The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Haven't listened to the bootleg of this show in a while. Was Robby out of tune or not playing well at this show? On most of the Bright Midnight releases I have heard he sounds really good. I am looking forward to the BD. The show has an eerie, laidback quality in most of the clips I have seen of it.

lovemygirl likes this.
  2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Cicrulating bootlegs of IOW are master tape quality and have no technical problems that I can recall, despite what their management has implied. And The Doors haven't "overdubbed" something for reasons other than technical problems in quite some time (the 90's?).

PhantomStranger and lovemygirl like this.
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Break on Through as released on the 1997 boxset had an incredible amount of digital processing that killed the soundstage depth. Hopefully they won't go that route on this release.

Matthew Tate and lovemygirl like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Robby allegedly added some guitar overdubs to the 2012 Hollywood Bowl reissue, in particular, the Spanish Caravan intro. There were other embellishments on the Hollywood Bowl release as well. Granted, there were apparently some issues with the Hollywood Bowl tapes, but the band was not exactly fully transparent about it either. One hopes he does not rewrite history on the IOW with overdubs.

BDC, Buda, lovemygirl and 1 other person like this.
  5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I thought the Hollywood Bowl overdubs were done in 1987, when they were preparing the original VHS release. Anyway, it's pretty easy to spot the original guitar track from the overdubbed one. Most of the loud fuzzy guitar tracks were overdubs.

Of course, Bruce Botnick did some additional tinkering on the 2012 audio, like adding vocals, guitar, and keyboards from the studio recording of Hello I Love You to the live version. Some of the audience were taken from the Felt Forum concerts. Somebody shouts for Soft Parade a a full year before that album was released!

6. WonkyWilly

Right...but apparently the multi-track tapes for that show are a mess so that one falls under "technical difficulties" I guess. There were also harmonica overdubs by John Sebastian on the Felt Forum box, but that's because he wasn't recorded!

lovemygirl likes this.
  7. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...I'm all about warts and All and I dig it. If some sonic issues accure during production so be it. We are finally being gifted by officially offering a complete concert worked on by Bruce with multi track sources and a documentation of the preserved film footage after all these long long long years ;)

Pats Radio and Hall Cat like this.
  8. lovemygirl

...source of recording bootlegged over the years are not official releases and I speak only for my self but add botnicks magic plus unseen video, your turning an old piece of coal into a diamond... a diamond in the ruff!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Some of Morrison's vocals weren't recorded, due to faulty cable, so those had to be flown-in from another live recordings. Robbie Krieger's guitar was recorded, but he was not allowed to play as loud as he usually did, so his guitar sound sound was so feeble, that he had to overdub.

10. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

I wish they'd put out a live recording of a set that includes LA Woman. Now that'd be exciting.

Blue Cactus, J_D__, Lhystrix and 2 others like this.
  11. WonkyWilly

Does one exist? An audience recording maybe, but The Doors would never release that. (Not as a contemporary release anyway.)

12. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

I don't think it exists, which is why it'd be so exciting. Even audience recordings of it are hard to find. There's one (maybe 2?) on youtube in poor quality. A man can wish though :cool:

13. lovemygirl

14. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

It is coming but the scheduled release of the box was moved from the original date. Sit tight. It's close and will be a must own.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    lovemygirl and Soundslave like this.
  15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Define "close." First half of 2018?

lovemygirl and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Honest question.......why is it the Matrix Box that always gets delayed for what is approaching a decade now? IMO, it is the most important music that remains in their vault, yet it continues to get bumped for in my opinion lesser releases.

If you tell me they weren't happy with the mastering job the material received on the 1st album box set and wanted a re-do, then that I can understand. Otherwise, I don't understand the decision making behind all this. Don't know if Jampol, the record company, etc, are to blame, but it's left me quite frustrated.

17. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

It's a very important release and I believe they want to release it at the right time. I think they have put out a ton of stuff this year with more coming by years end and they didn't want to put out this big box and not get the sales they want because they have too much product out at once. Whether you like that answer or not I don't know but it makes sense. From a business side no question. These guys are smart people. They know what they're doing.

You have to remember, the Matrix box is really for the hard core Doors fan that are here and beyond. Like the Fog Box was. But what pays the bills are the comps they put out and main studio stuff for the most part. There's other stuff of course, merch, digital etc etc. There's a lot that goes into all this stuff. I know some of you out there think they can snap their fingers and things get done but that's just not the case. It's not done fast and easy. Each decision is based on, is this good for the label, the band, sales, maybe attracting new sales (new fans)? Also, all parties have to sign off on it. That in itself is a project. That's why I give Jeff and his staff a ton of credit because behind the scenes this stuff is going on every day and week and 99.999% of the public just doesn't have a clue what they went through to get the product out. That's not to rip them but how would they know if they're not there?

So yes, the Matrix box is fast approching. It will get the proper release it so deserves but it's going to be a little longer. All good. Plus, there is a teaser CD from 50th box to hold you over. It's coming soon and you'll love it.

18. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Live at the Matrix Box set will be released on Nov 18th 2018, to celebrate 10 years of the 2008 fiasco

19. lovemygirl

...timing is everything ;)....great post !

Pats Radio likes this.
  20. lovemygirl

21. lovemygirl

...looking forward to the upcoming vinyl releases...

22. lovemygirl

The Doors : Live at the Isle of Wight (filmed performance and the muti track audio )
    Release Date:
    15 January 2018

Director / producer- John albarian
    Producer - Jeff jambol
    And two executives producers
    Terry Shand & Geoff Kempin

:cool: :agree::shh:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

lovemygirl likes this.