“The Dirt” (Motley Crue movie bio based on Nikki Sixx’s book)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kossoff is God, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This just looks dopey.

Chris DeVoe and danielbravo like this.
  2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agreed. As someone said above, the trailer for this makes a piece of a formula fluff like Bohemian Rhapsody look like serious cinema.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. If you were there in the 1980's you'll remember that Motley Crue were never taken seriously by anybody. Except their fans. Believe me, I went to a show on the uber-glam 1987 'GirlsGirlsGirls' tour, and a more drunken, wasted, yet enthusiastically devoted crowd you will never see.
    I'm guessing 'The Dirt' will appeal greatly to both those old enough to have been there & those young'uns who want a peek behind that particular 1980's curtain. Despite the drugs, misogyny, and tragic death of course...

4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Doesn't look good by any standard. Not that I'm surprised - a band biopic featuring one of the biggest scumbags in rock (Vince Neil) shouldn't engender a lot of empathy no matter how hard it might try. Maybe there's a good movie that could be pulled from "The Dirt" but a low budget affair featuring a cast that looks about as close to the characters they portray as any episode of "Breaking The Band" ain't it.

BTW, at what point does Netflix go bankrupt financing this kind of junk?

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

This looks really bad.

6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I feel like I'm at the point where Motley Crue is like a guy who won't shut up about the sweet kegger he had in senior year, only now he's 42.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m definitely going to watch this since it’s free and looking foreword to it. It’s a very entertaining book.

8. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Netflix is free now? :laugh:

I will watch it regardless of reviews or word of mouth.

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

'National Lampoons Metal'

Matthew Tate and Old Rusty like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And now Nikki will write The Keg Diaries.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

****ing nailed it.

Maybe he'll compile this wonderful character testament from one of his earlier books:

MikaelaArsenault and mr. steak like this.
  12. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

I bet it will b the Biggest Movie Netflix has ever Released

Tons of people will watch this

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Not sure where to post MC content... but Sixx just posted a clip of one of the new tracks being released with the film... I like it... I like catchy poppy Motley Crue more than dark almost industrial Motley Crue.

bru87tr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Do you or anyone else really think that Motley Crue's reputation is actually going to suffer because of this movie?

Dudley Morris, Freebird and Graham like this.
  15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

That would be an entirely different, and likely much more interesting, movie. :D

That said... I lost interest in the Crue after Shout At The Devil, but I gotta admit, The Dirt was a phenomenal read.

This movie looks like cheesy fun. I'm in.

Dudley Morris and BA Baracus like this.
  16. I know, right? Everyone knows their reputation. The chances of them getting caught up in some sort of #metoo movement because of a silly movie is below zero. Who exactly is going to boycott buying their albums after seeing the movie? I love Motley Crue but they haven't been relevant since 1991 (and I realize I'm opening myself up to comments of "they were never relevant") lol.

This movie will move a few soundtrack and back catalog albums and then everyone will forget it ever existed.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Seems like this would have been better if they had done it in a series instead of one movie. I dunno, the trailer made it look really awful, but I’ll probably still watch it anyway if, for nothing else, pure curiosity. As I said, I loved the book and loved their first two records.

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Crüe have discovered their social conscience:

Motley Crue Discuss ‘The Dirt’ Soundtrack Songs, ‘Like a Virgin’ Cover – Rolling Stone

19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Great trailer! It may be a crappy movie, who knows? We played the LA circuit as these guys were up-and-coming. I'll watch it when it comes to Netflix, will be interested to see how the movie portrays their early days. Madame Wongs, Gazarris, the Troubador.. we played there, so did the Crue.

Scroller, Freebird and clhboa like this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It looks like Nikki Sixx is suddenly worried about his reputation.

Mötley Crüe's Nikki Sixx retracts rape admission

21. As he should, he and the band were in the middle of some horrible things and times have definitely changed since the book was released well over a decade ago. But I stand by my statement, there is about a 0% chance the release of this film results in some sort of #metoo movement that brings down Motley Crue...or even leads to a boycott. The people who will be shocked by the revelations aren't buying their albums/merch anyhow.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I would agree that what happened happened far enough in the past that they’ll probably get away unscathed. But Sixx at least seems to be smart enough to try to distance himself from the worst anecdotes in the boom.

23. Ditto. I'm confident it's gonna suck, but I'm nevertheless interested to see how they pull it off. Who knows, maybe it'll actually be OK.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

25. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I think attempting to apply today's morals and outrage to things that happened decades ago is kinda foolish. Things were accepted then that aren't today. It was a different time. Not saying it was right or wrong, just what was. It's like people are trying to whitewash history. Personally, I say accept the past and try to learn from it, but don't try to hide it and pretend it never happened or try to prosecute someone for something they did decades ago as a stupid teenager.

Everyone is just to darned delicate and sensy-poo these days...

I'm sure not all will agree, and that's ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.