The Dolly Parton appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 5, 2013.

1. houston

houston Forum Resident

hmmmm...those are some hot ladies sitting there

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's a beautiful sounding Trio. Their voices blend so well together. There was talk of a Trio box set being released by Rhino a year or two ago with some unreleased tracks. Wish that would get released.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. I'm not generally impressed with "supergroups", but I make an exception in this case. Dolly, Emmylou and Linda are friends, work very well together and have produced beautiful music rather than the exploitive crap that some other "supergroups" have. I have everything by the Trio that I've been able to find including some cool boots.

Jarleboy and direwolf-pgh like this.
  4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I Love Dolly and I'm not ashamed to say it. Can't get into some of the 80's stuff but she was amazing until the late 70's This is one of my favorites:

Wounded Land and Jarleboy like this.
  5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

And this one with Porter.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

One thing about Dolly that nobody hardly ever mentions: She's a kick ass musician! Besides the great singing and songwriting, that lady can actually play.

I remember watching the Porter Wagoner Show with my grandmother when I was a kid.

Dolly is one fine hillbilly diva/multi-instrumentalist/songwriter who can play circles around most musicians.

7. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Her voice always sounds like home to me. She is a brilliant singer and writer and has a wonderful sense of humour. What a great person!

EVOLVIST and Jarleboy like this.
  8. houston

houston Forum Resident

good place to ask this question....the song " Mr. Sandman", by Emmylou Harris...my understanding is Dolly and Linda backed her on this song, but the song available on Emmylou's cd (s) is not the hit single version, it is a slightly different song....if that is so, can the original hit version of Mr. Sandman be found on a cd compilation? or am I wrong on what I posted?

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. The "Mr. Sandman" single is Emmylou harmonizing with herself. Dolly and Linda are not on this. The single version can be found on Profile II: The Best Of Emmylou Harris.

The "Mr. Sandman" recording on the Evangeline album is backed up by Dolly and Linda.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Wow, this is a nice thread. I started one like this a couple of years ago and asked to everyone to focus on her music not the other stuff that boys find unaccountably fascinating. Needless to say the thread moved quickly into the locker room and died a merciful death.

Yeah that some folks like her and her music. She is a class act, a great picker, and a great writer. Read the first third of her autobiography to get a sense of where she started from- abject rural poverty.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I bought a Dolly Parton maxi-single once. 'Jolene' b/w 'Coat of Many Colours' / 'Love is Like a Butterfly'. It's all the Dolly that I ever needed.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. John S

John S Forum Resident

I met and talked with Dolly many years ago after a concert she and Porter did in a high school gym in Richmond, IN. She was very gracious. Some of her fans (not all men) made loving references to her ample bosom which she handled with grace. A great person.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw her in concert once and she put a great show on....

Great writer, singer, player...

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

How does she play and pick with those long fingernails?

audiodefiled likes this.
  15. houston

houston Forum Resident

thanks for the information!

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. I don't think she does. She had shorter fingernails when she was on the old Porter Wagoner show and played the banjo quite well on occasion.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That Legendary set from Australia is very nice and the only place I've heard the "original" with extra verse, 'Two Doors Down'.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The box set Dolly sounds good, is 4 discs and cheap. It is a great buy.

I think the greatest female country artist comes down to Dolly and Loretta. For that matter, maybe for greatest female artist period.

They are both fantastic songwriters (though Dolly was more prolific) and singers.

They also both found late career inspiration. Loretta with Van Lear Rose and Dolly with her three bluegrass albums.

Some days I say Loretta, others I take Dolly.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

She was Peter Gabriel's first choice (see SO doc) for Don't Give Up.

I think Jewel would do a fantastic job with Jolene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

bizarre mix on this track ... the lead guitar sounds like he's playing in a different band, then sometimes he disappears altogether.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

A great talent, a terrific personality and a saavy business person. In her own way, an American treasure and I don't think that is hyperbole.

mando_dan, EVOLVIST and Jarleboy like this.
  24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

On a related note. I just read an oral history of Whitney doing I Will Always Love You. David Foster picked up Ronstadt's version as he couldn't find Dolly's. Luckily he called Dolly and told him that there is a 3rd verse not on Linda's version. The song almost never had the "I wish you joy and happiness"..etc.

Also, you know that Dolly refused to give up half the rights to her song so Elvis could record it. Absolutely so smart of her because look what happened 15 years later.

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/vi...-parton-turn-down-elvis-presley/1320761373001

Jarleboy and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  25. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the video clip, I've never heard that song before. At the end she says "Oh, don't you love them old sad songs? I do. That's just like therapy for me, getting all that out."

I looked it up at Allmusic.com and they show it first on an album of hers called "Backwoods Barbie" from 2008, with Dolly listed as the composer. Does she have an older version under a slightly different title that the search engine didn't catch, or was she just using a figure of speech?

Jarleboy likes this.