The Compleat Beatles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Clark V Kauffman, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you picked right! this is where it belongs...

Peter_R likes this.
  2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Someone might disagree but it sounds like George is saying that they offered Please Please Me when he wanted to release How Do You Do You.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  3. Detroit Rock Citizen

I also have to say that Malcolm McDowell's narration is superb. One of the best performances of his career

The Beave, Simon A, Playloud and 6 others like this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

My laser disc is still in it's shrink

5. Detroit Rock Citizen

AFAIK my tape still works. I put Forrest Gump in the player a couple of months ago and it wasn't turning. There's a couple more VCRs around but I haven't tried them

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

These are the people who were in the Beatles orbit. Allen Williams, Bob Wooler, Bill Harry, Tony Sheridan, Horst Fasher, Billy J. Kramer, Gerry Marsden, George Martin and so on. If I'm not mistaken the only talking head is Nicholas Schaffner, the author of the excellent Beatles Forever.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm not hooked up with VHS any longer...but from what I remember my tape is fine.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, that is the story that George Martin told for years: that How Do You Do It was recorded for the band's second single, but that they persuaded him to release Please Please Me instead. I'm pretty sure it was only in the early 90s (when Lewisohn's recording sessions book came out) that it became common knowledge that How Do You Do It was actually recorded at the September 4th session, which meant it was in contention with Love Me Do as the first single, rather than with PPM as the second.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I just checked the Hunter Davies book, and it turns out George Martin was misremembering the chronology regarding How Do You Do It as early as 1967:

George Martin, meanwhile, was pleased but not overexcited by "Love Me Do." "I didn't think it was all that brilliant, but I was very thrilled by the reaction to the Beatles and their sound. The problem now was to get a follow-up record for them." He found a song he was sure was going to be a hit called "How Do You Do It." He sent it to the Beatles who didn't like it. George Martin said he did. He was the boss. He wanted them to record it. So they had to. They did, but still said they didn't like it and didn't want it produced. It was a brave, or perhaps simply naive, show of stubbornness for a group of young, inexperienced provincials who couldn't even read or write music to tell the highly knowledgeable and powerful George Martin that they knew better than he did.

"I told them they were turning down a hit. It was their funeral, but if they were going to be so obstinate, then they had better produce something better themselves. They were very self-opinionated in those days. They haven't changed one bit. They did produce something better, 'Please Please Me,' which knocked me out."

Martin repeats this story in his 1979 All You Need Is Ears. And both Nicholas Schaffner and Phil Norman also tell the same story in their books, which were two of the better-known Beatles bios of that era.

10. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Also Lenny Kaye.

905 and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Does anyone have any idea of a release date? I know it wasn't released theatrically in the United States, but I remember seeing it on home video (VHS) around Thanksgiving 1982. Some sources cite PBS airings as well.

I still have my CED copy, but the playback is a bit acky-dacky!

[​IMG]

intv7 and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Right, they really start popping up with Sgt Pepper. You got to love Wilfred Mellers.

14. Detroit Rock Citizen

I recorded my first copy off of PBS. The 30th Anniversary Pepper followed it. The VHS copy I have now was given to me by a friend a few years back.

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They gave the VHS about 3 years of sales before it was on TV here.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

It amazes how this and the Rutles have the same general layout.

17. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Isn’t Mia Farrow in it as well?

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I still have the 1994 remastered LaserDisc of THE COMPLEAT BEATLES. We were out in the Chicago suburbs in the 90s and on "Black Friday" stopped into the Tower Records on Golf Road in Schaumberg. At that time, DVD was still a little ways off, and I was still big into LaserDiscs. This LaserDisc has a "NEW REMASTERED EDITION" banner across the top. It made for a really decent DVD-R.

[​IMG]

DVD-R playing on my den TV:
    [​IMG]

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My favorite quote from him in the film is when he says that The Beatles arrived just in time to “save” America…then he pauses…and says in that cynically sarcastic way of his..”but from WHAT?”.

andrewskyDE, Mylene, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  20. Detroit Rock Citizen

You forget anything that comes out of Malcom McDowell's mouth sounds cynical and sarcastic. :D

The Beave and DK Pete like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This film should absolutely receive restoration and I think it would be a very good seller; it’s perfect for the younger fan who wants to start off with the essential “basics” and my guess is that there is a very good number of older fans, myself included, that would love a great looking, remastered version.

andrewskyDE and Peter_R like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yea, true.

23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Whomever chose the commentors did an excellent job. I was wondering for years WTF Milt Okun (John Denver's producer) was included until I remembered that he was the one that edited the Complete Beatles sheet music books. I read on these pages that the whole thing started as a promotional film for that set of books.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

As a commentator? No. She's on film clips from India though,

25. Detroit Rock Citizen

I like how during the beginning exposition he says 'A trucker from Mississippi named Elvis Aron Presley, then ..... nothing else about Elvis until he join's the army