The Cowsills

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Jun 29, 2016.

1. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Three performers: Bob, Susan, and Paul with Bob and Susan accompanying on guitar.

2. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Susan, Bob and Paul are the Cowsills on stage. I think Susan's husband, Russ Broussard, is the drummer.

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  3. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Folks, they were part of an oldies package tour. No drummer while they were on stage. This is different from an actual Cowsills concert where it's their show with a full band.

I also asked about the new record. Susan said that they are still working on it and to hang in there.

Tom M likes this.
  4. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I sure hope that they don't get caught up in PLEDGEMUSIC's troubles:

Pledge projects - buyers and artists beware...
    I have it on a compilation that the Cowsills sold at concerts (and maybe, on their web site). It's mono; could be a good needle drop.

5. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Was it the extended/expanded "Live in Concert" album?

6. BryanW

No, although it has virtually the same artwork, "The Cowsills" is a different private release. "Cowsills Live in Concert" (not to be confused with their 1969 live album) is dated 2014 and is the 2004 benifit concert that Amazon offers as "The Billy Cowsill Benefit Concert Featuring the Cowsills". As for that CD's being extended, only the 1969 stereo studio version of "Hair" is appended to the beginning.

[​IMG]

greelywinger and Fox67 like this.
  7. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Hmm...it has songs from "Global" on it and the only physical release of songs from "Cocaine Drain" I've ever seen.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

There are a few of these Cowsills Live CDs floating around.
    Usually sold at their concerts. The order of the track listing sometimes changes.
    Hair is always the studio version, but all the other songs are live.

Darryl

BryanW likes this.
  9. BryanW

That may be, but this CD is all studio versions except for "Shine". It's the only CD I've seen with "All I Really Want To Be Is Me", the Cowsills' version of "The Time Has Come", "Covered Wagon", "Bitter Jest", and "You've Got a Way".

I'd pick up others if I saw them, but so far, the only private-label live CD I have is the same benefit concert for Billy Cowsill that is available to download from Amazon.

It does appear that "Hair" is always the stereo studio version; I have it on this CD, "The Cowsills in Concert" (1969), "The Best of the Cowsills", "The Millenium Collection", "Painting the Day", and "Cowsills Live in Concert" (2014). You'd need a needledrop for the original mono hit.

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

They did a killer version of "Be My Baby" when I saw them a few years back in Annapolis, MD.
    Susan had on a cool pair of boots and a beautiful old Gretsch Country Gentleman.

11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

12. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

My grandfather and three great-uncles were in that war and NEVER talked about it. One of my great uncles was a marine and was on the beach at Iwo Jima - he was the only surviving member of his platoon. I never knew that until the day of his funeral. He watched his entire platoon die in a matter of days. When he came back he was kind of a high-roller type of guy. He took lots of chances and made a great life for himself mainly through real estate. My wife's dad, who I never met, enlisted at 16 years of age. They dumped him off on the beach at Normandy and he made it all the way to Germany. His two purple hearts are in a display case a few feet from me right now. He brought some demons home with him and battled them the rest of his life.

...oh, The Cowsills. Well I've had a crush on Susan since I was eight or nine years old. She's like a year older than I am...

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The men who served all deserve great thanks for their service. Whether they share their experiences is something they can decide for themselves.
    I think Tony Bennett's war experiences were revealed in a biography, and certainly not something he liked to discuss. It was a duty, and he did his part.
    An amazing person, an amazing talent. As far as the Cowsills go, they have a special place in pop music history. "I love the flower girl..." :winkgrin:

starduster and adriatikfan like this.
  14. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Saw the Cowsills on Long Island tonight. Really great show; better than expected. There was a meet and greet afterwards and I must say that Bob and Paul were the nicest entertainers I ever encountered at one of these things.

15. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Propinquity likes this.
  16. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

This e-mail arrived last night:

"An Update On Our Pledge Music Campaign

Hi all! Thank you all for the continued support. We wanted to update you guys because there have been questions about the status of everything given the various problems with Pledge Music. For those not aware, Pledge has been severely behind on paying artists and owe large amounts of money to numerous artists. I think the last I read was that they're trying to restructure at the moment. I'd recommend a quick Google search for Pledge Music - there's a lot of articles out there about this.

Currently, we’re one of many many artists who still haven’t been paid for our funded campaigns. The good news is, the band has been able to continue some production on the album! So rest assured, you all WILL have the album upon completion. AND, please be absolutely certain that you will receive the items you pledged for in time. I have, and the band has, complete inventory of everything that was ordered.

Right now we are essentially in waiting mode with the people at Pledge while they straighten their issues out. We luckily made contact with someone there after a while, so thankfully we haven’t been completely ghosted. But since the Pledge platform itself is not very useful for the time being, I wanted to email you all directly and give you an update. Unfortunately that’s all we really can say at the moment because we really don’t know what is going on besides what we were told, which is that we will eventually get the funding straightened out.

I can tell you that Bob, Susan, Paul and the band have been working hard to make the best of this situation and continue work on the album despite not having the Pledge funds. But as you can imagine, it’s been a frustrating process at times. They’re so determined to get this done, and I know firsthand that getting this project to y’all in particular is so important to them, as it is to me and the whole team/family. Hang in there with us, and I will update you all via email as this all unfolds!

I also want to encourage anyone with questions, concerns, etc. (even if you just want to geek out over favorite Cowsills songs - I'm always up for that) to email me directly at [email protected]. I will respond as promptly as possible.

Thank you all again so much. Your enthusiasm is amazing. We'll be touching base again soon, because the band will be back in the studio before HTT starts!"

Sean
    Cowsills Campaign HQ

17. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I just watched the documentary (which I discuss in a separate thread).
    I was totally unfamiliar with their music so here are a couple take a ways:
    Their 60’s music sounds like it may be better than I expected.
    The clips of the individuals playing later sounded pretty good also.

18. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

19. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Well...damned if that isn’t the greatest thing I’ve heard in a long, long time.
    Anybody gotten an update on the album they’re making?
    What a beautiful sound The Cowsills make.

DavidD, BryanW and Crimson Witch like this.
  20. Mooserfan likes this.
  21. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

On My Side (1971) is excellent and way better than I expected.

starduster likes this.
  22. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

BryanW and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

24. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

25. BryanW

Wonderful, gotta have it!
    This, too!