The Cure's "Wish" finally get the deluxe edition treatment. Track listing on page 20!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Apr 13, 2018.

1. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

I believe there are unofficial versions, probably sourced from the LD audio.

Lars Medley likes this.
  2. Static

Static Forum Resident

Oops, I was talking about the Wish release. The other statement was regarding the Cure in Orange video where he pulls off his hair then comes out with a buzz cut. That was the beginning scene in Orange right?
    Should have clarified that.

Suggy Bop Bop likes this.
  3. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

It was an unofficial release on orange vinyl: The Cure - The Cure In Orange

4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I have this. I think it sounds good. I’m pretty sure the audio was taken from the laser disc.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My gf does as well. Shame about truncated setlist but overall SQ surprisingly good.

imail724 likes this.
  6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm amazed I can't find the preorder for the vinyl anywhere in stock. I literally waited just a couple days and it's gone.

7. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

The full, unedited version of "Tape" is available on the Sideshow EP:

Cure - Sideshow

8. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Without the crowd noise and fade into "Open"?

TurtleIsland likes this.
  9. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

Yes!

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love that version!!

11. ItsNotIt's

ItsNotIt's Forum Resident

You had me doubting my (admittedly dodgy at times) memory, so I pulled out my Sideshow disc to compare. If you listen closely at the end, you can hear the feedback for the beginning of Open start up at the fade. The version at the end of the Show VHS goes on for a dozen or so seconds longer without the (Open) feedback. Pedantic, I agree, but that’s probably why I made the edit from the VHS in place of the Sideshow version — it seemed to be from the “tape” instead of from the “show”. Sorry, I’ve had wine tonight…

12. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

The end version on the Show movie is the full length version, I've heard shows on the Wish tour where the band clearly took to the stage later than usual and Tape had already completely finished well before Perry got his feedback going and Simon playing the intro.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Now you have me thinking I should combine the intro and outro versions of "Tape" from the video and make an old school Extended version! :cool:

14. ItsNotIt's

ItsNotIt's Forum Resident

That’s what I did!

RAZORMADE and JeffMo like this.
  15. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Talking of 'Show' / Tape this is very good condidering it was probably sourced from VHS or Laserdisk

(apolgies if posted before)

rihajarvi likes this.
  16. Suggy Bop Bop

Somewhere on the internet a few years ago I heard an attempt by someone of using Tape as an intro to Wish, so it blended into the studio version of Open. It sounded poor though, it just doesn't work with the studio version.

Speaking of this, that has also reminded me that there used to be an alternate mix of Wish floating about too. The alleged origins of the source material I don't remember, and I am sure it was supposed to have been made non-professionally, by a fan. So how it was done, no idea.

This is going back a long long time, but I've read people who claimed to have heard it and said it was fantastic.

I remember tracking down a forum where a zip file was linked, but it had seemingly long since disappeared by the time I tried it, so I have certainly never heard it (if it does exist).

I'd totally forgotten about that until I started writing the above about the fan Tape/Open mix.

jalexander and JeffMo like this.
  17. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

David M Allen mentions in a recent interview linked above that his rough mix was sent in some review promos, as the final mix was finalized quite late. According to him it is closer to Disintegration in style, with the psychedelic overdubs louder in the mix. So it is at least a possibility that this may be the mix you heard of... (Sounds too good to be true, but well, one can only wish for impossible things)

18. Suggy Bop Bop

Yeah I had wondered if the 'fan' in question was actually someone closer to the band, same way as Nick McCabe was the 'fan' who leaked a bunch of unreleased Verve stuff.

I do believe it to be honest, as there were a few smaller forums discussing it over a period of time and a few links to it were posted, but none of them worked anymore by the time I was reading the threads. This really was going back a while just for me, a decade maybe, the threads were a few years old even by that point.

I am also curious about the claim Mark Saunders used to have a 5.1 mix of Wish listed in his discography on his website.

It all does bear out the Fiction employee claim that there were multiple mixes of the album though...in an Interview I am still unable to find. I just can't get the combo of keywords right to get Google to find it for me. It's out there though, I don't believe it's massively old, just wasn't widely published. I probably originally found it via COF.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  19. puddleduck

SteveCooks and Suggy Bop Bop like this.
  20. ChoonyFish

ChoonyFish Forum Resident

Jeez, that's the last show I was at, and was sorely disappointed by the short set.

