The Cruelest and Saddest Deaths in Music History

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Way before my time but Lee Morgan, shot by his wife in between sets at (ironicaaly) Slug’s Saloon in 1972. Good documentary if you want to hear the story, I Called him Morgan, where Helen Morgan explains the background. I love Lee’s playing in the early 70s, he had adopted a more modal style and was on fire. His Live at the Lighthouse is one of my favorite box sets. Another trumpeter tragically cut down in his prime.

2. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Mick Ronson, not the cruelest, but it certainly hurt. Ian wrote one of the greatest tribute songs in it's aftermath.

3. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

Martin Lamble, killed at 19 in a van crash after a gig. A drummer of great subtlety and promise on the first three Fairport Convention albums.

Al Jackson Jr., The Stax drummer. Murdered in a very suspect burglary after surviving having been shot by his estranged wife.

4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Paul Pena, the man who wrote Steve Miller's hit "Jet Airliner". Born blind he suffered multiple ailments throughout his life before passing at the age of 55. The royalties from Miller covering his song went a long way in paying his mounting medical bills.

From Wiki:

Paul J. Pena (January 26, 1950 – October 1, 2005) was a blind American singer, songwriter and guitarist of Cape Verdean descent.

His music from the first half of his career touched on Delta blues, jazz, morna, flamenco, folk and rock and roll. Pena is probably best known for writing the song "Jet Airliner," a major 1977 hit for the Steve Miller Band and a staple of classic rock radio; and for appearing in the 1999 documentary film Genghis Blues, wherein he displayed his abilities in the field of Tuvan throat singing.

In 1997 Pena was severely injured after his bedroom caught fire. He suffered from smoke inhalation and was in a coma for four days.

Pena suffered from diabetes. He also waged a long battle with pancreatic illness, and was originally mis-diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He began chemotherapy treatments and doctors gave him six months to live. In 2000 he was properly diagnosed with pancreatitis, a life-threatening illness.

Pena died in his San Francisco, California, apartment of complications from diabetes and pancreatitis on October 1, 2005.[5][6]

yryrky, keyXVII and Elton like this.
  5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I can't find it in me to 'Like' this for reasons I think can be understood. Paul was a great artist... New Train is an album that should be in everyone's collection.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Doug Hopkins of Gin Blossoms. Apparently, fame was truly a new miserable experience.
    Alcohol, depression, suicide.

7. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

MortSahlFan and John Fell like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

I was just thinking, before your post, that the very concept of clicking "LIKE" seems contrary to the way most of us feel about the sad ends that many musicians have met.

So when someone describes such an end, we do not "like" it with a smile on our face.

I am moved by many of these posts, but somehow do not always click the "like" button.

jeffd7030 likes this.
  9. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Jan Berry. There was soon to be a TV show featuring him and Dean competing with The Monkees show. I know I would have watched the Jan show myself but the Corvette crashed messed him up and he died several years later due to that wreck.

10. Exile On My Street

Couldn't agree more.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I first became aware of Paul from the film Genghis Blues, about his fascination with Tuvan Throat Singing, teaching himself how to do it and traveling to Tuva for a competition.

12. Tribute

I have thought about Mike Smith very often over the years. The sad fact is that many people thought Dave Clark was the lead singer of that group.

But Mike suffered so much in his last days. He never got the fame that he deserved

[​IMG]

13. Exile On My Street

Bradley Delp of Boston.

Suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, leaving a note reading 'J'ai une âme solitaire' ...Translation: I am a lonely soul

keyXVII and blastfurniss like this.
  14. Tribute

Richard Manuel was only 42 when he took his life. He should have been at the zenith of his life. His songwriting with Dylan was magical.

[​IMG]

15. Tribute

When it comes to jazz, we often speak about how the good die young. But not many geniuses were younger than Booker Little. He was a god of the trumpet who left us at age 23 from a blood disease (uremia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. fenderesq

As I'm not familiar with the circumstances surrounding Gene Clarkes' death, which as with all those mentioned in this thread I've no doubt was sad and tragic. Townes' death was so cruel; self inflicted cruelty... in a way he committed suicide; long and slow. He sang of it, knew it intimately well before the final bells were rung. He courted it. You could see it washing over him in his later performances. A tremendous, tragic, loss.

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  17. Tribute

Roy Orbison! His last album (Mystery Girl) just brings tears to your eyes when you know that new beginning was really the end

[​IMG]

I'll add this image, because it is so damn unusual

[​IMG]

18. fenderesq

Yes magical is an apt description. A great artist; a great loss. And a fitting accompanying photo.

19. fenderesq

With a poet's words and an artist's eye for an appropriate image. Yes.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  20. fenderesq

I've got to sign out... I can't bare anymore of this thread right now.

Useaname and Tribute like this.
  21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

cut and paste off Wiki.........
    Jeff Buckley's death was not mysterious, related to drugs, alcohol, or suicide. We have a police report, a medical examiner's report, and an eye witness to prove that it was an accidental drowning, and that Mr. Buckley was in a good frame of mind prior to the accident.[110]

— Statement from Buckley's estate

What am I missing?

22. Tribute

Well, there are new musicians born every hour. And a musical genius is born just about every day. Think of those in your dreams.

23. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Arthur "Killer" Kane

24. Tribute

I think the mystery is how a guy who waded just above his knees in a slow river could drown so suddenly. Yes, there was a wake from a large boat that hit the shore, but it was not a tsunami. And then the double tragedy of his father Tim, also taken so young.

Jeff Buckley

[​IMG]

25. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

SRV's situation still touches me in a way that's hard to explain in words. I was there that last night. If you like blues based music it may have been the most thrilling concert I ever saw. Went home that night not having any idea what happened. Woke up to tingles at the memory of what I witnessed the night before. I couldn't wait to tell everyone about it. And then I heard the news. Turns out it took me years before I told anyone. It still sucks. And it still hurts.

There are artists I admire more that passed away. But this was something that I felt a part of. And I'll never shake it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.