The Data Is In: You Like The Music You Heard When You Were 14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shaddam IV, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!
    Everyone is chiming in trying to say they are different.

2. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Talk about the subject?:hide:

Zeki and Hadean75 like this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

No not commercial radio. The marketing strategists and their targeted audience concept started to unfold in the early 70's. The music industrystarted to become BIG business.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't like the use of the term "outgrow" in this kind of a discussion, because it has negative connotations and over-simplifies things. I don't view moving on to new forms of music as outgrowing the old music. It's more like adding to the mental and physical collection or continuing the education in music as we grow up and through adulthood. I can see that some people may cringe at some of their youthful musical choices, but others may smile, if only in private. :)

Zeki likes this.
  5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

They were the college girl's band of the Y2K era in my recollection. The girls that 10 years earlier would have been listening to Depeche Mode, were listening to DMB. I don't know if the jam band genre is too fashionable these days, but it had a good run, maybe more than it needed.

6. Kingsley Fats

The billboard charts follows the biggest sellers. The hits. The music that sold to the most people.
    This a large survey sample. Standard Distribution would be considered normal
    Adding all the people that the survey missed out would not significantly increase the size of the survey sample & would not significantly alter the standar Standard Distribution.

eg. If we surveyed 100,000 people we would not expect the results to vary by surveying a further 10,000 different people.

7. Kingsley Fats

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about my mum nearly 50 years later still treats me like I'm still 14

Zeki and wavethatflag like this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Hm, definitely not the case with me.

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I could be totally wrong, but i think that person usually has little interest in discovering new or different music, or if they even know how, at least the ones i've known.

10. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Funny how everyone I knew who was really into DMB back then was a bro-ish guy...

11. johnebravo

johnebravo Forum Resident

Hence the cliche phrase "Oh, Honey -- they're playing our song!" ;)

12. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I agree that comments are going to be about personal experiences. But it’s apparent some are not understanding that objectives measures were used, according to the article, when they complain that “blanket statements” are being made and “the net is being thrown too widely.”

The study used actual data:
    “For this project, the music streaming service Spotify gave me data on how frequently every song is listened to by men and women of each particular age.”

So ‘average’ here really means average in a statistical sense, not in a common language usage sense.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  13. Kingsley Fats

My wife is a primary school teacher. She spends a lot of time explaining to parents that yes your child is average, most children are, being average is a good thing & lot better than being below average.

Yes ‘average’ here really means average in a statistical sense, not in a common language usage sense

Witchy Woman likes this.
  14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Nah, for me, a 45 year old, the music I like best and still like is the music I was most into during my early 20s, which is when I got into classic rock (Zeppelin, Kinks, Faces, etc), and when I got into modern British rock (Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, etc), and that's still what I'm drawn towards. I still like the stuff I listened to when I was 14 (which was mostly punk and alternative rock from the mid-80s), but it didn't have nearly as big an influence on me as the stuff I listened to in my early 20s.

And I still listen to a ton of new music, but it's new music that captures what I was into in my early 20s.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  15. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

According to the article I should love the music made from 1980 to 1983 and I do.
    But I love the music made from 1967 to 1979 a lot more.
    Of course when I was 13-16 I HEARD a lot of older music due to two older brothers having record collections.

16. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I don't think I was that special. Many guys in my class listened to a lot of music, and everyone had access at least to a portable cassette deck and some blank tapes. Tapes circulated and I had many of which I had no idea where they came from originally. But this was the eighties, I see how it may have been different in an earlier era.

17. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

I'm 31 now, at 14 I was all about Metallica, AC/DC, and Van Halen. Still am too...as for my early 20's...Death was pretty much the band I became enthralled with. Again, I still am. Proud of it too.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm not leaving it out, I just don't relate to it.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, what a lot of us are saying is that it's too general an assumption, even for most people, I think. It's quite silly to think that we have no music in our lives and then one day at the age of 14...BOOM! You hear music. That's not the way it works.

shaboo and Silksashbash like this.
  20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's a symptom of a bigger disease on this forum. Seriously, it's happening with greater regularity. No matter what the topic, people have to automatically internalize and then discuss themselves and their "feelings."

eric777 and Higlander like this.
  21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Damn, I thought it was 17. Must have been a different study...

22. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

It sometimes seems as though this disease isn’t limited to just this forum. It’s something I see all the time regarding many different subjects both online and in the real world.

Say It Right likes this.
  23. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Likely the social media effect. It's not really social at all. "It's all about ME!"

Don't get me wrong, personal accounts can add a lot to the discussions, but it's just become too much of personal, emotional reaction without much thought.

eric777 likes this.
  24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I like the music I heard when I was 0–53 (so far).

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  25. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I still love Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden but a lot of the glam metal that I liked at the time has fallen by the wayside. There are also many artists who music I love now but didn't really know or care about when I was 14 ie. Gramm Parsons, Steey Dan, J.J Cale.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.