The Dolly Parton appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 5, 2013.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Seriously I think she is amazing. I can't find one bad thing to say about her. Her music is timeless. She has done country, folk, bluegrass, and pop and it's all great. She has written thousands of songs and is an extremely smart business woman. She's an icon!

Here is a song I just heard from her last album. Absolutely beautiful. What a voice!

2. While I don't think I couldn't say one thing bad about her (I wouldn't hire her as an interior decorator), I do think she has one of the most beautiful and expressive voices in the western world. She also an excellent songwriter and my favorite female country singer of all time.

The clip you posted is great. Thanks!

Greenalishi and Jarleboy like this.
  3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I :love: DOLLY!

Greenalishi, Jarleboy and starduster like this.
  4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

She's great! A fantastic singer and a gifted songwriter.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I appreciate Dolly Parton's music. O.K., I'll admit it. I like some of her '80s movies, too. : hide:

6. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Dolly kills it! Definitely in my top ten, maybe even top five female artists.

She wrote some seriously dark and disturbing songs in the 60s and early 70s, pretty much every album she released back then has one of them. Very un-commercial, but extremely cool stuff.

This is my absolute favourite Dolly clip, so much charm, warmth and personality, just standing there singing:

KevlarHeart, Greenalishi and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

While she's not among my favorite country artists i still like and respect Dolly a lot, her own original version of ''I Will Always Love You'' almost brings tears to my eyes, perfect match of voice and song, i much prefer it to Whitney Houston's, she's written a few other classics as well.

Greenalishi and Jarleboy like this.
  8. bartels76

Another one of my favorites from Halos and Horns.

9. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I agree. A great talent. Smart lady and, well...yes - very attractive. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I'm sure Dolly would agree.

Aftermath, starduster and Jarleboy like this.
  10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have always been a fan of Dolly's music as well. Great talent.

starduster and Jarleboy like this.
  11. bartels76

This is a classic.

D-rock, Greenalishi, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  12. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

"We're going to try and get Dolly Parton who I adore. I think Dolly is one of the greatest ... of course, very big breasts ... very alluring ... she's a very alluring girl."

-Brian Wilson

13. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love Dolly and not ashamed to admit that. I still have to listen to the box set that came out a few years ago. Her talents are impressive. She is so versatile - she can sing, write songs, act, and she's an excellent businesswoman.

Greenalishi, starduster and Jarleboy like this.
  14. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a discussion of the best sounding sources for her early stuff. I can fully rec "The Essential Porter and Dolly". Great stuff!

15. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

I agree great singer and excellent song writer.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great voice, and a wonderful sense of humor. 'Coat Of Many Colors" is such a beautiful song.

Brettlowden and Jarleboy like this.
  17. KeithH

Outside of the compilation that Steve mastered years ago (rare and pricey), are there any Dolly Parton compilations that folks can recommend for good sound?

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I love Hard Candy Christmas. Just saw a Bio on her not long ago.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Dolly Parton/ Greatest Hits (Buy a European CD with all songs or the original US RCA CD or LP). In the oldest days, there was guaranteed to be at least one Dead Baby song per Dolly LP.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. jeffcdo

jeffcdo Senior Member

I spent some time exploring her music last year and while I agree she is very talented there is quite a bit of schmaltz in her catalog.

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Actually, I don't think Steve mastered a Dolly compilation. He mastered the DCC release of the album "Here You Come Again."

The 4-cd box set, simply titled "Dolly," sounds good. If that's more Dolly than you want, there was a single cd comp titled "Ultimate Dolly Parton" mastered by Vic Anesini that sounds good (he also did the 2-cd version that was issued in Europe). I'm not sure, but he might have also done the "Essential" comp issued by Sony (not to be confused with the earlier Essential volume 1 and 2 comps issued by RCA before Sony & BMG merged, which don't sound very good).

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. bartels76

23. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

24. KeithH

Thanks. I was thinking that was a compilation that Steve mastered. That is the only Dolly Parton album he mastered.

I just checked, and it turns out that I have The Essential Dolly Parton 3.0, which Shawn mentioned. It is the current two-disc set with an extra disc thrown in. I don't recall buying it, but it may have been an impulsive purchase on the cheap at Target awhile back. Given that plus my old RCA Greatest Hits CD, I think I'm covered. Thanks for your comments.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. houston

houston Forum Resident

yes, her talents are impressive....both of them (obligatory childish snickering inserted here ;))

Dolly is multi-talented, and doesn't get the respect she deserves, I think....maybe due to her foray away from traditional country towards the pop market, and perhaps because of her...well...unfortunate plastic surgery choices; I agree her original "I will always love you" blows Whitney's away

Jarleboy likes this.