The Cruelest and Saddest Deaths in Music History

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Aaliyah
    Jason Molina
    Richard Swift
    Big L
    Andrew Wood
    Zac Denton

Nostaljack and Ludger like this.
  2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

It's poignant when you watch the clips on YouTube of him and the Bar-Kays on a Cleveland music show the day before the accident knowing that only two of those guys (kids, really) were alive the following night. Otis does "Respect" a la Aretha on that show, unlike at Monterey where he did it the way he and Steve Cropper wrote it.

3. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident

Baby Huey could have been huge.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

One of the saddest days was when Nat King Cole was taken by that cigarette in his hands. He was one of the all-time giants, but died not long before the great jazz revival when he most certainly would have returned to the piano and been revered by the younger generation of jazz fans

[​IMG]

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know she had that many unsuccessful surgeries. So cruel. A talented and beautiful lady who I don't doubt would have been a huge star. She had it all.

6. Similarly, UK indie band Viola Beach collectively died when a car driven by their manager drove off a bridge under construction in Sweden. Their debut LP was released posthumously and hit #1.

7. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Very sad.

8. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

9. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Stuart Adamson.

Big Country were the first band that I ever saw live, back in the mid 80s, and up till his death in 2001, I lost count the amount of times I saw them live.

I was fortunate enough to meet the man a few times, and what an absolute gent he always was. There's that old saying, never meet your heroes, well he proved to be the exact opposite. Loved meeting the man, there was never any hint at all the problems he had. Such a shame he couldn't or wouldn't get the help he needed.

Safe to say that his death was the first time that I had cried at a so-called celebrity passing away. Fair play to Big Country for having a go after he passed, but it was never the same, you can maybe change a drummer, a bass player, but not the singer. Loved the man and I miss him terribly.

The anniversary of his death is only a few days away. RIP Stuart.

Jana L, Rupe33, bloodisthin and 28 others like this.
  10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I visited the R&RHOF in Cleveland about 22 years ago for the first and (so far) only time. I like Otis enough but would never call myself a "big fan" -- but of all the things I saw there that day, the one thing that left the most lasting impression was pieces of the plane from the wreckage. Absolutely shook me to the core. His name was painted onto the side of the plane, and is prominently part of the pieces on display.

FuturisticWorkshop and Elton like this.
  11. Tone

Tone Senior Member

12. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I've never heard that Keith Whitley was a suicide. I do know that he did suffer from some depression issues, but he died of acute alcohol poisoning. . . the man just drank too much.

13. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

It was John Lennon for me. Others have been murdered, and I don't pretend to know the circumstances of all, but with Lennon, there were a lot of factors:

1. Killed because of his fame

2. Killed in front of his wife

3. Left behind a 5 year old son.

4. Had just started making a return to the scene.

Many homicides qualify as senseless, and this certainly qualifies. A drug overdose, a plane/helicopter/car crash, other causes can be rationalized a bit. Not this.

JcS

intv7, Rupe33, goodiesguy and 26 others like this.
  14. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

You are most likely right. Scratch that on my post.

15. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Dave Alexander

MC Rag, The Sneak, AZRunner and 4 others like this.
  16. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

When I think of Brownie or Hendrix, I can't help but think of Miles--and what if he had died at 26-27? He hadn't even done Walkin' yet, much less formed a band with Coltrane and everything else that followed. What if Jerry Garcia had died at 26? I guess we'd have Anthem of the Sun, possibly Live/Dead, and a handful of great concert boots of primal acid rock, and it would seem funny that he had started out playing bluegrass/folk music. Brownie and Hendrix still might have done so much. And then Buddy Holly dying at 22, and Ritchie Valens at 17... wow.

17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Chris Cornell.
    The guy seemed to be in a really good place, and then he wasnt.....

Jana L, dunkoid, Daring and 16 others like this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

for me it has always been Danny Gatton.

So incredibly talented, yet so alone.

Tragic.

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Lennon's hits home every year with me starting when his birthday comes up. The death day....still bothers me, and more the coward who did this is still in protective custody and allowed to be alive. Come to think of it, "Dimebag" Darrell from Pantera was gunned down while on stage December 8 also. Sadness - many to mention. But a few - SRV's helicopter crash, Croce, Otis Redding, Buddy Holly. Ironic - Berry Oakley and Duane Allman's deaths. Both my motorcycle accident and both almost on the same spot a year apart.

20. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

Steve Marriott's death was such a tragic accident - a very sad end

21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Minnie Ripperton

22. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Michael Hedges

Roberto899 likes this.
  23. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Their deaths bothered me. What's your problem?

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh, there is lots of love for the father of the blues. People are posting quickly. I hope this is a thread that continues through time.

It works best when people post additional thoughts (or images) about musicians that have already been posted before.

No limits on how you post.

Robert Johnson

[​IMG]

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I find all these sad, what a huge loss of talent across all genres.

For me it's obvious, but Freddie Mercury. It's tragic seeing such a powerful and charismatic man waste away like he did. That he recorded some incredible vocals almost to the end is awe inspiring when considering the physical shape he was in.

Otis Redding too. He was on the verge of superstardom and was recording some of his best music when he died far too young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.