 1st press and reissues of their EPs? Discogs isn't very clear.

23. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Got back an hour ago after seeing the mighty Comet give a fiery performance live at Shepherd's Bush, London. I'm still buzzing and can honestly say I haven't been this enthused about new music for quite a while.

24. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I have this preordered:
    [​IMG]

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  25. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the RSD pressing and it sounds great. Bernie Grundman cut the lp and the pressing is great.

ziggytvs and Electric like this.