The definitive James Bond film ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Hunt is the only director during the 62-89 period that only helmed one Bond film. Glen only did 5 (FYEO, Octopussy, AVTAK, TLD and LTK)

Terrence Young - 3
    Guy Hamilton - 4
    Lewis Gilbert - 3
    Peter Hunt - 1
    John Glen - 5

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So does the Fire Marshall. The photo is of the inside of the room with the 2197 sign above the front door. It is the former lobby of a motel that I used to operate on the beach area of Fort Lauderdale, directly across the street of the Atlantic Ocean (where I took my avatar photo). The back door with the exit sign leads out to the pool and patio area.

The photo was taken in early 2013, shortly after I brought in the restored and modified Altec Lansing, A7, Voice of the Theater speakers, in from California. The speakers are located on the wall opposite of the window, where the white car is parked (on the left side). The photo was taken from just inside of the front door, looking slightly to the right.

[​IMG]

Yes it did. In addition to the soundtrack analog recordings, I have many of the Bond movies on DVD and Blu-ray disc.

Not really any such thing as tube speakers. It is the amplifier's that are tube. The power amplifier, the preamp and the tube phono preamp.

All digital information is decoded into an analog signal by the system DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), before it reaches the amplifiers, in any system.

But I can also play analog records through the tube amplifier(s) directly. The system is equipped to play both digital and analog music and video.

The tube amplifiers are only used for the Altec's and the other front, rear and center channel speakers are driven by solid state amps.

This is a view from the seated position on a tan sofa, for listening to music through the Altec theater speakers.

[​IMG]

This is a view of the opposite side of the room taken from the kitchen entrance. It is showing the main front HT channel speakers, which are located directly to the left and the right of the 65" curved screen TV. The left, right and center channel speakers are driven by 250-Watt solid state amplifiers (located on the stand below the TV) and are used for the home theater and also 2-channel stereo. The vintage Thorens TD-160 Super turntable is above and past the left side of the tan sofa.

[​IMG]

There is also a 1,600-Watt commercial horn loaded subwoofer that sits next to the left Altec, which is used both for HT and stereo.

[​IMG]

Richard--W likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

You're right about the quality. I was thinking in terms of the information
    provided. Particularly the commentaries on the first four or five Bonds.

4. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Some of the plots were never really used. Maybe they're not all movie material but I think some of the more exotic novels might bear another look like Diamonds are Forever or You Only Live Twice. Maybe The Spy Who Loved Me, which they are honor and contractually bound not to adapt, would work as a Tarantino hack of the Bond concept. I've never read it and I hear it's not of any interest but Tarantino describing his vision of Bond sounds almost like how I've heard it described.

5. AirJordanFan93

Used to listen to these all the time as well. The ones that John Cork from The Ian Fleming foundation did were of a very high quality.

Richard--W likes this.
  6. Richard--W

The commentaries by Terence Young and Peter Hunt on the Criterion laser discs
    of Dr. No, FRWL and Goldfinger were loaded with highly controversial and wildly
    entertaining remarks. EON threatened to throw lawyers at Criterion, so the laser
    discs were withdrawn from release, then replaced with new copies sans Young and
    Hunt. But a lot of people had bought them. Last time I looked they were on youtube.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  7. Richard--W

I envy both your location and your hardware. Lovely room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Thank You!

I retired last December and the location and the room are no longer.

But I am in another state now and the gear is in a storage facility, waiting for a reincarnation.

It's all about having fun and enjoying what you do,

Have had many guests over the course of ten years. Watched many movies and listened to lots of excellent music in this nice environment that I happened to create.

I set up a well equipped kitchen and would prepare lots of food and drink for my hosted happy hours, complete with movies, music and conversation.

I prepare all the food here from scratch, everything from pizza to complete holiday dinners that I have an open house for.

[​IMG]

Richard--W likes this.
  9. AirJordanFan93

I believe they are on a site called listentoamovie.com as well. I have yet to listen to them though I probably should.

Richard--W likes this.
  10. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Yes I counted that up in my mind and realized I'd given him a 6th. Truly unique that the Broccolis were able to offer multiple bites of the apple to one director and would stick with him if he wanted it. Do I remember that they did offer hunt Diamonds and he turned them down or was Hamilton their first choice as the concept was more of a Goldfinger II: DiamondFinger! Wish the scripts had been more up to snuff and would certainly throw a couple of Glen and Hamilton's slots to Young and Hunt if I were a Time Lord! Part of me would have loved it if Adam West had said yes but managed to play Bond as a Brit anyway. Or if Dalton had accepted in 1969 and they'd cast Judi Dench as the bratty daughter in OHMSS but then Hunt wouldn't have had the justification to keep Bond quiet! Ah you move one piece on the chess board another one moves too!

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

How many Americans were asked to play Bond?
    Clint Eastwood for one.

12. AirJordanFan93

It seems a lot of the early ideas for Diamonds always seemed to have some sort of Goldfinger connection. One of them was for Blofeld to be revealed as Goldfinger's brother and Gert Frobe would be brought back.
    I think the only one I would change is giving Diamonds to Hunt and let him do it as a proper followup to OHMSS. I don't think Hamilton did all that bad other than that. Goldfinger isn't a huge drift from what Young had done on the first two. I guess you can make the case for not using Glen during the entirety of the 80s but I doubt they are getting either Young or Hunt back by that point.

13. alexpop

What about Bond girls ( ladies)?
    Maud Adams usually gets mentioned, she was in moore then one Bond film.:)

14. AirJordanFan93

In what regard?

15. AirJordanFan93

John Gavin and Adam West are the two big ones that usually come up. I think they were interested in Burt Reynolds for Live and Let Die as well.

BeatlesObsessive and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Glamour.

17. AirJordanFan93

So if its based purely on looks those tend to differ heavily from when people discuss them as actual characters. There are a lot of Bond girls who were cast purely for that regard especially in the Connery films (Honor Blackman aside)

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

I liked Maud Adams first Bond film, she didn’t have much of a script mind.

19. AirJordanFan93

That would be The Man with the Golden Gun. She's better than Britt Ekland in that though I think she gives a much better performance in Octopussy than Golden Gun.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Pusssy Galore? how they got away with that 50 years ago. Like her Kinky Boots.

21. alexpop

In Roger Moore’s autobiography he mentions the midget actor ( Golden Gun)at some length.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. AirJordanFan93

Here is a bit of trivia, When they released the trading cards when the film came out the North American set of cards renamed her to Kitty Galore.
    Hervé Villechaize

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  23. Richard--W

Maud Adams talent was barely tapped. She had a dark turn of mind and would
    have gone deep into erotic territory if the right projects had come her way. But ....

alexpop likes this.
  24. AirJordanFan93

Bond girls were rarely given much to sink their teeth into back then. If she did one now they would give her more though they could write her character to be terrible which seems likely.

25. alexpop

Diana Rigg was the first feminist Bond Girl, think the only other one was EVa Green.

Aside ..Monica Bellucci 10 minute screen time, c’mon.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.