I was enthusiastically telling someone I got talking to on the front row, who hadn't seen them before, how they were in for a treat with a 3 hour show. I felt a bit stupid, as well as disappointed.

I saw Robert clutching this throat and looking sorry. Just accepted it. And I did get to hear 'Sinking', which is one of my faves and hadn't seen it live before.

Plus being front row for a fave band for a 2 hour show, would be a good thing for any other band.

What you said about Robert's comments about the Manc audience explains why they aren't playing here this time. I was pissed off when dates were announced, thinking that they should have played here as we were short changed last time.

I've no idea what the crowd was like, it all seemed great from where I was.

That said, I'm seeing them in Birmingham in Dec.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  21. puddleduck

I have seen The Cure several times but the last time Perry was still in the band. I swerved them when Porl rejoined when he was going through his Uncle Fester lookalike phase with his noisy and unmelodic playing.

Fron what I've heard the way the new guitarist massacres the solo on from 'On the Edge of the Deep Green Sea' I didn't book this time - being in rural Cumbria, Glasgow was as close as it got to me so I sat this tour out

Robert still sounds amazing vocally, but I miss it the eaelier days when he played more guitar - stuff like Primary works far better when its just him IMHO.

jalexander likes this.
  22. Suggy Bop Bop

I appreciate they're a band that cannot win - play the dark stuff and the pop fans complain, play the light stuff and the hardcore fans complain.

The issue I think in the UK, is outside of London they seem unable to pull an audience for stadiums that don't just want to hear the absolute top hits. They just don't have a stadiu filling audience to play just dark material.

That Manchester show setlist was an absolute mess though, it was jumping around far too much in style, but also wasn't really serving up the stuff the pop fans wanted.

I was in the seats and funnily enough from that perspective everyone in the seats was going wild, but it seemed like the standing area was bored. No noise, little applause, no movement. I imagine right at the front it was a bit different to how it was from a few feet back and beyond.

It seemed obvious from the outset that Robert was in a bad mood and he then startes feigning that ridiculous fake sore throat and he was singing in a lower register and speaking some parts. And yeah he did the clutch at his throat thing because the hardcore were begging them to play some more, so he did that gesture as a means of explaining why not. If he had left it there he may have got away with it, but he and the band got ripped to pieces on COF that night (the band played really poorly for many songs too, 100 Years was unlistenable in places) and it annoyed him even more and the next show he said it wasn't about having a bad throat, it was about an audience not being into it.

I don't think it is the paying audience's job to make the band feel if a show is going well, it is the band's job to make it go well !!

He lost a lot of love that night, and true to Robert's usual form of holding a grudge they indeed aren't returning to Manchester.

I've said it before, Reeves seems like something Robert bought in the garage sale when Bowie died.

He brings absolutely nothing to The Cure. For all this talk of technical ability, and I don't doubt his ability by the way, apart from doing a solo on Deep Green Sea and Never Enough, he actually seems to play less parts than Perry ever did.

23. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

To be fair to David Bowie he had probably reached the same conclusions and had already dumped Reeves Gabrels himself.

Suggy Bop Bop likes this.
  24. Suggy Bop Bop

Along with Alan Wilder, I sometimes think of John McGeoch as a lost Cure member. I'd have loved to have seen John in The Cure, Jesus what a dream come true that would have been.

He and Robert were actually friends despite never having been in a band together, so it could easily have been on the cards from that perspective. (John is suspected to have been present for recording of The Glove, there's a cyptic note in the credits which it is thought refers to John).

With John's issues and various bad timings over who was coming/going from The Cure from maybe 1984 to 1994, and what John was up to or had going on in that period, there were too many instances of the timing meant it could never happen. PIL were starting to wind down after 1992 but ironically The Cure wouldn't have been a good place for John anyway with all they had going on from 1993 onwards for a few years. All of which was likely too late for any real attempt at saving John via a new environment anyway, I guess it would have resulted in the same sort of rapid departure as Andy Anderson received.

But that is the kind of guitarist should be in The Cure, not Reeves. I just don't find him 'Cure' in the slightest.

Beyond John, I really don't know who would fit the bill to be honest. Would love to hear some suggestions from others though. Realistic ones that is, i.e. ex Sisters of Mercy guitarists would never be invited into The Cure (as one example!).

jalexander and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  25. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

It'll be available in record stores in the US in January. I'm sure we'll see some US preorders pop up between now and then.

Fred Dender likes this.