The Dolly Parton appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 5, 2013.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been a fan since Jolene...

RSteven and D-rock like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

very funny! ah-ha

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Always loved the song "In The Good 'Ole Days, When Times Were Bad" from the early years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Mixcloud

Dolly revisits "9 to 5 & Other Odd Jobs" on its 40th Anniversary. Fun listen!

rfkavanagh and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Surprised no one's shared this yet - Dolly sang "5 to 9" for Squarespace's Super Bowl ad. It's fun if you don't think too much about what an awful reflection it is of the contemporary world of work (at least in the US), suggesting that people should work every remaining hour of their day to get out of the soul-destroying dead-end job they're caught in during work hours...

7. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

Wondering if anyone has purchased the Wal Mart purple vinyl edition of 16 Biggest Hits. Curious about sound and specifically which version of "I Will Always Love You" is used. Assuming it is the original but would love to have her late 80's (Best Little Whorehouse in Texas) version on vinyl.

D-rock and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Thank you, Bill Owens.
    [​IMG]

Dolly posted a tribute to her uncle on Facebook.

ispace, rfkavanagh and D-rock like this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That was a lovely tribute from Dolly, and of course we would have expected nothing less.

Aurora and D-rock like this.
  10. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I mainly like Dolly when she is singing, sometimes with Porter, about people dying. Me and Little Andy is wonderful especially when she channels the kid voice.

Matthew Tate and RSteven like this.
  11. rfkavanagh

I finally bought a copy of the Australian Legendary Dolly Parton 3CD set from 2000 so I could get the original album version of Two Doors Down (it's the only release on which the original version appears other than the original run of the Here You Come Again album). I'm sure it's been on YouTube for years, but I'd never gone looking for it so I'm pretty sure I'd never heard it before given it was replaced on the album by the more poppy single version almost immediately. Obviously the single was a success, but I think I prefer the original version, plus there's more to the story and the lyrics make more sense with the first verse included. :)

[​IMG]

12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I own that for the same reason. I love that version better than the album version.

Aurora, Matthew Tate and rfkavanagh like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Deluxe 'Songteller' Coming In October:

A deluxe edition of Dolly's Songteller song autobiography was supposed to come out in January in honor of her 75th birthday but was delayed. The publisher has let book dealers know that the limited edition run will instead come out Oct. 12. It will come in a denim-wrapped foil-stamped clamshell box and feature a pink vinyl 45 of two previously unreleased Dolly demo recordings, "I Don't Care" (which she and Uncle Bill Owens co-wrote together) and "The Fall." Your webmaster hasn't been able to locate an American listing for the book yet with the U.S. release price but a British retailer has it for 190 pounds (about $270 U.S.) and a Canadian retailer has it for $365 Canadian (about $300 U.S.).

~ Source: Dolly Parton - Dollymania: The Online Dolly Parton Newsmagazine. Your premier resource for Dolly Parton news and information. The only regularly-updated Dolly Parton website available.

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

... 50th anniversary edition of Dolly's Coat Of Many Colors on clear rainbow splatter vinyl for August, and Emmylou Harris' Pieces Of Sky (which contains her 1975 cover of “Coat Of Many Colors”) on gold nugget vinyl for September.

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I own zero music of hers, but I love hearing it and listening to her interviews as well.

In my eyes and in my ears, Ms. Parton has definitely achieved the status of an American treasure, on all sorts of levels.

D-rock, Matthew Tate and Jarleboy like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I know it’s a classic album, but i would rather they release something of hers never on vinyl before…

18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have to say o don't like that album cover, Dolly looks more like Tammy Wynette...

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Not that there´s anything wrong with Tammy Wynette. Agreed? :shh: Though she did die in 1998, a couple of days before my mother followed suit. I never liked that combination - my mother was even a fan of Tammy´s. :cry:

bob60 likes this.
  20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Laminated, and on the Man-Cave wall. Just wish it was autographed.....

[​IMG]

hi_watt and ispace like this.
  21. rfkavanagh

22. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

She is truly an international treasure.
    The whole world loves Dolly Parton.

ggjjr, RSteven, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Isn't that the truth