The Doors - L.A. Woman 50th Anniversary - what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I am awaiting the track list on this one in order to make a decision on purchasing. All the other 50th Anniversary Doors sets i haven't been all that impressed with in terms of audio content.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

They really have pretty much been a yawn-fest, and/or disappointing in other ways. The Soft Parade box is probably the most interesting.

xj32, SteveM, joshm2286 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I’ll read this in a bit

SteveM likes this.
  4. Without a shadow of a doubt it is and I suspect it will remain so long after we've had L.A. Woman 50th.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. I doubt it'll run to 3 discs, far more likely to be 2 in my view.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Sadly I agree since the don’t re-release any material.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well, the best they could do (in my opinion) is to remaster the original tape with Plangent (as they started to do with WftS), add CD2 with alternate takes and mixes (different to Workshop Sessions of course, maybe some unreleased bits like Paris Blues or whatever was damaged) and CD3 with the last Jim show. Plain and simple to me, but probably impossible to be the real thing.

avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Forum Resident

Presumably, we'll be getting a bonus disc of outtakes and studio chatter compiled from varied sessions in a fashion similar to the Morrison Hotel bonus disc.

Judging by the cancelled L.A. Woman box set, outtakes of "The Changeling," "Love Her Madly," "Been Down So Long," "L.A. Woman," "The WASP," and "Riders On The Storm" will be considered to make up about 80 minutes of bonus material.

It's unlikely we'll get outtakes of "Cars Hiss By My Window," "L'America," "Hyacinth House," or "Crawling King Snake" unless some reels have turned up since the defunct box set was announced.

I strongly doubt that "Paris Blues" will be included as the only copy known to exist is damaged and The Doors have never seemed interested in releasing it. But I'm willing to hold out hope and be pleasantly surprised.

Soundslave and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

Michael "Two foot" Stull, I wonder if he was related to little miss 5 feet five

10. avp2029

avp2029 Forum Resident

I definitely assume it will be a single bonus disc of a few selections from the 40th box set that was supposed to happen. No way we'll get the full thing unfortunately.

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And don't forget....that bonus disc will undoubtly have some modern day over dubs by Robbie and / or John.

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I haven't been keeping up on the remastering of the original material. Have all of the album's from WFTS onward had the Plangent process? Do they sound significantly better than prior remasters?

13. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Here's a complete alternate take of "Crawling King Snake" I found on YouTube,
    shot for a piece on the Doors by GTK/ABC in Los Angeles during the LA Women sessions.
    ( Just need to edit out the women speaking in the first few seconds.)

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the same kind of stuff you got on all the other doors anniversary reissues.

nothing new of any consequence, but all the doors people will buy it and they will keep making them with even less stuff and all the doors people will keep buying and they will...............

rockclassics and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

There are a couple discs worth of LA Woman outtakes still in the archives, so there could be a couple of interesting alternate takes issued via a bonus disc, plus if there is ever going to be a release of Paris Blues, this will likely be the time and place. Still, your point is well-taken, a lot of the bonus content has been underwhelming.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and there really is only one way to stop it, or at least send the message that enough is enough.

17. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

A great album from a band I don't considered overrated. Because I didn't put them to high in the stratosphere to begin with.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

I don't think the band's representatives are hearing the message.

19. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Nothing.
    The previous sets have been nothing to shout about.
    I've bought the LP's over the years.
    That's all I need.
    Stopped after Jim karked it.

20. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Robby slipped they had indeed found a copy of Paris Blues a several years ago in a video chat. The only copy they had at the time of WYS Doc was the crappy copy which according to the director was horrible audio so he didn’t use it. It will certainly be on the 50th Box. Major disappointment if it wasn’t in some form. It is one of the holy grails from the vault and there’s not much debate about it.

Soundslave and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Not all, my friend. Some people started voting with a closed wallet years ago. Whether those in charge of the brand care is a different matter.

22. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

GTK = Get To Know and it’s the Australian Broadcasting Corporation ABC, not the American ABC.

I’m amazed how the GTK folks got to film this take. It’s the only footage from the LA Woman sessions, I think?

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I havn't watched the LA Woman DVD is quite sometime, however I recall there was studio footage.??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

That’s what I reckon this GTK footage is i.e. it’s the same stuff that’s on the LA Woman DVD and R-Evolution.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

"L'America 1969 mix declined for an Antonioni film could pop up here. The last 2 box sets had some fuzzy timelines, so why not

I only count about 6 unheard full takes from the 80+ list of outtakes leaked in 2011.

Unless they were doing weird hybrid take outfakes of vintage recordings to get a higher number of unreleased tracks. The MH box has some weird hybrids and the 2011 set doesn't list any take numbers plus one of the iTunes exclusives take #'s didn't match.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.