"The Disc is Dirty" error message

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DavidF, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've never had this happen before. My daughter was watching a brand new DVD on a Sony 5-disc player. This message came up. Just prior, I noticed the disc was changing colors. I plugged the video cable in securely and thought it was fixed. A bit later it stopped with the "disc is dirty" message. Brand new DVD. I looked at it closely. Perfect. Could it be I need one of those lens cleaner discs?

I'm very careful with my discs and player, so this is extremely annoying.

I looked on the net and it seems like others has the problem. C:13:00 The Disc is Dirty" error message.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Don't forget; the drive won't KNOW the disc is dirty. If other disks are having a bad time getting read, then your DVD player might have focus problems with the pickup. Most would just buy a new deck.

3. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll keep an eye on it. Like I said, this has never happened before. I've had single disc and a 5-disc players. I thought maybe something was dirty on the lens, since another disc had the discoloration problem (at about the same time). It hasn't happened again since I opened the player, looked at the disc, and played it again.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Ha ha ha ha...! The infamous Sony "disc is dirty" error. You get that error message for any of a multitude of reasons, including incompatibility of the disc with your player (for burned discs) as well as discs that, for one reason or another (dirty, scratch, laser has problems) can't be read...

I am not laughing at you. I have gone through this myself with Sony players/recorders. Very annoying.

Kwad

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I only get it On my Sony DVD player when the disc is not formatted properly or is defective in some other way, and it only happens on DVD-/+ writables.

6. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

I had a Sony single disc DVD player about 4 years ago, I don't even remember the model number now that would get that error message every now and then. I would clean the disc off put it back in and it would play from that point out. Then all of a sudden every disc that you would put in would do the same thing the minute it was put in the player and it would not play anything, DVD or CD. Needless to say I bought another player and have not had any further problems. I have not owned any other Sony DVD players since then either.

7. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Was it a DVD that had "mature" content? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.