“The Conners” to premiere October 16th 2018 on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not too bad. Roseanne was hiding pills all over the place. That part worked out well. I'll be watching.

2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Maybe she does buddy but dont we all??

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

knowing how fickle viewers are. im guessing they put a ton of effort into the first comeback episode, if it isn't clicking that's not a good sign, the nest ep will probably be the one that tells the tale

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, I for one don't need help doing anything close to what she did... I can say that for sure.

GLUDFSSR, MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I missed tonight's episode but I'm looking forward to watching it online. I hope it does well.

But... If this falters in the ratings does ABC panic, bring Roseanne back, and say that "The Conners" was all just a bad dream Dan had?

"No way, they would never do that" you say. Well, stranger things have been done in TV Land before...

6. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Nope, this will be Darlene’s lastest book. I truly don’t think we have seen the last of Roseanne Barr/Conner

Dude111 likes this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

They decided to cancel the Roseanne show (at a loss, since the stars had guaranteed contracts) rather than continue with Roseanne, because they decided the negative publicity and damage to the network's image would outweigh any profits made. There is absolutely no way they would bring Roseanne back now. No way. If the new show gets poor ratings they will simply cancel it, as was their original plan.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

P.S- I don't want them to bring her back at all so I'm not rooting for this scenario. I want "The Conners" to succeed as it is.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought it was terrible (as I predicted). I’m done.

goodiesguy, ArpMoog, Dude111 and 5 others like this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought it was fantastic. Goodman, Metcalf and even Gilbert shone bright. Bring on the next episode!

11. It wasn't that bad. I will continue to watch to see how it rolls along.

12. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I think tonight's episode was handled well, and I;m going to keep on watching. I had always thought that John Goodman was the best part of the show anyway......

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I wish Roseanne season 10 was still available to watch though :cry:

905 likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it will be kept "in the vaults" for some time but will eventually become part of the overall Roseanne TV syndication package at some point and will eventually get a streaming and DVD release (along with The Conners).

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I liked the episode and they handled it well.

But, I did notice one thing. It seemed they were using canned laughter tracks more in this episode than they did in Roseanne, especially the scene in which Jackie was redecorating the Kitchen.

Dude111 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm assuming the episode wasn't filmed before a live studio audience because they didn't want the surprise fate of Roseanne to get leaked (but that's just a guess).

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, I didn't even make it to the first commercial break. These terrible reboots have got to stop. COME UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL!! (And actually witty...and no laugh track.)

18. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I was underwhelmed but as stated up-thread it's a transition episode. I'll give it another episode or two before I write it off.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This. These are the real actors in the series, and to be able to see them(especially Goodman and Metcalf) get to start to really stretch(hopefully the writing will keep up) could be the best thing that ever happened to this series.

Can't believe how thin Goodman has gotten. I assume(and hope) he's healthy and it's as a result of his quitting drinking etcI. It was a right look for him last night. He seemed almost frail which fit in perfectly with the theme of the episode.

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Not expecting more of this show anyway. They'll get their season to make sure the crew is taken care of, wrap up loose ends, and that'll be that.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what were the ratings?

22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

To be honest, I don't actually think ABC has high hopes. So if the ratings are down, ABC will not be surprised. After the firing, ABC could not pull the plug since it will make them look like "firing victims" due to Rosanne's comments. I hope the show does well enough for a third season. If so, I would expect a love interest will be written in for Goodman's character to fill avoid.

23. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I kinda liked it, a little dark for my tastes, some of it hit me in a personal way, it was handled in the proper light and had some funny bits as well. I'm in for more!

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The rating for last night's episode was 10.5 million viewers, which is notably less than last season's premiere (27.3 million viewers) but slightly better than last season's finale (10.3 million viewers). Depending on how you want to spin it, that's bad ("a season premiere with all this publicity should have drawn more viewers") or good ("they maintained the ratings level of the final four episodes of last season"). Ultimately we can't draw any real conclusions until we see where the ratings level off after a few episodes. Will there be a steep decline, or will it stay at roughly the level it's at now?

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was kind of underwhelmed by the first episode of the last season of Roseanne but it got a lot better with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th episodes in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.