The Definitive Single Versions Part 1 (1958-1969)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Re: Re: New Avatar?

Grant,

Thanks! Disco Lady--a wonderful track!

Any comments on my latest additions on Page (5)?

Bob :)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Re: Re: Re: New Avatar?

Yeah! Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady" didn't come out until the summer of 1970!:eek:

3. Bob Lovely

Green-Eyed Lady

Grant,

I believe the album was released in 69'. You are correct about that single mix. The song was popular for a long time as an album track before a single mix was configured! I bought the album shortly after it's release. The long version has always been a personal favorite.

4. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Although the single mix is the definitive SINGLE version of the song, it does not fit the musical concept of the Crimson and Clover LP the way the remixed version does, and I think in the case of Crimson and Clover, you almost have to consider the two versions separately. Philosophically, they are two different songs. The single version was recorded/produced specifically for release as a single, while James was still concentrating on individual song mixes. After the release of the single James became infatuated with music from a conceptual point of view, and produced two conceptual albums - "Crimson and Clover" and "Cellophane Symphony." Of the two LPs, "Crimson and Clover" has a more fully realized/refined sound/style, whereas "Cellophane Symphony" sounds more experimental and chaotic. However, the music on "Crimson and Clover" is layered the way fine jazz is layered - on each song there are several things going on in the mix, and wherever your attention is directed determines what you will hear at a given moment. If you listen to this album the way you might listen to a great jazz LP (as opposed to a pop record) it's impossible to concentrate on any one thing for the duration of the song, so you tend to start wandering around in the mix, and sort of drift in and out. The sound of the "Crimson and Clover" LP just sort of washes over you, especially if it's on just as you fall asleep. It's a VERY druggy kind of sound, that reminds me of a fever dream. Probably a child of heroin mixed with LSD.

The single does not have exactly the same jazz/druggy element in the mix, and although it works better as a single, it probably would have been out of place on the LP. I prefer the single version as a SONG. I prefer the remix as music, and I believe the remix is probably closer to the sounds James was hearing in his head at the time. I don't think James got as much respect from his peers as he might have if he hadn't put out so much pop prior to "Crimson and Clover," but I wouldn't be suprised if Pink Floyd didn't apply some of the musical ideas that were laid out on the "Crimson and Clover" LP to DSOTM.

5. Grant

That's good info, but we're talking about singles. So, the original single version of "Crimson And Clover" is the subject. Besides, the long version was poorly edited.

Bob, do you put "Green-Eyed Lady" on 60s comps or 70s comps. I always put it on 70s comps because it charted as a single in the 70s.

But, I guess things produced in the late 60s that carried over into the 70s can qualify as being part of the 60s decade, just as I consider early 1980s hits as 70s recordings. Hmmmm, both, actually.

6. Bob Lovely

Crimson & Clover

dwmann,

Great post and I agree with your coments. When I record a Top 40 comp, I use the single version. When I record the song in a Classic Rock comp, I use the full length LP version. My use confirms your post!

Thanks for jumping in!

7. Grant

Ak! Bob, we posted at the same time, so I guess you missed my question.

8. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Both 60's and 70's! My memory carries over from the hearing the album version in late 69' to the single version in 70'. Those songs that are the cusp of a decade often get mis-labeled as belonging to one decade or another when the music, it's own way, transcends time.

Bob

9. Grant

Hmmm, that's an idea for a comp...songs that missed a decade? Hmmmm...orphans? displaced?

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

There were a number of album tracks recorded and released in the late 60's that later (sometimes, several years) became hits in the early 70's. They were often highly edited or even re-mxed.

Try this list:

Bridge Over Troubled Water--Simon & Garfunkle
    Tears Of A Clown--Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    American Woman/No Sugar Tonight--Guess Who
    Get Ready--Rare Earth
    Whole Lotta Love--Led Zeppelin
    No Time--Guess Who (actually re-recorded)
    Evil Ways--Santana
    Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?--Chicago
    Liar--Three Dog Night
    Nights In White Satin--Moody Blues
    Make Me Smile--Chicago

There are probably more.

Bob

11. Grant

Why does everyone spell his name wrong? It's GARFUNKEL!;)
    Are you sure about that being recorded in the 60s??? It was released in the summer of 1971.

Hey, another one: "Superstar" by Murry Head & The Trinidad Singers on Decca from the "Jesus Christ Superstar" Rock-Opera LP. The LP was released in 1969 but the single didn't take off until 1971.

12. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Sorry about the spelling error. :o

I am pretty sure that Liar was recorded in 69'. I could very well be wrong. I know that it was popular as an album track for a long time before being edited and remixed as a single.

Superstar--Great example! Wasn't the single version edited as well?

Bob

13. Grant

No. The whole song is there on the single.

14. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I thought it was edited out a continuous track from the LP.....that is what I meant, sorry...since it was a Rock Opera!

Bob

15. Grant

Bob,

If you have it, you will see that the whole album was tightly edited together like the Beatles' White Album, "Superstar" was sandwiched in between "Trial By Pilate (39 Lashes) and "The Crucifiction". The song is there in it's entierty. They just extracted it for the single.

16. Bob Lovely

A Quick Note

Friends,

Thanks to all that have posted in my thread. I will be out of town on business tomorrow but, I will respond to all posts on Thursday!

Warm regards,

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I like the sound on the 45 edit of CCR's "Born on the Bayou". I don't know if this is a separate mono mix or a fold-down of the stereo, but it has a great bass sound - very hot!

18. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: A Quick Note

Great. Then you can start a definitive 70's & 80's thread and we can go wild!

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Re: Re: A Quick Note

wild=broke?

:p

20. Grant

Tomorrow or Friday I will start on my 70s list.

21. Bob Lovely

Grant,

We look forward to it. I look forward to contributing!

Bob :D

22. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I just realized I forgot to include Eric Burdon & The Animals "Sky Pilot" single version on this list. It has a different mix than the LP, with some added reverb effects.

23. Bob Lovely

Sky Pilot

Dave,

Excellant example!! The 45 single version is definitive. Great contribution!

Bob

:)

24. Grant

It's coming, it's coming...:)

25. Bob Lovely

Grant,

No worry! I know how much work is involved....a labor of love but, a lot of work, none the less.

I look forward to your thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.