The Crown on Netflix.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chumlie, Nov 6, 2016.

1. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Just finished season 2 last night. Surprisingly liked it a lot...the history, performances but mostly the realization that the "Crown" as an entity is some serious, devious stuff. A real eye opener. I definitely don't think I'd want to be King or Queen...

2. The episode that explored the Queen's Nazi-sympathizing Uncle and what the limits are to forgiveness was about as good an hour of TV I have ever watched.

3. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

We just finished watching the last of season 2 a couple of nights ago. We really enjoyed both seasons partly because, as embarrassing as this is to say, neither of us know much about the Royal family or their history. We were impressed by the production quality, the acting, and the story lines although we were rather disappointed with the last 2 episodes of season 2 as they didn't seem as gripping as all the prior episodes. We were also expecting more dramatic cliffhangers - glad that didn't happen lol.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Yeah, even though I saw the movie, "King's Speech". I didn't even put it all together until this show. Why read books when we have Netflix original series!?

GroovyGuy likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, if you look up the Crown on wiki, there appears to be one large history re-write issue that was changed to make better drama.
    and I'm not a hater, we love this show.

beercanchicken likes this.
  6. Not surprising to me; and like you, it does not impact my enjoyment of the series.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I agree with the poster who said normally I’d run from this kind of show but I love the show. Very opulent. Really high-quality period piece, It’s somehow feels authentic. In the budget seems quite rich.And also walks a nice tightrope between history and trashy soap opera so that’s a plus. I guess. And the girl playing the queen I’m in love with — what a cutie.

8. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

The soundtrack is great. Some Johnnie Ray, some Ella, just fantastic. Very well done in general, and being a vintage TV collector I must say they did a superb job tracking down period television sets. I spotted only one set in the wrong place and the wrong time.

chacha and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  9. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Despicable people.

John B Good likes this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Bought the Season 1 set, and we just have seen Episode 1. Think I will enjoy it, and I'm no royalist.

As to the quality I am usually amazed at how much money and intelligence is brought to bear on entertaining us.

11. John B Good

I hate the way in which these blue-bloods were able to dispose of the world (watching Victoria too), but then I consider the way the rich handle it today.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have to give the "gilded age" rich people one thing - they employed a LOT of people. I know a surprising number of millionaires, and not one of them employs any full-time servants. They all have people to clean, a handful have people to cook, none of them have a driver.

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

God save your mad parade...

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Is the Queen watching? Hard to imagine she isn't.

John B Good likes this.
  15. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Season 2 was fantastic except for what one major clunker: the episode with the Kennedys. For a series that has done such a thorough and consistent job of making believable impersonations of well-known historical figures, they really dropped the ball with both JFK and Jackie.

Not only did neither look nor sound even remotely close to the real figures, their characterizations seemed completely at odds with every historical account I've come across. They were basically portrayed as a couple of ignorant, drug-addicted poseurs, and the whole subplot of Elizabeth traveling to Ghana out of jealousy from meeting Jackie was just laughable. It really stuck out like a sore thumb, as if from a different series entirely.

onebit, John B Good and Tamla Junkie like this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

made for a nice bit of drama though, didn't it?

i felt the earlier episode that was margaret-centric was the weakest. it felt incredibly over the top and unbelievable.

17. John B Good

We're just starting Season 2 here, and after all, are enjoying it very much.

I'm familiar with some of the real history, and so far there has been nothing jarring.

But I am amazed at how convincing the dialogue seems when there is no conceivable way it could have been reported what She and he could have said in so many private conversations.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. John B Good

Just watched that last night. Did she really dance with Nkrumah?

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Chris DeVoe and John B Good like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

When does season three start?

George Blair likes this.
  21. John B Good

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. John B Good

Just watched the second last episode of the second season. Fascinating perspective of the prince (both) in the school of hard knocks.

I wonder if Charles' Uncle Dickie really did lie to him, about keeping secrets.

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Just finished watching season 2. I will miss Claire Foy's ability to articulate so much through a facial expression. I hope Olivia Coleman is as good in the next season. I will also miss Princess Margaret's pre-echo of Amy Winehouse's eye makeup.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Season 3 starts streaming today. It's been a long time between seasons. I read that season 4 has already been filmed.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    GentleSenator and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident Thread Starter