"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

Well, if they don't find anything significant this season, it won't be from lack of spending money. That cofferdam in Smith's Cove is pretty impressive.
    [​IMG]

2. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh...a dented coin!!" ~ Dude with the metal detector

xdawg likes this.
  3. xdawg

No, he says "A Bobby Dazzler!" as he finds ancient jewelry. Then he says "A Top Pocket Find" as he places them in his top pocket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Vinyl Socks likes this.
  4. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I'll say this, they are off to an interesting start this season. They are really going big with the blasting and the cofferdam. I couldn't help but think while I was watching it the other night about how much time they wasted (at least two seasons) on borehole 10-X, from first pumping water out of it, to sending multiple divers and cameras down in it. No hatchet, no treasure chest, no headless body. Then wading around in the swamp up to the necks, draining the swamp, etc. Gary Drayton has found more loot on the surface than they have by drilling, and he's still at it. Anyway, it looks interesting. Maybe they will actually find something worthwhile. A real bobby dazzler!

5. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

They are on again? What will they find this season? On and on..............

I like the series, but HATE the narrator.

Damien DiAngelo and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

YOU HATE the narrator ? COULD this have DEEPER implications ?
    :)

7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Robert Clotworthy.

8. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

This is on TV maybe every night on the History channel. This is like watching Geraldo Rivera and the Al Capone Vault "mystery"only much much longer. Something like that anyway. :rolleyes:

Rhett likes this.
  9. xdawg

Dan Blankenship passed away yesterday. He was 95.

[​IMG]

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:cry:

xdawg likes this.
  11. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

I was hoping that Dan might live long enough to see the current crew achieve something for closure, if nothing else.
    RIP Dan.

painted8, smilin ed and xdawg like this.
  12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

This is very sad, although the last several times he was on I could tell he was fading.
    Seemed like a really remarkable man.

xdawg likes this.
  13. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I sure wish they had found something before Dan had passed. I finally gave up on the show because it seems to be more of a show about a treasure hunt than a treasure hunt that’s documented as a show.

Rocketstail and xdawg like this.
  14. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Dan Blankenship + RIP

xdawg and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Sad news about Dan. I was really hoping they would find something significant before he passed. R.I.P.

xdawg likes this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I know what you mean, but they always find enough to keep me interested. I mean how in heck did all bits they bring up end up 150' in the ground? There's got to be something left down there.

xdawg, Vinyl Addict and smilin ed like this.
  17. sixtiesstereo

While last weeks season finale was great, last night there was a new episode with some
    major news. While the majority was a great tribute to Dan Blankenship, here is what
    they discovered in the swamp. And they now have their work cut out for season 7...
    [​IMG]
    It "could" be something very similar to the image below, which would make it the most
    important discovery so far.....
    [​IMG]

xdawg, Borgia and smilin ed like this.
  18. xdawg

The 200 ft length is a concern. That's about double the normal length of a Spanish galleon. I suppose it could be some other kind of ship.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  19. sixtiesstereo

I don't know if it's a Spanish Galleon. It could be British, French or something else. Or whatever type of ship
    the Knights Of Templar may have used. I just found a picture showing something close.
    It'll be very interesting next season to see what it is. In one of the clips at the end it looks like they have
    a crane in the swamp to pull it up and out.

xdawg likes this.
  20. xdawg

I'm hooked - regardless of what they find. Even all the searcher artifacts are interesting to me.

Borgia and sixtiesstereo like this.
  21. sixtiesstereo

When they were sitting around the table with the guys from the sonic testing company (who
    had the image I posted above) they all agreed that the image, if it was a ship, the back of it
    was wide and high, and the front was long and thinner. Close to the picture I posted, but
    it really wouldn't be Spanish. Also, if you look at the scan, you can see it looks like it's
    on it's side (which they also mentioned). But, like you said, we'll just have to wait and see

xdawg likes this.
  22. xdawg

There are a couple of reddit discussions that have some interesting info. Here is a link to the more serious one.

Oak Island Discussion

23. sixtiesstereo

And here's the season 7 preview which includes, briefly, the digging in the swamp footage
    I mentioned above. Obviously, it was recorded off the TV, so it's low quality. But you
    can see the floating crane in the swamp etc.

artfromtex and xdawg like this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too. I'm usually intrigued by their latest findings which keeps tuning back in.

Coricama and xdawg like this.
  25. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Wow, I missed this last episode. My tv guide had a rerun of the season finale of Oak Island, then the Civil War gold, and lost WW2 gold show, both which I find unwatchable.
    Oak Island has been good this season, and with this discovery of a possible ship in the swamp it's pretty exciting. The finds in Smith's Cove this season have been pretty extraordinary. Someone went to great lengths to build that slipway and "U' shaped structure in the late 1600's. In my opinion, whatever it was that was buried in the money pit area was dug up at a later period, possibly by whomever hid it in the first place. They have perforated that area with holes time and again and never found a gold coin. Still, I'm all in for another season.

artfromtex and xdawg like this.