The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

no their legacy was when there were four band members ... two are dead now.

After them, some corporate drone in Polo loafers will be dictating their legacy. I guess we should be okay with that too . . .

Six Bachelors and rnranimal like this.
  2. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I never said you or them were wrong. I said I don’t get it. Big difference.

3. Pats Radio

See half the problem is people not knowing how it works. Management does nothing without all the parties involved agreeing on doing whatever. That’s a fact. Period. To say it’s people wearing “polo loafers” corporate types is just flat out inaccurate. It’s THEIR legacy and they can do whatever they want with it. Like it or not. Or buy it or not. I’m sure they’re not losing sleep over it either way.

4. Pats Radio

Total speculation on “no reason.” You have no idea. Neither do I but I’m not speculating.

5. masswriter

Hmm, didn't Jampol nix a release on his own?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Six Bachelors likes this.
  6. masswriter

I'm just wondering from people that know more than I, if a band like the Grateful Dead adds piped-in applause to their live releases? Do they change the song order of a concert? Do they release concerts in installments? Do they ever release them from dubious sources?

Again, just wondering . . .

tedg65, supermd and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Or King Crimson? No. Is there fake audience on Miles Davis live box sets? No. For some weird reason, there seems to be a theory, that a rock audience wants to hear a screaming stadium audience on a live album, even if there were three people and a dog in the audience. I really don't understand why.

Alan Douglas went even further with his Jimi Hendrix IOW album: Not only did he add tons of fake applause on the album, but he also added some fake hands on the album photos. I guess they were were lifted from a Roxette show.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    bluesbro likes this.
  8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead have done many things to alter their concert recordings.

No piped in applause.
    Sometimes a partial show or two have been combined and song order has been altered.
    There have been shows released in parts over more than one release.
    There are patches from either a different source for the same show or from a different show entirely in order to eliminate gaps from soundboard reel changes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I haven't read every post in this thread, so I'm not clear on what was/wasn't done in the way of tweaking.

My personal feelings on restoration releases is that the need to recreate the experience as accurately as possible with so-called "tweaking" minimized. I don't have a problem with minor fixes accounting for damaged footage, sound loss, etc., but I do have reservations about aspect ratio fiddling. The problem becomes one of increased graininess ...when 16mm academy formatted footage is cropped and blown up for WS... combined with loss to top/bottom of image that the director and camera operators intended for release at the time of filming.

Song order is an issue, but less critical unless the individual performances had an observable arc or the audience reaction, lighting, etc., changed during the course of the outdoor concert.

IMO, inserting phony crowd reactions not synced to actual performances (including reuse of crowd shots). As I see it, crowd scene repetitions should be avoided unless there's no alternative. The human mind has an uncanny way of picking up on visuals that don't sync-up and it becomes an unnecessary distraction.

So, for me ...as a long time Doors fan..., this release will probably be a mixed bag. Naturally I've preordered and look forward to it, but based on other efforts at releasing Doors performance footage it's reasonable to have reservations.

:cheers:
    Cat

supermd, Shawn, anastasios and 3 others like this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yep the Starless and Road to Red box sets, at least, covered up gaps in recorded shows by patching in additional audience noise (usually from the same gig, but sometimes from other ones where it was otherwise unavailable)

11. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

The Isle of Wight festivals imo were the premier festivals of that time, a virtual who's who of rock. It's hard for me to resist any I of W performances (I feel the same about Fillmore performances) by pretty much any band that played there. Another reason that I feel it was historic is the description indicates it was the Doors last filmed performance.

Dodoz and anastasios like this.
  12. Where do folks get the time and energy to argue about this stuff so consistently? Talking about both sides. Every time I pop into a Doors thread it’s the same thing.

Revolver, bluesbro, supermd and 4 others like this.
  13. Ern

Ern Senior Member

You're right, every Doors thread turns into this...

anastasios likes this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

No problem if you don’t understand it but that doesn’t make everyone else wrong. It just means that you don’t understand it.

Real fans can be discerning. Actually, I’d suggest that real fans are potentially the most discerning.

supermd, Buda, Tristero and 3 others like this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It’s probably important to point out that, where the Dead does a compilation rather than a single show, the liner notes and often even the title make that clear.

They are a bit shifty (well, inconsistent) on patches but they are very tastefully done.

RockRoom and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

And Dylan.

17. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Some thoughts:

This is a very poor performance completely down to Jim. The removal of the added clapping wont make it any better. Even if the stage lighting had not been so dark it wouldn't have helped much. It's probably a one time only watch. Really for completists only.

SteveM likes this.
  18. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I agree with Pats. A lot of people here complain and complain and complain,even about a Doors show that hasn’t even been released yet! I have always Loved this bootleg and cannot wait to get my preordered copy.

19. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

There is No second fog reel. It clearly states in the box set that it was lost along with her own UCLA film that she made. Maybe she will find it one day but don’t hold your breath.

kees1954 likes this.
  20. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

That’s because a lot of people complain about everything the Doors release and then gang up on Pats.

Pats Radio likes this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Pats said that Jeff had it in his possession and that it would be on the release. He stated this in May of '16, well before the release.

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don't think anyone is disputing that people are complaining. In regard to it not being released yet, the complaints are about specific details which have been semi-confirmed. If it turns out that it's not overdubbed or cropped, then we'll take back the complaints about that.

If you enjoy the release, that's great. I hope you do. If the things we are complaining about aren't a problem for you, that's cool.

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Anyone defending lossy sound shouldn't be on this forum.

Fan have access to 3 uncropped songs and now we have access to 2 cropped songs, not to mention DVDs from 7-8 other IOW acts. The same added crowd noises has been used on a previous Doors live release.

tedg65, rnranimal and Shawn like this.
  24. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Really looking forward to finally adding this to my collection after all these yesrs! Ordered!!

Pats Radio likes this.
  25. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

IMO the show was filmed very poorly to begin with and they had to do what they had to do in order to make it Look as complete as possible. I will be happy to finally see what footage is available of this Rockin’ performance. I will be happy to see Any live footage of Doors show.

Pats Radio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.