The Cruelest and Saddest Deaths in Music History

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I think all deaths are sad, but I'll add Bill Graham and Stevie Ray Vaughan to the list, since both died in helicopter crashes that were someone else's fault.
    And Richard Manuel's suicide, too, while we're at it.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

I met Phil back in 1970 and he told me then that he planned to "leave the scene" (his words)

[​IMG]

3. County50

County50 Forum Resident

4. BZync

BZync Senior Member

IIRC, the autopsy was inconclusive as to whether the wound was self inflicted. No hesitation marks were found around the wound.

Earscape, squittolo, Pop_Zeus and 5 others like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

Victor Jara

Jara was arrested shortly after the Chilean coup of 11 September 1973, which overthrew Allende. He was tortured during interrogations and ultimately shot dead, and his body was thrown out on the street of a shantytown in Santiago. The contrast between the themes of his songs—which focused on love, peace, and social justice—and the brutal way in which he was murdered transformed Jara into a "potent symbol of struggle for human rights and justice" for those killed during the Pinochet's regime

• The American folk singer Phil Ochs, who met and performed with Jara during a tour of South America, organized a benefit concert in his memory in New York in 1974. Titled "An Evening With Salvador Allende", the concert featured Ochs, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, and Arlo Guthrie.
    • Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's Wrecking Ball Tour made a stop in Chile on 12 September 2013, just days before the 40th anniversary of Jara's death. Springsteen, guitarist Nils Lofgren and trumpet player Curt Ramm paid tribute to Jara by covering his song "Manifiesto", which Springsteen sang in Spanish. In a short speech before the song, Springsteen said (in Spanish): "In 1988, we played for Amnesty International in Mendoza, Argentina, but Chile was in our hearts. We met many families of desaparecidos, which had pictures of their loved ones. It was a moment that stays with me forever. If you are a political musician, Víctor Jara remains a great inspiration. It’s a gift to be here, and I take it with humbleness.
    • The Clash sing about Jara in "Washington Bullets" on their 1980 triple album Sandinista!. Joe Strummer sings:

As every cell in Chile will tell, the cries of the tortured men. Remember Allende in the days before, before the army came. Please remember Victor Jara, in the Santiago Stadium. Es verdad, those Washington bullets again.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    MC Rag, kippenhok, dirie and 47 others like this.
  6. Benoit Rousselle

Benoit Rousselle Forum Resident

Randy Rhoads. When I heard the news I was shocked. It was my first show. Still can hear that Flying V resonate.

7. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Otis Redding and most of the Bar-Kays.

RVA_101, bonus, goodiesguy and 34 others like this.
  8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

"The Day the Music Died"

Sweetwater

Way before their time.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The original vocalist of The Enid

Peter Roberts killed himself the night of December 31 1975, making the band rework their material as a instrumental only band for the debut album. They'd do this for their first four records.

The first of many ballsy moves by this group, though you have to give them credit for not immediately finding a new guy at the mic.

RVA_101, andy_a, Sytze and 3 others like this.
  10. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Jaco Pastorious, Jessie Ed Davis

11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Criss Oliva is one of the most tragic for me, as it was a multiple offense drunk driver who never, ever should have been allowed to operate a vehicle again. That guy had a lot more music to give the world.

Michael Hedges is another for sure.

12. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Jimmy Spheeris.

An alleged drunken driver hit and killed him while he was headed home from the studio on his motorcycle.

13. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Keith Green

14. chodad

chodad Hodad

underrated ex-Yardbirds vocalist Keith Relf, accidental electrocution

[​IMG]

Earscape, Jana L, goodiesguy and 22 others like this.
  15. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

Metallica's Cliff Burton comes to mind.

RIP

16. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Richard Manuel
    Roy Buchanan
    Marvin
    ...and all the musicians who died but keep us keeping on everyday life listening to their wonderful music. Thank you guys.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  17. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

18. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Thanks for this info. You realize that this Springsteen story just put half of his " fans " on this board into cardiac arrest :)

19. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Eric Dolphy - only 36 and when taken to the hospital was treated as a drug OD (he wasn't) instead of having his diabetes addressed.

20. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

Any of the musicians that committed suicide due to mental health issues that they, likely, weren't in a position to receive support for or that the industry contributed to the development of.

21. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The great King Curtis, stabbed to death outside his Apartment in 1971 at age 37.

[​IMG]

22. DMGuy

DMGuy Forum Resident

23. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Klaus Nomi. When he died of AIDS in 1983 no one visited him in hospital during his final weeks.At that time so little was known about AIDS, people were afraid you could catch it through casual contact.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Another one that got to me was Andrew Gold. I knew that he was not doing well, but when he really passed so young, it just didn't seem right.

Some of you might be saying Andrew WHO? Andrew was probably one of the best power pop singer/songwriters ever in my book, but his recording career never really took off. He is probably best known for his unbelievable 16 bar fill that he performed all by himself (multi-tracked on varying instruments), on Linda Ronstadt's great "You're No Good". Here, interviewed by the also late Michael Botts (Drummer for the band BREAD), Andrew tells the whole unique story of how it all happened ...

25. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Jaco deserved so much better than how he went out. So tragic.

Also, seconding Cliff Burton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.