The Cure's "Wish" finally get the deluxe edition treatment. Track listing on page 20!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Apr 13, 2018.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Jim, did you attend the Houston gig on that tour!

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cranky! Did you get up at 2am!? :cool:

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Yes I did! Houston Coliseum. It was amazing!

JeffMo likes this.
  4. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

+1... but you can replace the demo-cd with the join the dots cd... iirc they are all on one cd...

5. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

I'm just happy the one track that does appear on both JTD and the Wish SDE is the 12" remix of Doing the Unstuck. I have hope the new one will be an improvement, after all, could they really make it sound worse?

CaptainFeedback1 and c-eling like this.
  6. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I don't really understand why you think this release will fix whatever problem you have with the track.

As you say. its a remix. Why do you expect a remastered re-issue will fix it? Surely your issues with the track are due to the (re)mixing. not mastering?

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

^ Because the Join The Dots comp pretty much blows in the mastering department.

CaptainFeedback1 and seastman like this.
  8. puddleduck

Every Cure reissue from Entreat, Head on the Door, Distintegration etc sounds worse than the originals.

Expecting a different result now seems foolhardy.

Can you enlightening me what is wrong with the mastering on for example on 'This Twilight Garden' on JTD and explain why it 'blows'?

9. c-eling

Bumped up the treble and did a brick and re-level to it. It's pretty harsh in spots. Breathe is unlistenable.

10. puddleduck

Yet everyone loves that track...

No one who listens to 'This Twilight Garden' is complaining about the mastering...!!

I think people expect miracles..it doesn't help that Robert says he wants to remaster Wish as he noticed an error, but was going on tour so too late to fix..My guess is that the 'error' is on the original tape and isn't a mastering error at all...

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  11. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

While I enjoy good songs whatever the mastering, there is something to be said for the superiority of the original mastering of b-sides in the CD single. If you listen back to back to the b-side version of This twilight garden vs the JTD version, the latter is overly loud and less enjoyable to listen to. I do recommend chasing the Wish CD singles, they are not expensive and have great sonics.

Therefore I do not expect much from the new remaster, although, like everybody else, I am curious as to what was the mastering glitch that Robert found and that he has now "repaired".

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Started my Sunday off with the glorious Show.....

13. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

A Chain Of Flowers is not great either… Thank gawd I have the Catch CDV as those are brilliant songs!

14. c-eling

:agree:
    +1 on the CD-V In Between Days as well.
    Actually why I started grabbing all these years ago and for other bands. Pretty much the only way to get descent sounding mastering's for B's and mixes on digital.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  15. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

Interesting, what kind of format is CD-V? Can you read it in a normal CD player?

16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Bowie did not reach those conclusions and did not dump Gabrels. Gabrels walked away ("probably", in no small part, because 'hours' was boring)!

jimhb likes this.
  17. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The audio material, yes.
    CD Video - Wikipedia

Paully, Sacr and c-eling like this.
  18. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

That's brilliant then, I'll be hitting Discogs.... :cool:

I have always liked Cure b-sides but just had JTD and it will be great to get properly mastered versions...

c-eling and Paully like this.
  19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Well let's just say that I don't think this is the way things went.
    Reeves Gabrels has co-writing credits on most of "hours" so if you think it's boring than perhaps he is also to blame!

20. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

There’s 2 LP vinyl pressing from Ecuador on ebay. Probably the same price.

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

It is accepted fact that Gabrels left! You may think what you like.

22. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

Interesting, do you have a source for that? I seem to remember reading an interview with Gabrels in which he explained that he had a bit of a bust-up with Bowie during the making of hours due to musical differences and eventually Bowie put his foot down and got rid of him.

I think Gabrels is brilliant (he really helped Bowie come back after some bland commercial albums), although I am undecided as to whether he is the right guitar player for the Cure. He comes from a different musical tradition, more jazzy, more avant-garde and to me he does not fit so much into the Cure's more post-punk sound. But given his obvious talent I am ready to give him the benefit of the doubt and the new album should help settle this question...

Runicen, SteveCooks and Rooster_Ties like this.
  23. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: 20 years ago I was connected P2P to the Audiogalaxy website to upload and download mp3 files, and managed to download the 'Lost Wishes' songs and later burn a Kodak cd with them among other Cure rarities I got from there; a few days ago I searched and found that CD and played it and it sounded very good! well balanced basses and treble too, it had also those 12" Extended remixes of the 80's that later appeared on the Mixed Up-3CD reissue.

I didn't get any of the tape pre-sales with or without CDs or LP. International S&H costs are criminal...I will wait for an Amazon Prime Offer, got no hurry.

I used to own the UK 2LP original album of Wish, it had inners and an insert with Cure discography and a rounded sticker in white, the art was asome in that red; since I was kinda dissapointed with the dark-greenish art printed for the Disintegration's re-issue, I'm afraid that the new 2LP will not fill my expectations, neither sonically or visually.

In past threads I posted a Cure wish-list (pun intended), well, you can dream out loud like Bono said:
    • Standing On A Beach 2Lp 2CD - Remastered /Trifold Jacket like Beatles' Past Masters Mono, y'know that one.
    • Standing On A Beach 2LP 2CD - the B-Sides including 'Boys Don't cry-new Voice' 45rpm single version, outtakes, DVD of Staring included, etc.
    • In Orange DVD/BD/4k Whatever useful to updated my Beta-copy and original old VHS
    • In Orange Soundtrack 3LP - (we are dreaming, right?)
    • Show, Paris and Galore Reissues in 2LP gatefold...have you seen those prices? those sellers do not think, people need to pay for food, mortage, gas, taxes, dear God...
    • Join The Dots Boxed Vinyl Set (updated)
    • 12" EP reissues boxed sets á la Depeche Mode...
    these could be RSD releases, I don't know...but seems like good Ol Uncle Bob has too much time in his hands...:sigh:

JeffMo, RAZORMADE, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

google is your friend... after 5 seconds of searching!
    David Bowie Teams With Former Helmet Guitarist
    There are many references in Bowie books but i am not searching any further as I am not the one questioning

Lars Medley likes this.
  25. Hillbilley

Hillbilley Forum Addictive

I don't own a physical copy of Join the Dots, but I've listened to it on Spotify and Tidal quite many times, and I agree about "Breathe" in particular. It sounds terrible and there is even distortion going on in that track, and a few others as well. I'm not even sure whether the sound is ripped from a vinyl single or not! I don't mind about the sound quality in general, and the Wish B-sides sound good to me.

Pop_Zeus, Lars Medley and c-eling like this.