The Corona Effect- Affected your audio journey?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Hasn't really affected my audio journey, I realized recently (before the Covid19 crisis) that my system is more than adequate for enjoying music fully in the small space I inhabit. In terms of music though, I'm finding that it's harder to get 'lost' in it; the situation in the world outside is hard to shove into the back of my mind. But I always have music on -- without it, the silence now seems oppressive.

kt66brooklyn, Mike-48, DPM and 6 others like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

This may not be what you need at this time, but perhaps your wife has some time on her hands:

3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I am in an interesting place during these times. Back in early February I had a major operation and my post op recovery orders were to stay at home and isolate just like what the rest of the country began doing 3 weeks later. These orders pre-dated the Corona virus isolation orders. I was told to keep my legs elevated either in bed or while sitting in a chair with a hassock. My home theater recliner fits that bill nicely. So I am "sentenced" to my home theater recliner during the day. These are scary times for me because I do not have much of an immune system right now. Going forward, I will always be on immuno suppression drugs.

My recovery is going great and it has allowed me plenty of quality time listening to my huge backlog of albums. I had purchased a new EAT Jo No 8 cartridge at the end of the year. I had worked right up to the week of the operation and had not really had time to enjoy the new cartridge. My record backlog consisted of 4 boxes of my albums that were in storage since the mid 80's. I had a bunch of "old friends" to get reacquainted with. Since adding a turntable to my home theater in 2018, I have been buying new and used records at a scary pace so I have a huge backlog from these purchases. It took a few weeks at home before I could easily get up and down from the recliner to flip records every 15-20 minutes. Since then I have been having a blast listening to my old and new record collection. I have been having theme days: the Beatles Mono Box, SRV Texas Hurricane, New Wave Records from my archive, Duke Ellington from the 20's - 60's etc. Some days I just toss on a record and let this suggest what will be next. I have been using online purchases to get what I've needed and I've ordered a few LP's this way. Listening to great music has been a powerful medicine for me. When my condition worsened at the end of 2019, I honestly did not know if I would even be around to listen to these records. I feel like I have been given a new lease on life. Listening to my LPs has served to distract me from thinking 24/7 about the virus and my own suppressed immune system.

I have been using online purchasing to get a few audio related items I've needed and to purchase a few records. The only impact the virus has had in this regard is I had ordered a Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube SC-2 back in the Fall and it was getting close to being built and shipped. But with California and Silicon Valley shut down, that is on hold. There is no hurry on that in my mind. Hopefully I now have many years ahead of me to enjoy it once it does arrive.

My best wishes to everyone here and your families. Be safe, be well.

DPM, 33na3rd, Ontheone and 13 others like this.
  4. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Actually, the lockdown has had an additional effect on my audio journey. As I'm able to work from home AND only have a short commute, I don't really have that much more time during the week. But all social engagements on weekends are now canceled, and that has given me the time to finally, finally getting my music room cleaned out and tidied up. In stages, though :rolleyes:, so I'm not quite there yet. But still, I'm enjoying it immensely.

DPM and timind like this.
  5. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

So sorry to hear about your system. If I hadn't given up phono 15 years ago, I'd look around the cellar for spare gear to send you.

I can't overstate my admiration for the medical professionals who are working their way through this mess. It saddens and angers me to know that adequate protective equipment is not available. Your dedicated work is a tremendous gift to us all.

It's also maddening to hear that the general public is not taking more caution. I wish people would THINK that if they get sick, they will unavoidably endanger others, including medical professionals taking very real risks to save others.

In an ideal world, we would have masks and gloves for everyone and people would wear them. It seems the authorities aren't even trying to make same available.

