The Corona Effect- Affected your audio journey?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yours truly.

timind likes this.
  2. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

good luck with that!

it has actually served as a favorable thing for me. i sorted and organized my music collection. i realized i had a bunch of new music i has not yet listened to ... so i found a couple new great artists.

but most of my time has been used experimenting with different valves, both NOS and modern, used in many different components and in various areas in the circuit.
    i spent a BUNCH of money on valves but i am learning A LOT about which one sound best and where. overall conclusion: by far the earliest valves sound the best.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  3. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Haha. I claim no ownership of that animal. She is 100% my wife’s, we just happen to share the same space.

timind and jboersma like this.
  4. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I just retired about three weeks ago, which makes me luckier than many others. I have a steady income and I'm not having to be exposed to people in the workplace. With retirement coming, I spent a lot on new equipment last year. So, I'm set that way. However, I often find myself so overcome with stress and heartbreak over this virus, that it is hard to enjoy my music or anything else. I don't think I've done so much praying as I have over the past few weeks. I just pray that this crisis will soon be over. Stay safe everybody.

Ntotrar, Big Blue, Mike-48 and 8 others like this.
  5. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Just bring Clorox/Lysol wipes.

6. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Sadly...a lot of record shops are shuttered.....many employees possibly earning minimum wage will have to figure out how to make ends meet. Uncertain how many will be able to reopen. It’s a tragic situation for life and audio journeys.
    Please stay safe...adhere to social distancing guidelines....and hopefully find comfort in the soundtrack of your life.

Big Blue and ronm like this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You could use disinfectant wipes on a headphone like Beats and such. But the wipes are not going to be a good thing for many of the expensive audiophile headphones. Many of the expensive audiophile headphones have finishes and parts that may get discolored or damaged with disinfectant wipes. Special wood finishes, carbon fiber, painted and polished parts, leather, velour, adhesives, decals. Some headphones have drivers that are exposed.

Big Blue likes this.
  8. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

I guess you take your chances.

9. MLAS

MLAS Member

Well my audio journeys are pretty over and done because I have a Conrad Johnson Premier One b amplifier that gave me the fatal blow after the first injury with my Evolution 2000.
    Wish I had kept my Sherwood receiver....

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Honestly, none of this madness has affected my audio experiences at all. I like the gear I have, I like my old CDs and LPs, but most days, just like before, I'm streaming from Pandora, Spotify, and a few jazz stations that broadcast online (Jazz24 and KJAZZ). I've been really liking the programming on Pandora's Tommy Flanagan station.

11. MLAS

MLAS Member

I don't really either but I tried to get the attention of the user 'TarnishedEars' because I found out that he has the same rare CJ Premier One b tube-amplifier as I have and because being a newbie, I'm not allowed yet to sent him a PM to ask him some questions about it.
    I think because people have to work at home more due to the virus (I'm obliged to work from home) and in case of a lockdown to stay at home, they listen much more to their audio setup.

12. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

You need to include @TarnishedEars in your post to catch his attention, he should then get an alert (depending on how he has his account set up).

As for how this COVID-19 pandemic is affecting my journey, well I have been working from home since August 2019, having left paid employment and set up my own consultancy. The major effect that I have noticed is that I am simply listening to much more music and, if I am honest, enjoying it more; I guess that I am just more relaxed and receptive.

I am really glad that I executed some pretty major upgrades over the last year or so - CDP, DAC, integrated, headphone amplifier, Gaia IIIs for the speakers and a balanced interconnect for the DAC to integrated link.

That said, I am intensely frustrated by the inability to get the upgrades to the TT that are currently sitting under my desk.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Without a cat, a stereo system sounds monotonous.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Hope you are OK, and all the best to yourself and your family. And thank you for all that you are doing right now.

15. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I have a Technics 1200 all boxed up and ready to ship to KAB to have the works done but having been furloughed, the money I do have would be better spent on necessities and bills. Or maybe the city utility will give us water for free. Maybe I won't have to pay my car insurance this month or next until things get better. I was also thinking about getting a new home theater receiver as I want to upgrade to something with Atmos. In addition, my current unit is malfunctioning; the display is out so I can't see what mode it's in, nor can I fiddle with the settings.

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Most likely it only requires a new cathode resistor and a B+ fuse. This is not a super difficult repair.

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You've got my attention now.

18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Among my greatest audio pleasures is combing the thrift stores for LPs and coming home with a stack of new acquisitions to listen through for a couple of days. Can't go shopping, so this fun is lost to me. That said, there are far more important things to worry about at the moment.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Why do you have to "have the works done"? Is something wrong with your turntable?

20. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/

Thanks.

I got my Herron in, sure looks pretty and the build quality is a step above the Chinook.
    Still no cartridge though.

Colorado's surge is expected this coming week. COVID patients are spiking, but nothing crazy yet.
    They have taken a few of the ventilators from the operating room away and created an overflow room.

Best news I got was that the organization is going to pay us 100% base pay and benefits regardless of if we are not working due to cut hours.
    I am lucky to work for one of the good ones.

If I had a cartridge, I would be great! Of course, things could be worse.
    We shall see how this week fairs.

All the best from CO

timind, ronm and Gaslight like this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

We have a saying in Russian (it rhymes): "Без кота и жизнь не та", which means "Without a cat life just isn't the same".

5-String likes this.
  22. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Like our own life and that of our loved ones.I love all my gear and music but it means nothing if I'm not here.Be safe.

mozz likes this.
  23. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

I gotta say, I'm pretty inspired by how this thread turned out. I haven't read every post, but I have seen honest replies from most everyone and a lot of comradery. Well done gentlemen. :tiphat:

24. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

My dealer loaned me a Boulder 508 to home audition, but just for a weekend (Saturday afternoon to Tuesday morning). However, after I got home the Covid-19 shutdown for non-essential businesses was announced, so my dealer told me to enjoy it until they can reopen. I still have it after a couple weeks and looks like I'll continue to have it for the rest of the month. I don't think my dealer is too worried about me having it. I've been a customer for over 25 years.

Meanwhile, I continue to work full time from home (I'm a software engineer), and I miss my cycling buddies while I ride solo. On the negative side I am worried and scared for my wife. We're both 60ish, but she is a respiratory therapist working on the front lines in the worst possible situation. She takes care of the worst of it. She is the ventilator expert you need if you get that sick. She's at most risk. We've been married 25 years and she has 35 years experience in respiratory, and I know her to be a very strong and compassionate person. And yet, I've never seen her this scared, ever! Everyone, please take this seriously and use utmost prudence. If you have to meet her, you just might die.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    mrwolk, Big Blue, Car and 6 others like this.
  25. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

Wow, a rare win in all of this. Local dealers are the best. We have all of one high end audio place in my town and the owner's kids went to school with me, so I've been afforded some extended at home time as well. I had my Parasound Hint in my home for over a week before going back and telling the man to shut up and take my money, lol.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.