The David Sylvian Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Aug 28, 2017.

1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Norco74 and Mike Love Not War like this.
  2. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I always love seeing DS pursuing his photography. As a photographer myself, and photo teacher for the last 35 years, I find his style unique and consistent. He has a knack for finding quiet, isolated, controlled, uneasy corners as he navigates the world- a vibe I also associate with much of his music. That said, the new book seems like a new experiment in wide views stitched together and viewed through windshields (at least, from what I've seen so far). But he's still capturing that sense of a quiet, outside observer.

Squad 701, Cat People and jo66hn like this.
  3. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Oh I disagree. He's just an acquired taste.
    I don't think the photographs featured in his book have anything to do with his Instagram collection. But that's not to say they won't be kindred in tone and style.

Squad 701 and Jason W like this.
  4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

This - regardless of how the label might have been a problem, if you managed to get on a international label and release a double art rock record in 1986 I'd say he got a good deal

Like, it's a miracle Talk Talk got on Verve - but even with Japan's success, nobody was going to give him a contract after Brilliant Trees despite it's success

5. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Disagree. At that time Sylvian was a known commodity and could have easily secured recording conracts. Hell, in Japan alone he sold enough albums to make any label take notice of his commercial value.

Demiurge88 and Beamish13 like this.
  6. fairaintfair

Link please?

7. fairaintfair

How can any of us reasonably speculate on why Sylvian had marrage problems?

Chris Bernhardt and curbach like this.
  8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

In the UK, sure - Japan's major break was in 82, and unfortunately Hansa didn't figure this out in time. They stuck around for sure though even by the art pop standards of the early 80s UK hits, Sylvian's best single, Orpheus was arguably the same issue Quiet Life had - it was ahead of everybody. Had that dropped in the early 90s then it's potential goes way up. Maybe he'd get on a major label, but I doubt he'd have much leverage going forward.

An aside, Virgin had a weird policy with their acts - Japan and Mike Oldfield both missed the US during their biggest sales periods, while OMD got picked up by Epic for their first 4 albums - a lot of good UK stuff either didn't come over or if it did, didn't get enough promotion here

9. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Regardless of his history with Virgin, I believe DS was simply making a point about pet projects of the super wealthy these days and suggested people might no be as altruistic as they may have been in the past. Well, it makes sense given the examples he noted. That's an entirely separate issue and I feel like, no matter what topic comes up, some people just seem to feel betrayed by DS and are ready to pounce on him. Add the extremely weird speculations about his psychology and personal life and, frankly, I'm tired of the negativity that surrounds his so-called fan base.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Back in the day he was known as laughing Dave...:D

Mike Love Not War likes this.
  11. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

My negativity toward him these days is that he is more interested in making photography books and CD covers and the "art instillation" music he has done, I'm just not interested.
    Relatively recently he was doing work with Joan Wasser which I would like to hear more of but there are problems releasing that allegedly.
    David has got a very good body of work behind him which makes his obtuse attitude these days difficult for long term fans including me to stay engaged.

12. Theristocrat

Theristocrat Forum Resident

Screwed-up eyes and screwed-down hairdo

Cat People and richard a like this.
  13. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Actually I think that the points he made with that tweet were fair and I agree with him. The tone though was over the top and vengeful as he had been personally wronged by Richard Branson and that's what I don't agree about.

14. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Absolutely concur on each point you make above - his politics aren't always mine - they are his. His personality and lifestyle is his choice. If it offends you, don't follow him or support his purchases.

He is free to do what he wants. He rejected ownership by labels or fans and did his own thing - that irks many who feel they have a stake in his pre-Blemish years.

It's an appreciation thread that has more digs at him than appreciation for what is a real modern gem of an artist:
    astonishing variation in what he has produced (often amazing quality) and he has entertained us through even the most difficult scottwalker-like obstinance and atonal musical direction changes. Seems like a lot don't like his personality or stubborn desire to do what he wants to do with his life.

15. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

A new art book, eh ?
    Taking photos while driving ? He'd be getting pulled over and fined in Australia. I can hear the conversation now : "But I was in Japan !"
    "You're in Melbourne now mate, that's $250 please or we'll see you in court". Amazing to think that this passes for art - but people have to eat, I suppose.
    Reminds to me to grab some paper and start signing my name in limited quantities - never know when I might need to stick it on to something.

Mike Love Not War likes this.
  16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

He is 63 and has been doing art in various forms, including photography, since he was a teenager. Like it or not, he is way beyond taking art lessons from music fans.
    Besides, if he was the opportunist you described, making art rock would certainly give him a bigger paycheck, don't you think?

Squad 701, Demiurge88, jo66hn and 2 others like this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I'm a photographer and I like David's photography. I like his music, too. This is an appreciation thread, not a throw under the bus thread. Go make your own hate thread, perhaps, if you really can't get over yourselves about what an artist chooses to do. He doesn't owe you a thing. Go away.

18. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

One point that detractors might not understand is that making a photography book is not a profitable project, especially in an edition of 500. Unless you're Stephen King or JK Rowling, books -art books particularly, which are more expensive to print- barely break even. This is especially true, given the amount of design care that goes into DS's book. In my conversations with Steve about his photo book I could tell these things are labors of love and are done only for the creative outlet they provide. So it's ridiculous to criticize DS as if his various books are some kind of crass cash-grab. Trolls be gone.

19. fairaintfair

Geesh...One would think an "appreciation" thread would infer that this is the place to discuss what one likes about the man's work.

But according to his "fans" Sylvian is realy just a ****ty, divorced photographer who is ungrateful to his 80's paymasters.

Nevermind that he was the singular vision behind a band that were so far ahead of their time that we are still catching up, or that while he was creating some of his most artistically brave, emotionaly considered works many of his contempoaries were desperatly high on coke and vomiting their 1980's dance remixes on the world.

ggggreenisaac, Norco74 and Cat People like this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

And who is to say that he isn't creating music? Impatient twats?

21. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am firmly of the belief that real artists do what they feel is right for their art and I am happy that David Sylvian has pursued his muse wherever it/she led him. I also consider myself a "super fan" in the sense that I have 95% of his production and I have seen him play in every tour of his solo career, with Robert Fripp, etc, etc.
    Having said that, being a fan doesn't mean that one must love everything he does and even an appreciation thread can be used to opine about the validity of his art or his business decisions or his twitter outbursts. Just to give you one example: the new covers for his old albums are a disgrace. What can I say? I love most of what he does, I don't "hate" him because he is not touring Brilliant Trees like U2 or Peter Gabriel have done with their old albums, I don't "hate" him at all, he has given me hours and hours of pleasure with his music, but those new covers stink, particularly the one of him in a car which is totally out of context with the contents of the album.
    So I will continue to criticise his art and what he does publicly without going into the personal sphere. I think it makes sense this way.

22. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I kind of liked the new photo on Alchemy, although in general I do think the original artwork was way more evocative. The depth of the music was represented better without the association with portraits.

One thing I noticed in his writing about this last year was the consistent sense of improvisation as a method. Not only in the music experiments and collaborations, but also in the way he described the photo process and being open to surprises and unexpected results.

Cat People and Max Florian like this.
  23. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Very well put.

hutlock likes this.
  24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Here's a riddle that's been rattling around for a while now... Why did Sylvian never collaborate with Eno? Seems like a gimme.

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Are you new to this thread?

I am following this thread since a while and this is the most negative influenced appreciation thread I came accross so far.

Many on this thread are commenting about DS personal life, ups and downs and pseudo-psychological disorder, which I don’t bother to comment and in which, I have zero interest.

That said, from time to time this thread is a good source of information about DS musical output which too sadly has slowed down since too long.

Chris Bernhardt and scribbs like this.