“The Conners” to premiere October 16th 2018 on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Roseanne Connor reminds me of my own mother growing up, but my mom was a single parent. Best mom ever and Roseanne was the best TV mom ever. Even in 2018.

2. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed.
    I for one think it's poppycock. Pure speculation by guessers.
    40-something Becky with a dead-end job and drinking problem is my favorite character in the new series anyway. I'm tuning in for her.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, I kinda want to see what happens with her. Maybe moreso than Darlene, actually...

I wonder if we'll find out what happened to Jackie's son Andy who has yet to be mentioned at all And will Dan and Roseanne's son Jerry be mentioned ever again? I'd be shocked if we hear about either ever again. heh...

4. 905

905 Senior Member

That was odd about how they stuck Jerry Garcia working on a fishing boat. In other words, he doesn't exist anymore.

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Jerry would essentially have to be a new character in the reboot, and I think it would have been an insurmountable task for the writers to introduce a 23-year-old fourth Conner kid the audience doesn’t know like it knows Becky, Darlene and D.J.

Having him on a fishing boat is sort of a lazy solution to the problem, though; it reminds me of Bub in My Three Sons moving to Ireland or the first Mr. and Mrs. Wilson (Dennis the Menace) taking care of affairs “back east.” Even though Jerry was born in season eight, the Roseanne reboot team could have figured out a way to retcon his entire existence as part of Roseanne’s book.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

And it's odd that they felt the need to explain his absence yet they retconned Jackie's son out of existence with nary a word.

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The article doesn't suggest that at all: "Two senior executives at the network told the outlet that ABC President Channing Dungey’s decision to immediately fire the actress and cancel her show..."

8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I say the series will be over quickly. Not just because if RB, just these nostalgic things outside of a limited run grows tired.

9. AKA

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

My prediction: There'll be a ratings bump with people wanting to see how they disposed of the fictional Roseanne and then a steady decline.

BeatleJWOL and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

My prediction: It will only be on the air for a few episodes and then get canceled very quickly.

GLUDFSSR and Paper Wizard like this.
  12. AKA

Which is the same thing that happened last season.

13. 905

905 Senior Member

Then hopefully a streaming channel will pick it up. I want Thanksgiving with the Conners.

cwitt1980 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I imagine it will do well enough that we'll get a second season... unless John Goodman has a Twitter meltdown of course. :)

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I like Rosannes original show and think this whole thing is bizarre........

Rosanne is a good person!!!!!

16. AKA

She needs help.

17. 905

905 Senior Member

Amazing episode. I can't imagine not tuning in next week.
    I'm content.

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

me too. it made me sad roseanne is dead though

19. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed.
    I remember watching the first episode of Roseanne, thirty years ago this Thursday.
    :(
    The reason I remember watching it, is because I remember laughing at how clever it was when Darlene answered the phone, and Roseanne said tell them I'm not here. Darlene says to the person on the phone "my mom said she's not here."

Or something similar at least. I was only 11 years old, but I had enough TV sitcom watching under my belt to know that this show is going to be good. Very, very good.

20. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I miss Roseanne Conner, but the death made total sense and they handled it great. I will be watching.

21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Boy, that episode was weak. Few laughs and no sense of the rhythm essential to sitcoms. What a waste of a mostly great cast. I’m out.

22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I AGREE with absolutely NOTHING you said.

#internet

23. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

You're judging by a single transition episode?

24. Jerry

Good to know.

25. Jerry

Yes.

S. P. Honeybunch and cwitt1980 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.