The Definitive Single Versions Part 1 (1958-1969)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Tullman,

In The Midnight Hour (actual title) was recorded by Wilson Pickett (in Mono) in 1965. There is no Stereo mix. In the years following it's release, the song was recorded by countless other acts.

Bob :)

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As a guitar player I can't see Eric writing a song in E-flat, but who knows. More likely Sunshine of Your Love would have been written in the key of E. Slowing a recording down a whole step is quite a lot. They must have slowed the tape down before adding vocals, otherwise Jack Bruce would have sounded like the Jolly Green Giant.

Why didn't MOFI remaster the mono version up to speed??

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I believe they're talking about Light My Fire, not Sunshine of Your Love.

Unfortunately, the multitracks to Sunshine are long gone.

4. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Since you were able to search the vaults on your Doors projects, does "D" in this case mean-destroyed intentionally, or does it mean worn out from over use?

Hypothetical question: Could you create a new Mono 45 master using the master tapes on vintage equipment. Perhaps, my question is rhetorical but, I had to ask.

Mack The Knife: I listened to my Mono on CD last night and it is the correct Mono mix. I like it better than the Stereo because it reminds me of the Atco 45. Thanks for your listening advise on that!

Bob

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob, D means D, I'm sorry to say.

I'm sure someone could create a "new" old mono single mix using the four-track tape; it's what B.B. used to make it in the first place.

BUT, I'm sure many copy tapes of the 45 version of "Light My Fire" still exist around the world.

Glad you enjoyed "Mack The Knife". I have the mono "hit" version on an old Atco CD called, er, "Atco's Greatest Hits" or something like that. Has "Deep Purple" by April & Nino and goes up to "Ride Captain Ride", even later. Can't imagine that sucker is still in print, but if someone wants the number, I can run up and get it (or send my "helper" J. O'T. to do it :) )

6. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Light My Fire: I was thinking about the feasibility of creating a tape to master onto CD, a copy tape would probably suffice but, I was thinking about that Hoffman touch. I still have my old Elektra 45, worn by repeated playing on the old (long since "D") 60's Garrard TT, Shure cartridge.

I have that same Atco LP....archived some where in a box, one of 38 such boxes...

Bob

7. Steve Hoffman

Well, not to throw water on you, Bob, but if it hasn't shown up on CD already, it's not going to.

The Doors would never allow it. They HATE the edited version of the song, and it's their dime!

8. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I stand so doused!

I had read where they hated the edit years ago but, I had to least explore the idea, ask the questions, wish for world peace, etc.

Thanks!

Bob ;)

9. Steve Hoffman

Bob, if it was up to me, I'd re-release all the "single" mixes of the Doors stuff.

The 45 mix of "Touch Me" is KILLER!

Most of the Doors' single mixes are totally different from the LP versions.

I never saw ANY of those in the vaults though. Sniff. :(

10. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Did you look in aisle 45A?

Touch Me: I have long forgotten, how is the 45 edit different than the LP version?

Bob

11. Steve Hoffman

Not an edit, just a better mix! "We Could Be So Good Together" also a killer 45 mix.

All the Doors' 45's are better mixes than their LP's (IMO).

None of them are edited except "Light My Fire", they are just "mixed to matter"!

12. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I remember Unknown Soldier, Love Me Two Times and Hello, I Love You being cut pretty "hot" on 45 but, I guess, that I forgotten that Touch Me was as well. I do not remember Riders On The Storm on 45 being cut as hot, maybe more compressed.

Thanks for the continuing insights!

Bob :)

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's the "single" version or not, but there is an edited version of Riders On the Storm. A radio station in the Milwaukee area plays that one...

14. Steve Hoffman

Yes, of course.

I just meant in the "golden era". 1967- early 69...

"Love Her Madly" was cut up too...

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have the "Touch Me" 45 and it is "killer", as Steve puts it!

The guitars are louder, the drums are louder, and there is a touch of extra reverb added.

16. Steve Hoffman

Yes, that's THE version of the song.

And it cannot be bought!

A shame.

17. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Was the original 45 of "Touch Me" in stereo or mono? Just wondering since I have a reissue copy of the single in stereo that sounds different than any version on CD. Definitely hotter than on any vinyl or CD pressings I've heard.

18. Steve Hoffman

Oh, stereo, yes!

19. Grant

I notice the mastering of "Hello, I Love You", as on the cube box, sounds more aggressive. Is this close to the 45?

Interesting note: The 45s pressed on the west coast with the colorful red, white, and black label, have the proper title "Hello, I Love You". The 45s pressed on the east coast (with the gold in the label) are entitled, "Hello, I Love You, Won't You Tell Me Your Name".

I have seen these two 45s but never played them, and don't recall how the song sounded on the radio back then.

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Cool!!! The copy I have was definitely made from the original single master. The reissue I have is backed with "Hello I Love You". Great pairing!!!

21. Grant

Yes, that's the one, the acid version! I made a CD-R of it.

22. Steve Hoffman

The "Hello I Love You" 45 mix was mono however...

23. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I'll have to listen to it again. It could be mislabeled on the reissue.

24. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

My "original" 45 of Hello, I Love You was in Stereo! Bought on the East Coast (Long Island) if THAT matters. I think I got Paul Revere & The Raiders - Don't Take It So Hard (NOT stereo) around the same time. Wasn't Hello, I Love You the first of the compatable (Stereo/Mono) releases?

PS, Bob...I'm not quite in sync with your Stereo/Mono releases!

Steve! Little help here!
    Psychotic Reaction in Stereo?

25. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I quite clearly remember that "Hello, I love You" was a stereo single. It was the second one I had as a kid (the first being the B-side to Street Fighting Man, No Expectations). I remember the local AM station must have stille been using a mono catridge because they only broadcast the "Guitar channel". Didn't know there were keyboards on it till I bought the single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.