The Cruelest and Saddest Deaths in Music History

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

I met Susannah McCorkle several times and did an extended live-in-the-studio interview with her. Afterward, she said it was the best interview she had ever done. During the interview, she talked about skinny-dipping. She was a lot of fun. But depression took over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VinylPhool and Farmer Mike like this.
  2. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

When I was roaming the UK in the mid 90s I planned to go to Cambridge in hopes of finding him but I lost my nerve..

Finding 22 Landsdowne Crescent was spooky enough for me

3. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Great story. I remember the name, but can't say I know anything about her. Her name reminds me of a child star of the 70s, and she sounds like someone who should have been in an English folk band back then.
    But the first thing I thought of was the Paul Simon lyric, "Save the life of my child, cried the desperate Mother."

Chris DeVoe and applejam101 like this.
  4. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Marc Bolan- I wasn't alive for this one but it still makes me sad thinking of what could have been. He was on the cusp of a comeback and had a son who was about to turn two.

Frank Zappa- he had prostate cancer for years and didn't even know until he started displaying serious symptoms. By the time he found out he was too far along to be treated. This is why cancer screenings are so important for men over 40.

David Bowie- yes, he was 69, but he kept his cancer battle secret with the clues in the Blackstar album only coming together after his death. I still can't listen to that album.

A more obscure one is Dinky Diamond, the drummer for the "holy trinity" of Sparks albums on Island. He ended up committing suicide in 2004- ostensibly because of an annoying neighbour, but there was obviously some mental health issues involved.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It's gonna take me at least ten years to put that album into its proper perspective.

keyXVII, BwanaBob and HoratioH like this.
  6. Tribute

Bud Powell, the genius and inventor of modern jazz piano, died at 41 in 1966 from a combination of illnesses. Two years of forced electroshock treatments led to his gradual decline. There was no "informed consent" for a black man in a state hospital.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nomadicarchivist

It is indeed a twisted work

8. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Allan Holdsworth, legendary guitarist died in poverty. There wasn’t even enough money for his funeral. Fans rasied money for it. Apparently a broken marriage and alcoholism really messed him up.

9. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Quite a number of black musicians would have lived long lives if it wasn't for racist policies that gave them unconsensual treatment and even prohibited white doctors from treating them.

10. Nomadicarchivist

Sadly, many of us grow up thinking that our favorite musicians are all well off financially.. In the case of folks like Holdsworth who never sold a lot of albums, the financial reality can be bleak..

I moved to Memphis just a few years after the Albert King Estate sold his personal possessions including monogrammed shirts with his name on them for $30 a box..

His 57 Chevy sold for a mere $5k

nytechy, keyXVII, MortSahlFan and 2 others like this.
  11. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

12. Nomadicarchivist

“No Doctor” is written in the cause of death section of Robert Johnson’s death certificate

Howlin Wolf tried to get a new kidney for a long time to no avail.

Lost In The Flood and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yikes. I've never even thought of this. He was such a fine, melodic songwriter that it's almost a given that he would have had an impact into the '70s, at least.

(Perhaps a Brian Wilson-type approach?)

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Tribute

Actually, I think it would have been more a "Buddy Holly-type approach"

He was a leader. And I don't think mental illness would have held him back.

nikh33 likes this.
  15. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Perhaps a misguided reference -- but I was thinking of Buddy Holly's talents thriving in a theater without boundaries -- symphonic influences, psychedelic components, sophisticated harmonies, etc.

It would have been really something, I think.

16. Tribute

After all these pages and posts, no one has yet named the terrible tragedy of 1969

Life and politics has taught us all that if you say something often enough, it becomes true.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fenderesq likes this.
  17. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

His father committed suicide as well. There was a family history of mental illness. If you want to know more about Ochs I’d highly recommend the book Death of a Rebel.

keyXVII, MortSahlFan and R. Totale like this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

His life was sad, not his death.

20. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was reading up on Fela earlier today. He actually didn’t die of AIDS.

21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I went to Cambridge in 1972 with the hopes of finding and interviewing Syd. I met some people who knew him and were hostile to my seeking him out so I didn’t pursue it and it’s just as well.

22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yea, he was paid a flat fee and then fell down some stairs and died. His solo is one of the greatest ever. That song too, was a revolution and he never really knew. Great solo by Danny Cedrone, copied many times.

23. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I also thought George Harrison's death was very tragic. It seems to me had he not had that psycho "fan" break into his residence and damn near kill him with 5 very near fatal stab wounds to the chest he might still be alive today. The thing is, George had cancer but it had been successfully treated and was in remission before the attack occurred. After the attack the cancer returned, likely because his immune system was so deeply compromised from this horrible event. In other words, no attack, likely no return of the cancer. We'll never know of course, but I do think it's quite possible and even probable. Very sad and tragic indeed.

24. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I've always thought in a parallel universe Waylon got on that plane and Buddy didn't, going on to write the theme song for The Dukes of Hazzard and having a long career.

Rick Bartlett and fr in sc like this.
  25. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I didn't go through the previous 27 pages but I'll say Malcolm Young and his passing after a long fight with dementia.
    I lost a parent to that disease.

keyXVII, highway chile and blutiga like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.