Anyway, good luck with your phono stage! May you and your child remain healthy for a long time, and get plenty of pleasure from it!

kt66brooklyn, timind, 33na3rd and 7 others like this.
  6. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Stupid Covid- 19 is wearing out my new cartridge pretty quickly.:D

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I was, for a while, at the top of a transplant list and was just waiting for the call. Fate intervened and I didn't have it. That was over 5 years ago. I would also have been on immuno-suppressants for life. I've been thinking about what that would have meant right now. Just wanted to wish the best for you and...keep enjoying your audio! Great to be alive, isn't it!

kt66brooklyn and timind like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have spent the past few days cleaning piles of the many obscure old 45s I've found at flea markets over the past 25+ years, many of which I might never have even played before, and then digitizing them. It's actually been a lot of fun.

Mike-48, timind and bever70 like this.
  9. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Nothing is open so I have just been doing minor household projects and cleaning that I normally don't have much time for. Not so worried about any virus, I just like a clean house.
    My stereo system is right where I want it and can afford so no upgrades but I did recently take everything apart for dusting, bundling cables, checking calibrations on my cassette decks, and replaced a pair of burnt-out volume bulbs on my Pioneer SX-60 receiver.

I haven't had much of a social life for probably 6 years now so this whole "stay away from everyone" thing is nothing new to me. I have my room mate but very few other contacts.

My job has not nor will it be affected as far as hours. For three weeks though, we get extra on our paychecks if we work at least our scheduled number of hours.
    They recently gave everyone two weeks extra worth of sick time should we need it. I think they realized their mistake a bit too late with the extra sick time and the attendance problems that would arise. At some point later this year, they will cash out whatever we don't use of that two weeks worth.
    Ironic though, for the first time in history, some of us lower wage workers are treated like we actually matter.

The cat is probably doubting if you are running the proper gauge of wires to the speakers. This could cause a heated argument if you and the cat disagree.
    It is probably what the other specs are also such as wattage rating, sensitivity, frequency crossover points, and if you are running an EQ, if the setting are optimized for the best sound.
    Just don't even bring up the subject of Bose speakers, that brand is the center of serious debate and argument.

When you replace the cartridge, if this covid 19 is still big, make sure you put a face mask on the cartridge and tell it to wash it's hands frequently and to stay at least 6 feet away from other cartridges.

10. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Covid 19.
    Death of the Hippie Culture.
    Vietnam.
    Riots and Death---Inner Cities on Fire.

Nah.

Seen this **** before.

Reminds me of Will Smith getting panicked in "Men in Black" Volume One.
    "Aliens are attacking Our planet and killing everyone---HELP!" says Will.
    Tommy Lee Jones answers: "There are ALWAYS Aliens attacking the planet. They are Always killing people. Just another day's work..."

Keep your focus.

I was struck this summer by seeing the beauty of the Adirondack Mountains for the forth or fifth time...
    It seems God really DIGS natural beauty.
    He likes exquisite things.
    So I bet he really digs me sitting here listening to my stereo.
    Relax.
    Do what you have to do.
    We'll get over this---or NOT.
    It is all beautiful.
    And at the end we all move on anyway.
    Enjoy, my friends...
    If you are in the middle of a fight for your life just remember you have a lot of company.
    GOOD company.
    BEAUTIFUL company.

DPM, ben_wood, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  11. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

If that’s what she’s thinking then she’s way deeper than I am. I think she’s just trying to choose which piece of equipment gets the biggest response out of me when threatened.

[​IMG]

She straight up tried to chew on the corner of one of my amps today.

[​IMG]

12. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Well, my family is back in the EU (along with my two channel stereo that I have migrated over a few months back) and I hope nothing is going to happen to them b/c it is nearly impossible for me to go see them due to travel restrictions and even if I get there two weeks of mandatory quarantine I face so music (through a splendid headphone system) and good books are my only solace. I'm going kinda nuts (depressed?) and stressed out b/c of the isolation by being alone in L.A. alone now...

DPM and timind like this.
  13. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I usually pick up 2-3 new LPs or CDs or SACDs each month (on average - I could go 3 months with nothing, and then pick up 10 in month 4), but in order to prepare for the worst, I've eliminated all discretionary spending. If it isn't food, household goods, gas, utilities, or housing, I'm not spending.

