The Complete Sessions at West 54th DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I found the Ben Folds DVD at a Sam Goody in our mall of all places yesterday! I've never bought anything in that rat hole but I couldn't put this one down, and it was even on sale.

The guy introducing the band at the start basically said "If you've seen Ben Folds Five, you're a fan. If you haven't, you're about to be one". How true!

I LOVE Ben Folds with and without the "Five", but even I was blown away by this incredible performance. God what a band, what a bunch of brilliant songs and writing, what passion and energy. Geeks can rock too! :)
    Typical of this series, the video and audio quality is incredible. Shame this show's been canceled.

I also own the Neil Finn Sessions DVD. A stark contrast to the Folds set. Finn's is quiet and melancholy.

Hope these DVDs keep trickling out. I know there's a compilation or two out there.

Dan C

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Wasn't there an Elvis Costello/Burt Bacharach installment in this series? If that's ever released on a DVD, I'll buy it!

It's unfortunate that Detroit's PBS station is so out of the loop on this stuff. Austin City Limits is aired at 2:00AM! I hate having to tape things (since I usually end up not watching them), but it's the only way I'll ever see these shows. Austin City Limits is one of their best, most popular music shows, and our local affiliate would rather air those stuffy British dramas all the time. :yawn: We don't even get "Sessions at W. 54th" here, or a few other music series or specials.

IMHO, PBS would do really well to put out more DVD and home video products. The majority of their programming I do not like, but for those who like it, it's such a niche item that PBS could probably sell a fair number of copies.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Rudy - if you have cable or a good antenna, you may be able to pick up WFUM from Flint. They carry "Sessions at West 54th".

Regards,

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

"Sessions" is produced and owned by Sony, so they're the ones we thank for issuing the DVDs.
    I was under the impression that "Sessions" was out of production and canceled, but I'd be happy to be wrong on this.

"Austin City Limits" has always been one of my favorite music shows. Man, it's a gold mine of my favorite artists from Tom Waits to Los Lobos to Whiskeytown to Willie Nelson, etc. I pray every night to the video gods that a massive DVD series finally comes out of that show.

Dan C

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've tried pointing the aerial to the north, but it comes in fuzzy at best. (Ideally I'd have built a tower for the antenna.) It's going to suck when I move back to Warren. We get the Toledo stations here, and Flint on a good night. Can't get crap in Warren unless I stick the antenna on a tower.

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

West 54th

I have at least one compilation, maybe two. I recall a tune with Shawn Colvin and Steuart Smith and Larry Klein that was really great. I love that show. I get a kick out of watching John Hiatt and David Byrne interview people.

Cheers!
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.