“The Conners” to premiere October 16th 2018 on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Thank you.

AKA and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

FWIW, I'm seeing season premiere 10/21/20.

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

any news about katey sagal ? is she leaving the show ?

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Hopefully she can pull double-duty on two shows, like Johnny Galecki did during that last season of The Big Bang Theory. Katey Sagal and John Goodman have great chemistry.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

shes on a new show?

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. AKA

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

8. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I hate to say it because Rosanne is a horrible person but the show is so much worse without her.

9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

That's the Carsey-Warner formula - take some who is talented but troubled and let them lean HARD in the the troubled part and it makes great TV. Sometmes it doesn't work out for the star - sometimes it does.

Cosby.
    Roseanne.
    Grace Under Fire.

Huge hits- insane people getting insane.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The show is worse without her character, but I still find it pretty enjoyable.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I've never heard anything about Cosby being difficult on the set, though. So with him it's a quite different situation than with Roseanne or Brett Butler.

12. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Does anyone ever see Roseanne coming back?

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no shes dead on the show lol

905 likes this.
  14. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I never heard stories about Brett Butler, she was difficult too?

15. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I actually like the show just fine with her gone, gives more time for the other characters.
    I've always preferred Darlene and Dan in the show anyways. Although i do think they made Aunt Jackie out to me a bit more crazy than she
    was in the original 9 seasons. I liked her a lot back then but not nearly as much in the current seasons. But just as long as Darlene and Dan are
    there i will for sure be watching til the end !

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Five different showrunners in five seasons. Two cast members who quit the show mid-contract (and whose contracts were paid out). And substance abuse issues, which ultimately ended the show. I’ve seen her interviewed where she seems contrite about what happened and how she treated people.

Don’t forget Cybill when it comes to Carsey-Werner star vehicles with difficult stars.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

so was Dan :)

18. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

That last season of Rosanne was NOT Rosanne - it was basically a soft-reboot of Absolutely Fabulous.

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Look at Lisa Bonet and the way he treated her for being her own individual who just happened to be an actress on his show. First Angel Heart (a movie with peak-era DeNiro and Mickey Rourke, same year Cosby did Leonard Pt. 6 mind you), then him not being happy she married Lenny Kravitz (someone who still has a successful career 30 years later) and then canning her from A Different World for not having an abortion (and now Zoe Kravitz is a success in her own right). F*** Bill Cosby, even as a kid I liked Bonet better and history has worked in her favor now that she's happily married to one of the most desired men in the world and has a successful daughter and friendly relationship with her ex-husband, while Cosby is in prison.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm not saying Cosby doesn't have serious issues, of course. But his behavior towards Bonet falls under the umbrella of being an overcontrolling, patriarchal executive producer, wanting to control her image both on and offscreen. That's quite different than the behavior of Roseanne and Butler, both of whom were disruptive on their sets and abusive towards writers and showrunners. My point was that I have not heard any stories about Cosby behaving in an entitled, disruptive, or unprofessional manner on the set of The Cosby Show in the manner that both Barr and Butler did on their shows.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  21. AKA

Not to mention the fact that she flashed her breasts in front of the nine-year-old child actor who played her son, who ended up leaving the show over the incident. (His character was aged up and recast.)

Incidentally, he ended up committing suicide a few years ago. He was 33.

22. Dave Thomas said that he would decide he'd had enough of Butler's behavior by the end of the season but, like passing a car accident, every year he went back because he couldn't help staring at the wreckage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.