Mike-48, mreeter and bever70 like this.
  14. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

My cat chews on the corner of my coffee table. Ridiculous animals sometimes, lol. Luckily, they've ignored my speakers since I moved to towers with nothin but slick finish halfway up. I had grills from the floor up before and it was a nightmare. I re-covered those grills twice before I ended up selling them and they looked horrible when I did.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

DyersEve726, fellow Michigander, thanks for starting this thread and the perspective. My audio journey is a bit slower and spaced out than many of you...usually a new piece every couple of years. Interesting enough, just upgraded my speakers to KEF Reference 1 in February. Was planning on upgrading my amp as well, but that is now on hold. Not only are auditions impossible right now, it’s probably not the time for frivolous spending anyway. Instead, I’m enjoying what I have - listening to albums I haven’t listened to in years.

For me, my audio journey this year is a microcosm of life - realizing the importance of appreciating what I have :)

DyersEve726, DPM and mreeter like this.
  16. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

They like to sit near the warm tubes. And maybe their sense of smell has them like the smell of those hemp woofers? Regardless your cat has excellent taste.

17. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Originally I was told I had 10-15 years before needing new liver. Then in May I developed liver cancer. I had to go through 3 month qualification process to become transplant candidate. Then I had to get experimental radiation treatment to reduce tumors so I could get transplanted. I had to wait 3 months for radiation to work. In December I was tested and cancer was in remission, I was on the transplant list but was told 6-9 month minimum wait. Instead was 6 weeks. A liver became available in the midwest and out of whole US I was closest match. I had 30 minutes to drive to clinic and start being tested and prepped. I really think fate intervened for me too. If I hadn't gotten my transplant just before all the quarantines, who knows when it would have happened. I am sure the virus has affected the schedule of transplants.

You are right. It is amazing to be alive!! Every day convalescing at home I enjoy my old and new LPs. Thanks for your best wishes Bruce!

18. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Hold on things Will get better eventually. I am in 2 weeks Quarantaine here myself with my daughter and wife.

Omnio and George P like this.
  19. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I certainly enjoy listening to records. The therapeutic value of music is amazing. Yesterday I listened to all four sides of the Beatles. It was wonderful. I am less critical of my own system, or at least I think less about possible changes. (I have not fully banished the thoughts, however.) I do not have a vast collection and would love to acquire more records. I would welcome a trip to Waterloo Records or Half Price Books, even if only to browse. Hopefully all in good time. Stay safe, everyone.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I personally think we all need to face the reality of personal funds getting tighter. I myself am safe harboring as much money as I can before things get worse, IE: my hobby can be put on hold.

21. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Man, I really don't want to see a lot of people's gear coming up for sale to pay the bills. Not the way any of us want to score a deal. Maybe they can sell it on contingency like a pawn store. I'll "buy" your Herron Audio phono pre for a set price, but you have up to a year to buy it back at that same price.

22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I can hear Marlin Perkins now, "One aspect of this predator's daily existence is sizing up the various prey on hand." "Indeed, choosing which target to attack can spell the difference between success and failure."

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Well, there have been a couple of temptations in the form of used items on audiogon that I was considering. It was one of those either/or things between a used Thales tonearm (which I thought I might have installed on my Technics 1200 G) or a pair of used monitors w/stands that match what I'm using for a center channel in my surround system. Either purchase would be an expensive one. The virus has made it a moot point as I'm saving my $ by getting neither.

I'll just enjoy what I have.

timind, George P and Dubmart like this.
  24. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm used to work from home and I'm not much of an extrovert so the COVID19 quarantine isn't mentally stressful or exhausting. It just means that I'm using the PC in the study more often to connect to the servers at the office while listening to music on the LS50. The only big difference I noticed is spending more time on Tital, Deezer or Spotify to sample new music.

A long time passed since I used Tidal at home and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can now switch the audio output to exclusive mode. Strangely enough, the albums that went *poof* and disappeared overnight some time ago from my Tidal collection have magically returned, which is also nice.

25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I skipped the last two Pacific Northwest Audio Society meeting for the same reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.