The Cure announce Hyde Park gig for July 7 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Razzle123, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

We saw the actual show last year, so it was really surreal to go to a movie theater and relive the night. Of course, we had a much better view last night! :D

Tim Pope did a fantastic job. I loved the effects, and he managed to add just enough that it was fun and not overkill. "Shake Dog Shake" was a great example... literally shaking the picture for intensity (probably digital post production as opposed to physically shaking the camera), but right in the middle of the song there was a beautiful stationary shot of Robert, and since it was after the sun finally went down, the red stage lights behind him popped out. It was a great moment of peace in the middle of the chaos.

I'll buy a Blu-Ray or a 4K digital version for sure, but so glad I got to see this show on the big screen.

robbroncs likes this.
  2. I also thought the shake-up during "Shake Dog Shake" was really well done, and something I literally needed to recharge my batteries (it was a long film, after a long day at work). The effects were never too over the top, but they did manage to change in subtle ways that I thought didn't draw too much attention to themselves. Tim Pope's restraint in not going overboard with effects was commendable. But the whole film didn't all feel the same either. Everything after the break before the encore was all really upbeat and decidedly NON-dirge-like stuff. And the visuals really felt in keeping with the higher energy of the last half (which really was only about the last 1/3rd, at most).

The sun setting slowly throughout the first 3rd of the film was lovely too. Really reminded one that the concert happened in real-time, over a couple hours. Nice to experience that evidence of the passing of time (the sunset), which helped draw me in to feeling like I was experiencing a live concert -- vs. just watching something on video. This was decidedly somewhere in between.

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It was very, very hot that day. And my wife had a cold sadly (probably caught it on the plane). During Goldfrapp and Editors, she practically passed out.

Recent Rolling Stone interview with Robert:
    Robert Smith Talks the Cure’s ‘Overwhelming’ 40th Anniversary Concert Film

Sadly, in the above interview, Robert states that they didn't film their sets.

At least there are some audience clips on YouTube. I'm bummed that I didn't see Ride, because I didn't feel like walking to the other side of the area in the heat!

jamesc likes this.
  4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I didn't make it to the showing last night but I'll definitely buy the blu-ray when it comes out. Sounds like it was a cool experience.

There's a nice interview with Tim Pope where he talks about some of the effects he applied and was kind of kicking himself during the interview because he realized he should have added some socks! Glad they brought him back for the concert and upcoming retrospective.

The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | A Long Term Effect: Tim Pope On Four Decades Of Work With The Cure

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Maybe it´s time to reissue The Cure in Orange in full majestic fashion. I still have the VHS tape

DPK, contium, robbroncs and 3 others like this.
  6. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

It was great. Traveled from RI to see it. Got there early to get as close as I could and it was hot. So when guy appears out of nowhere sticking his belly in my back I got peeved. He kept talking loud saying no one probably liked the cure as much as he did obnoxious as hell. I said I saw the head tour and every time since so back up one foot. Claimed stupid Americans and something about trump and I almost lost it reminding him of our help during ww2 etc and not everyone in u.s. was what he imagined. Anyway he backed off eventually and shake dog shake made me forget his sorry ass. And that sunset...

7. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I hope they come out with a proper “soundtrack” as well. This would make for a very good live album in my opinion.

ad180 likes this.
  8. contium

contium Forum Resident

Been wanting The Cure in Orange forever. I have a LD of it and ripped the video but it only looks so so. 480p doesn't cut it these days. Also ripped the digital audio and listen to it often.

TongueDruid and Izozeles like this.
  9. After my wife and I saw the movie July 11th, she asked me if I had any of the Cure's early material? Other than what was on various Great Hits packages by the band, she'd never heard anything earlier than Disintigration, or maybe 1987's Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me.

So over the last 2 weekends, I've spun every single Cure album (one by one), save for their debut (the only one I didn't have). Up until 2009 or so, I also mostly only knew their pre-1987 material through a couple Greatest Hits packages -- until I kept stumbling on the 2CD deluxe editions of every Cure album at Half-Priced-Books, all of which I picked up for between $8-$10 each (I even got The Glove too, which I'd never even heard of) -- and the only one I never got was their debut (the one and only Cure album I don't have on CD).

So one by one, we spun everything from album #2 (Seventeen Seconds) through 4:13 Dream, and it's been really nice reminding myself of all those deeper album cuts that I only first discovered about 10-12 years ago (for the first time).

Robert sure is one hell of an interesting and expressive singer, and I'm looking forward to revisiting all of the home demos and studio run-throughs too over the next month or so. I know a lot of people rag on the 2nd CD's of material in those expanded sets, but I very fondly remember enjoying most all of that material when I first got the expanded sets 10 years ago. Robert's vocals especially on all the demos were somewhat of a revelation too.

jamesc and miller_time22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.