The Delays singer Greg Gilbert-R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love The Delays, got wind of them here on SHF 16 years after their big splash, really thrillng psych pop shoegaze sound.

Ran across a 2019 article today about lead singer Greg Gilbert, bowel cancer diagnosis five years ago just after becoming a father. Was struck by his brilliance, poetry, art, and philosophy, extremely articulate about looking at death - my takeaway is cherish the moment.

Guardian article link - Delays singer Greg Gilbert: 'I was taking peppermint pills but I had bowel cancer'

His wife set up a gofundme for the skyhigh expensive cancer drug that insurance doesn't cover - it appears to be working, Greg looked ok as of 2019.

Gofundme Give4Greg link - Give4Greg, organized by Stacey Heale

[​IMG]

The Delays - Nearer Than Heaven

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Stephen Palmer and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. Warksman

Warksman Forum Resident

Yes I heard some years ago that Greg Gilbert has cancer. Not sure if he’s improved at all, don’t know how things are with him lately but hope and prayers going out to him and his family. I loved a lot of Delays stuff especially the Faded Seaside Glamour album and saw them live a few times around 2006-2010 and they were brilliant live and Greg is a very talented singer and musician. Great songs, great lyrics. Faves of mine are Wanderlust, Nearer Than Heaven and Valentine

Eric_Generic and thematinggame like this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, another fan of theirs - possibly one of my favourite bands between 2005-2007 - and I was shocked to hear of his health struggles when I first heard about them.

EG.

4. speedracer

When I hit donate at the GoFundMe link above, it said "donations paused" . . . I don't much want to dwell on what this might mean. Hoping Greg & co are weathering the storm.

walrus likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Big fan since I stumbled on their first album in 2004. Seemingly the only US person to do so, since none of their later records even came out here. Their first three albums still get a lot of play from me...really hope he pulls through and is able to return to music one day. They only made four records, so you have to believe there's plenty left there creatively.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wishing him well...

Paul H likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sending prayers.

8. Hi-Fi Pageant People

Hi-Fi Pageant People Forum Resident

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

kt66brooklyn and walrus like this.
  10. walrus

This is so bumming me out. Revisiting their catalog and it's still so fantastic. Wish they'd managed to make a fifth record before all this happened. I wonder if they'll put out some stuff in the future, kinda like Mansun did after they split.

11. speedracer

"I still believe in magic, the power of a good gesture and laughter. I want to fill the days ahead with all of these and so much more.”

Greg Gilbert (recent quote)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Stone Turntable likes this.
  12. speedracer

bump for Greg! Because he mentioned he is drawing strength from internet vibes right now, so here are some good vibes Greg!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. walrus

Not unexpected, but still devastating news :cry:

14. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I don’t know the band I must admit, but what a tragedy when he has such young children, that’s the bit I find to be the most upsetting.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  15. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

What awfully sad news. He was a heck of a singer, and I still enjoy Delays' first couple of albums. I'll be giving them a spin tonight. Rest in peace, Greg.

16. Hi-Fi Pageant People

Hi-Fi Pageant People Forum Resident

Really sad news.
    Been following his brave dignified battle from the outset.
    A truly inspirational guy & artist.
    Last year during the first lockdown when everyone was bored stiff & doing their top 10/favourite something whatever lists on social media, the year 2004 & Faded Seaside Glamour was included as one my personal choices.
    Just a great debut record.
    A real shame that we’ve lost a decent bloke & loving family man so young.

17. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

Also very upset by hearing this news yesterday evening, knowing it was likely to be coming made it no easier at all. Aaron's message was beautifully written, as were the words from Greg's wife Stacey.
    I can't imagine what it's like for the immediate family, and Greg's young daughters to lose their Dad at only 44 years old.
    I have been a big fan of Delays since a great friend of mine played Faded Seaside Glamour a couple of weeks after it was released - all their albums have their own charm, and his singing and songwriting were superb. As for his artwork and drawings - wow, they were the work of a master.
    RIP and thanks for brightening my life with your talents Greg :righton:

18. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Dreamer of Tangerines

Very sad news. Great band, great singer. Faded Seaside Glamour will always be a classic.

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Despite trying to keep an eye on Greg's situation, I had no idea he'd passed away earlier in the year until recently. As a father with a young son, this distresses me greatly. I can't begin to think how his family feel right now. And, of course, we've also lost a stupendous talent. Delays were one of the great bands of the last decade or so and deserved far greater success than they achieved. You See Colours is one of my all-time favourite albums. Rest in peace, Greg. And thank you.

Thorpy and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Ah damn, this news passed me by. Such a tragedy. RIP Greg.

21. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

My goodness. Such a powerful, beautiful eulogy. Truly made me think about life today.

Paul H likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Greg passed while I was absent from the SHF, but it was awful news to hear. I bought up all the Delays EPs that I didn't already have, and listened to it all in tribute and also as a reminder to myself of how much I liked the band in the mid-00s.

EG.

Thorpy and Paul H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.