The Dolly Parton appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 5, 2013.

1. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

One of the best songwriters of all time, imo. She's awesome.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

As far as I know the first time she recorded was on Backwoods Barbie.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been a fan since Jolene...

Jarleboy and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  4. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I always loved her work with Emmylou and Linda before there was an official "Trio". Especially on Emmylou's "Roses In The Snow" album.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. I don't think Dolly should be judged by only these rather syrupy songs, unless you just don't like her voice. Some of her later stuff is very different.

Personally I adore "Love is Like a Butterfly". :hide:

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I love many Dolly Parton tunes, but my all time favorite of them is "Here You Come Again"

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I think it's new song from that album.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Fantastic singer.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Most people over here know that song as the theme to the BBC TV sitcom Butterflies, where it was sung by Clare Torry, who famously performed the wordless vocals on Pink Floyd's 'The Great Gig in the Sky' on Dark Side of the Moon.

Jarleboy and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  10. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

I took my mum to see Dolly here in Brisbane last Saturday night. It started very loud and with a muddy mix with echoey vocals, but once they got that sorted it was simply sublime. Her voice is still pure and pitch perfect, she looks fantastic and her multi-instrumental skills are astounding. She tells many stories and gives a lot of info about her background.

She also tells a lot of jokes ie she doesn't mind dumb blonde jokes "because I ain't dumb and I ain't blonde", and "I have a tiny waist and small petite feet because nothing ever grows in the shade".

We really enjoyed hearing many of the new songs from the "Blue Smoke" album performed live, as well as many many classics. Pick up the album, and go see her if you get a chance!

Jarleboy, Hey Vinyl Man and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I love Dolly. I have all her albums and I've seen her live a couple times. Still not sure though if she is lip syncing or not. Anyone else notice that she does from time to time?

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I do like some of Dolly Parton's songs.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

"Class Act" is a very appropriate description of Dolly Parton.

She makes singing and songwriting sound easy.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I never felt that her singing was lip-synched, but I did wonder about some of the instruments she played - the recorder and the sax. Her voice was amazing last night, and it was great throughout the show, sometimes she was completely a cappella. If it was lip synched then it was pretty damn flawlessly done :)

Steve

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I love the movie 9 to 5.:thumbsup:

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I'm a fan but.... I think she is largely a wasted talent. I don't like anything she's done since her crossover in the mid seventies the way I like my favorite
    2-3 dozen tracks made between '68 and '75. I don't think the talent (and maybe not the inspiration either) has flown. No, rather I get the feeling she
    has done what she meant to do. I actually got to talk with her briefly in the mid seventies just before she crossed over and she was clearly a driven woman.
    Driven to be more than a "country star" which she already was. She wanted to be "huge" without the "country" in front of it. I get the feeling her own
    intentions, brilliantly realized have artistically tainted even her "back to the roots" moves. Mind you... I'm a fan. I was just watching a live show she did last year on tv.
    and at 69 years old her voice is as supple and attractive and ever. and more important she is still both willing and able to sing with care. She sang
    Coat of many colors and even after FORTY YEARS of performances, she was willing and able to do the song justice. A GREAT artist, no doubt about it.
    I just wish there were more of her that I liked so that I wasn't reduced to always going back to her pre-'75 output. Always a great singer. I just wished she had continued
    producing material that I wanted to hear her sing.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I actually saw her play guitar with those long nails decades ago. not strumming,
    finger picking. and she kicked ass. I also remember seeing a close up of her hands while playing on a t.v. show decades ago and there were
    those long nails. Seems like a magic trick but there you are.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Have you heard of The Grass Is Blue, Little Swallow, and Halos And Horns?

Jarleboy and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It's Little Sparrow

Jarleboy and SgtPepper1983 like this.
  21. I've been a fan for as long I can remember. A great songwriter, a gifted performer. She made some albums I didn't like, but she always came back and she never forgot her country roots.
    Here's a great version of a song by some people who called themselves Led Zeppelin:

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

My parents loved that show, and for that reason Clare Torry's version was the only one I knew for years as well. I remember being very surprised when I learned who wrote it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

She's slowly becoming one of my favorite artists. I listened to Just Because I'm a Woman last week, and I think it's a great album. This is my favorite song off the album:

24. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Why he heck is the Here You Come Again CD OOP? It was her big pop breakthrough...

Jarleboy, Matthew Tate and D-rock like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Jarleboy likes this.