The Compleat Beatles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Clark V Kauffman, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )

2. 905

905 Senior Member

While I was most familiar with it on PBS in 1987, I remember it airing at least once in syndication in St Louis in the early 90s.

3. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Ha! I don't think anyone has mentioned Marianne Faithfull yet.

andrewskyDE and Peter_R like this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I, for one, would love to see MORE of the spinning "Revolver" album cover!

5. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

she was more of a participant in a sense, but ya she was part of the onslaught of talking heads that started with the Pepper segment

6. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I'll join the chorus to say that it is a very well done documentary. It rode the wave of Beatles nostalgia that peaked after John's murder and was well-timed for the new and expanding home video market. I recall renting the VHS tape of it at least a couple of times. I didn't buy a copy because at that point prerecorded tapes were still very expensive - something like $75 per copy (in early 1980's dollars that was A LOT).

7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

My parents bought me a copy of "The Star Wars" on VHS for Christmas 1982 and it was $125.00. :faint:

The Beave, andrewskyDE and Simon A like this.
  8. jimmi a

jimmi a Forum Resident

I played the guitar on Raunchy for this film. My band also played "20 Flight Rock" & "Be Bopa Lula" near the beginning of the film.

9. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Why isn't possible that having already recorded it that it couldn't have been considered briefly as the second single? Please Please Me was recorded initially also in September 1962. I see nothing wrong with GM's version of events

The Beave likes this.
  10. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

That's what was reported at the time the book began to sell.

"To help the Oct. 1 publication, the publishers have produced a one-hour film, available as a videocassette which contains vintage Beatles movie clips, promo films and television tapes, as well as filmed comments on the Beatles by Brian Epstein, George Martin and others. The tape will be released in the videocassette and videodisk market, and will also be available as promo for the book.
    Billboard - October 3, 1981
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  11. Detroit Rock Citizen

For one thing they had already recorded a "fast" of Please Please Me on September 10th. So when it came time to release the second single, George had to have known it existed. He would have said, Let's re-record Please Please Me. Just saying.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

He's sitting on this the same reason things go in and out of the "Disney Vault"...only his master is sitting next to George Martin's frozen head.

To his frame of view, Anthology was the "restoration".

There's a bootie Director's Cut of Anthology out there; perhaps Peter Jackson would like to take a stab at smushing that together with Compleat, and running it all through the Grain Reducer 3000. Horrifying and delighting Fab Obsessives at the same time! :D

13. Michael

and the rental VHS averaged more! over $100.00 for the proprietor....but they got more than their investment as the tapes earned cash! crazy times...

14. Michael

still have my copy...
    [​IMG]

15. Michael

great times for the studios and one couldn't even copy that $125.00 prize.

16. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

That’s who it was. Was thinking Mia Farrow. Awful outdoor footage of her in the sun.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Martin says that they didn't record How Do You Do It until after Love Me Do had been released, which is obviously incorrect. In fact, he says he didn't even find the song until after Love Me Do had been released.

It's possible that at the November 26 1962 session Martin suggested that they consider How Do You Do It for their second single, either using the existing September version or re-recording it. And it's possible the Beatles countered by saying they wanted to do Please Please Me. But that doesn't change the fact that Martin misremembered when they recorded How Do You Do It and forgot that it was originally pitched as the Beatles' first single, not their second. And he also forgot that he'd already heard their new arrangement of Please Please Me before Love Me Do had even been released and wasn't hearing it for the first time in November.

None of this is a big deal. It's understandable that Martin would forget specific details about those early sessions, since at that point recording The Beatles was just another day at the office for him, having no more significance than any of his other work. But regardless, his version of events in inaccurate in notable ways.

18. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I managed to get a DVD copy about 15 years ago - likely sourced from VHS - and have never watched it . . . even though I really liked it when I saw it on TV!

19. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

That's my point. All this happened in a very short period of time. A week after being told that How Do You Do It could be a single they bring in PPM.

20. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I bought the VHS here in Australia in the mid-1980s. I also bought the companion 2 book sheet music set. Absolutely cherished that set, even meticulously taped the box up when it split. Unfortunately, like a fool, I threw it out when moving house in the late 90s. :/

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  21. Detroit Rock Citizen

But they already had recorded PPM the same day they recorded the Andy White version of Love Me Do. I remain unconvinced by your train of thought.

apesfan likes this.
  22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

The SLHF-1000? The holy grail of Betamaxes? I'm jealous. I do still have a functional 900 though.

23. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Yeah it still works well.
    Super beta, beta 1 recording and playback. Having some fun now playing some old tapes.
    Be back soon....John M.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  24. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

At a Beatle convention in 1986-87 I purchased the full Ed Sullivan appearances on beta 1 speed. It still looks great and was supposedly used for boots. I know not a good topic here but it's an amazing historical piece. After 3 decades in attic everything is still great, - knock wood. John...

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  25. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Me as well.

longdist01 and Michael like this.