"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I don't even like the show. But...thanks. I'll be watching.

I wonder if there'll be an episode when they think they find something awesome but it turns out to be nothing.

This show is like Scooba Doo. Every episode is the same.

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm more interested in HH
    at this point than Oak .

xdawg likes this.
  3. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

Oh Boy! :goodie:

Scope J likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like the Oak Island show and the Hunting Hitler show because it gives me something to watch on demand when nothing is on.

xdawg likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have a hard time watching shows like these too.
    I mean, if they found something while filming, you would of heard about it already via online. You already know nothing happens going into it.

6. Chris from Chicago

Problem is, I'll really be watching. I'm a sucker for this stuff.

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I'll watch because my wife loves it. Ok I like it too

xdawg and Chris from Chicago like this.
  8. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

That may be true.
    For me, sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination.

9. After you watch this show season after season and they still never uncover anything worthwhile do you feel you wasted your time? Or is the show entertaining regardless of the lack of any actual treasure or significant historic find?

10. xdawg

I find the show entertaining. I read the 1960s Reader's Digest article on Oak Island when I was a kid and have kept tabs on happenings on Oak Island off and on ever since. Seeing the actual players from that article still alive and looking for the "treasure" with the Laginas has been rewarding to me personally. If they find any treasure, that would just be a bonus.

11. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I believe the depression was nothing but a sinkhole and there's nothing of interest on the island. But, I do watch most of the episodes and am therefore never disappointed.

xdawg and Pete Puma like this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool! New season.

xdawg likes this.
  13. I think the lure of nostalgia has gotten many of us watching this show. I remember reading about Oak Island and its mysteries as a teenager. It's fun seeing most of the old names in the hunt still active in some form.

painted8, Holy Diver and xdawg like this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. I used to read about Oak Island in the '70s back in grade school. Good times.

Motorcity supernaut and xdawg like this.
  15. xdawg

Those are my feelings too! Thank you for clarifying it for me. :cheers:

16. Chris from Chicago

What in the actual #&%@? There's a preview of the new season, with a host, and the host is so enthusiastically kissing the brothers booties that he's practically peeing on them like an excited puppy.

You left your dignity at home, son.

17. Chris from Chicago

I sure hope this is the one when they're on the verge of a major breakthrough.

18. xdawg

I found the season opener appropriately tantalizing. They discussed the areas of the island where they were going to focus on during the season:
    Excavate the Money Pit
    Drain the Swamp
    And it looks like they may give 10X another go

There are a few other side projects that may turn out interesting as well. Just in this episode we were shown the Templar well in New Ros and "The Hatch" ( which reminds me of "Lost :D).

Lownote30 likes this.
  19. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

As far as the Hunting Hitler show, these guys seem to be overlooking one major fact. Hitler was surrounded by an inner circle, some of them had been with him since the 1930's. Chefs, secretaries, valets, drivers, personal physicians, not to mention the military people. All of these people were either killed in the attempted breakout, committed suicide, or captured in Berlin in April-May 1945. There aren't but a couple of them that went missing, and with the amount of war dead in and around Berlin in late 1945, it's easy to see how that happened. I think that says something about the possibility that HH attempted an escape. STILL I WATCH!

xdawg likes this.
  20. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I enjoy the show since I was quite taken by the story of Oak Island, which I read about in the 1970s as a young boy.

I do question some of the "accepted" accounts of what they found in the early digs. Once misinformation or an inaccurate account has been quoted a few times, it becomes accepted.

My one issue with the show is the narrator. He sounds like he's doing an impersonation of the narrator of the 60s American TV adaptation of Batman ("WHAT'S THIS?!? The Joker ... in Gotham City?" - "A PIECE OF WOOD? In the ground? Could it have been left there by pirates? Or the Knights Templar?").

21. xdawg

I think the voice guy is the same one from the "Ancient Aliens" series. He does the same shtick on that show too.

painted8 likes this.
  22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

One of these times, they will have a "big reveal" and have Geraldo Rivera guest. They will find a secret vault that Al Capone buried down there, and when they open it up, it will contain nothing but a few old empty/broken bottles.

23. I'm not expecting them to find anything in the Money Vault. There may have been treasure there centuries ago, but someone already took it.

ssmith3046 and painted8 like this.
  24. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

How brutal would that be? That they finally reach a man-made vault but the treasure that it was constructed to house was recovered long ago. That might even be worse than they determining that the stories are bogus and the island is just a serious of natural cavities...

xdawg likes this.
  25. I have tried to watch this show many times. It just happens to air when I am able to watch TV. I find the show tedious and somewhat maddening. They talk and talk and talk about what they will find and what they are going to do to find it. The episode will revolve around getting a new piece of equipment and how great that will be in getting this task done. We are then lead along the primrose path while being told, and told again, how great it will be...while not much happens.
    They will take a week to move a shovel from the store to the dig sight. While moving the shovel they will blabber about how the metallurgy of the shovel will make it the best option for digging the hole. How the handle shape and contour is best suited to the soil type and water table of the area. How the old shovel was faulty and impeding progress up to this point.
    Then, just when you think they will actually use the shovel to dig something will happen to hinder the progress, or they will break until next episode with some sort of lame hook ensuring you they will do something great very soon...except that something great will never happen.

Dig the Effing hole and determine if anything is in there. Simple, straight forward, back breaking work that requires a little planning.
    Many bridge footings are dug exactly like this hole should be dug. The difference is the bridge builders have no mystical aspects swimming in their heads. They just have a job to get done so they can move on to the next job.

Chris DeVoe and Alfie Noakes like this.