The Crown on Netflix.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chumlie, Nov 6, 2016.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Princess Anne, as played by Erin Doherty, oughta have her own show. :)

2. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Oh man, Diana dancing to Song For Guy brought me to tears.

OobuJoobu and 4_everyman like this.
  3. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Yes and she benefits from great writing. It’s been said for decades Anne would succeed her mother if it were a merit-based appointment. Mostly with this series I’m struck by how much sympathy I find for Diana, who I remember being seen at the time as a pita.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I can't help noticing how repulsive, entitled and envious most of the Royal Family appear to be. Poor Diana.

5. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Prince Charles describing his gardens at Highgrove as "my Shangri-La, my Xanadu". Could Peter Morgan be a fan of the Electric Light Orchestra?

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

the Elk was bad CGI, otherwise, this is up to their high standards

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just watched the first episode of Season 4 last night. I'm always stunned at how little I know about these people and how much drama there was in their lives.

I'm a bit surprised to say that I don't really like Gillian Anderson's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher. Seems like a reprise of her portrayal of Miss Havisham in Great Expectations several years ago. Maybe she has less range than I expect.

8. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

The nearer it gets to now, the more they seem like caricatures. But the series misses out so much, I suppose that’s because the focus is the monarchy not the country. I always say it’s the fate of ER2 to have had her life in many ways affected by the rise and dominance of the media, and now she has to endure this version of her life, which let’s face it will be media history’s first draft, while she is still alive.

9. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The one that kills me is the Queen Mother. She's just this dotty old broad who seems to do nothing all day but drink and be royal.

John B Good likes this.
  11. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

And she was the most popular of the lot.

12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Margaret too. Terrible waste of taxpayer's money.

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this is such a great point. it describes exactly how i feel while watching this season, but i wasn't able to put those feelings into words. the only one i'm comfortable with is menzies. he seems very real.

14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am two episodes into Season one and it’s great. It funny the show doesn’t hold back like presenting Philip as the buffoon he was in real life during the foreign missions.

15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved the first two seasons. Claire Foy and Matt Smith were great as Elizabeth and Phillip, and I eagerly devoured each episode. Once the actors changed to Olivia Colman and Tobias Menzies, I have struggled to maintain interest. I am still slowly plodding through season 3.

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Doesn't end well for Diana ...

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Same for me, although I liked some of the episodes in season 3, the Welsh ones particularly.

Chris DeVoe and GentleSenator like this.
  18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I struggled a bit with season 3 too. I'm enjoying 4 maybe a bit more. It seems to me to have a certain underlying narrative which was less apparent in the first couple of seasons, but I'm still enjoying it. I worry that many viewers will view this as the authoritative history of the Royal Family though.

Hot Ptah, sharedon and muzzer like this.
  19. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I want Charles Aston Martin DB6 Volante.

chili555, tman53 and j.barleycorn like this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Just finished the episode about the intruder.
    It was an excellent stand-alone episode and refreshing to get away from Charles/Diana et al.

21. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

So did I. At first, I thought "Is this story thread really necessary?", but eventually it is.

22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I am in the middle of Season 3 and think it is as good as the first two seasons, perhaps a bit more substantial or deep.

It is a very well done show. However, whoever termed it 'historical fiction' was right. It plays very, very loose with the facts.

23. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the latest season. I know Prince Charles doesn’t come over as the most likeable but it really does show how tragic royal life could be. Imagine what kind of person he could have been if he’d been allowed to follow his heart and marry the woman he was and is so clearly in love with. I was only a kid when they were married but Diana was the dream princess but man, does she seem like hard work! Dragged the royals kicking and screaming in to modern times though.

both princess Anne and Margaret rare the real stars though for me. Love Helena bonham Carter anyway, amazing actress, but the one who plays Anne absolutely kills it

24. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I've enjoyed this season for the most part, mostly because I can't get enough of Olivia Colman.

25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The music was superb in that episode!

Joy Division, The Cure, others I can't remember...