The Cure announce Hyde Park gig for July 7 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Razzle123, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Worth a trip by itself thus concert!

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Hyde Park's social media is saying this show is virtually sold out, except for a tiny number of GA tickets left.

Is 75,000 people the biggest crowd of their career? Don't think any festival they've done had present crowds bigger than 25-30k.

jamesc and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  3. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Some of their South American gigs have been huge over the years.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. jippy

jippy Forum Resident

On the "Wish" tour in '92 I attended the Rose Bowl show in Pasadena. Concert crowds for a venue that size would have been somewhere between 80-100K.

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  5. SoundAdvice

[​IMG]

In-Absentia, jamesc and JeffMo like this.
  6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Hopefully, they'll stream it. Or do a US show. Or both!

JeffMo likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting - different set up than Depeche Mode used

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’ve been to BST-Hyde Park 4 or 5 Times, and I think it’s a decent value. It depends on the act, but most have a Diamond Circle which is really small for £249, and Gold Circle, which is decent for about £149 or £179. There’s also a Terrace and “Garden” sections that offer decent views but off to the side. I would recommend any of those. In my experience sound has been quite good. I’ve never bought General admission, and I assume you can only see the screens - but most of those people are just chilling on the grass, and tickets are always less than £100. Overall, compared to the US, pretty good prices.

Not going this year, but in the past, tickets were always available at regular prices, so never needed to buy VIP packages. Clapton just sold out, so I would jump on Cure tix if people want to go.

jamesc likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

There's probably 1 more headliner to be announced for July 15th. I know they've been chasing the Spice Girls(even without Posh) for a couple years.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Oops. Just checked and the Cure date is sold out. That was fast!

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, there’s room for another. Fleetwood Mac? Probably a more “pop” act to go along with Bruno and Michael Buble, so perhaps the Spice Girls would work.

12. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'm not paying £150-250 to see anyone! ;)

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would have paid to see Clapton, Winwood, Santana and Gary Clark, and would have been in heaven the whole day!!

14. gary191265

I'm in the fortunate position of having seen everyone I've ever wanted to see before ticket prices became massively over-inflated, or I've worked the massively over-inflated gigs as a photographer.

Glastonbury is the only expensive gig I do these days and that's relatively inexpensive compared to single event tickets.

phillyal1 likes this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What a life - would love to go to Glastonbury and call it work

16. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I like the Cure (and saw them way back when), but I wish that Robert would "modernize" his stage look. Looks bad on an old geezer.

17. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

That's an absolutely ridiculous price, total ripoff, no way I'm paying that kind of money for any Diamond, Gold or any other circle. Has nothing to do with Rock n Roll, it's becoming a bourgeois thing for people so they can tell their friends about it.

18. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I’ve seen them about 30 times all over Europe and this is as close to a home town gig as it gets, but I just bought GA tickets and plan to be close to a speaker and a beer tent, just grooving away. My days of being squashed are behind me :)

jamesc likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just checked the BST Hyde Park website. Pretty cool that the The Cure/Interpol show and the Clapton/Winwood/Santana show are both already sold out, but the dates with Michael Buble and Bruno Mars still have tickets available.

Maybe rock isn't as dead as people think it is!

20. gary191265

I don't work Glastonbury, that's our family holiday...me, wife, 3 daughters, son-in-laws and our 5 grandkids; plus another friend and his wife and son.

jamesc likes this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That sounds absolutely wonderful. I try to take my daughters to shows as well. But, you’re right -a family of four to see Hyde Park is pretty brutal $$ if you want to be close. This is an off year at Glastonbury though, so I guess you’ll have a more “traditional” summer holiday.

22. gary191265

Glastonbury gets more expensive every year as each of the grandkids passes the magic 12 years old where they get in free. Out eldest daughter lives in Cornwall, we'll go there this year!

23. jippy

jippy Forum Resident

Totally forgot about the "old days' before they could literally fill a stadium ala U2 with their 360 tour :). Saw them three times that week. Long Beach Arena, San Diego Sports Arena, and finally the Rose Bowl. Great times!

JeffMo and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Boy, you Brits love them giant outdoor gigs. Thinking of checking some out this summer. Probably couldn't go to The Cure even I had a ticket. Ton of gigs around that time I'm going to over there already.

25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

My wife and I are flying over to England for a couple weeks in July, and we purchased tickets to this show. I've been listening Cure albums every couple days in preparation! :)

We were in England and Ireland last year on our honeymoon. We attended Isle of Wight Festival, spent a week in London, a few days in Manchester then a few days in Dublin, where we saw Radiohead. We had an amazing time.

When we were in London, we stayed in Westminster and Pimlico areas, at a couple Air B&B flats. Should we stay closer to Hyde Park this time, or is it just as easy to take the Tube?

JeffMo and Mintsauce like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.