SH Spotlight The DOORS: My interview with the legendary engineer/producer BRUCE BOTNICK

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

Great Read!
    Thanks for the effort.

2. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

That was very interesting, I enjoyed that immensely. Thanks for providing the interview here for Forum members to read.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I was so intrigued by Bruce's comment about recording the snare from underneath that I tried it at a session this weekend -- and I love the sound!

So, mixed in with my admiration for those Doors/Love/etc albums, I can also send him thanks for the under-the-snare sound!!!

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for sharing this interview, Steve.

The business needs more people with the mindset of Bruce Botnick. Thanks to him too for the info he shared in it. :)

5. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

absolutely a great read - love the bits on recording the drums and the "delayed echo with pre-emphasis" story - like recording with dolby and playing back without to get that extra oomph?

question, they had Herman Miller Aeron chairs in 1989? Yes I know... a total nerdy question!

6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I've never done it that way either, but will do so this coming weekend. The room we play in is large, but the stage is small, almost cave-like, with low 7' ceiling. The snare ALWAYS sounds boomy, so this may be just the ticket for getting a cleaner snare sound. Thanks Steve and Bruce... a very insightful interview. Looking forward to the new AF titles! Ron

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve,

Thanks for posting this interview. Very interesting and educational. Very classy how the Doors legacy is handled. Look forward to hearing your upcoming Doors discs on a nice rig. Enjoyable read!

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thank you for posting this Steve, a great read :)

9. cjay

cjay Forum Resident

Steve,

You lucky dog you! Funny how we were just mentioning Mr. Botnick at Audio High last month in our conversation after your lecture. ;-)

I just dropped in here after several weeks away, and there's the bold headline - Bruce Botnick Interview! I had just listened to my mono vinyl of the first LP last night, still loving it after 42 years. Has it been that long?

Anyway, great interview - too short. I too noticed the soldering iron in the last photo - that's the way it was back then. You usually ended up using every cable you had, and when one went bad, you fixed it right there.

Thanks for the great interview!

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

+ so I can read later, Thanks Steve!

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Very cool indeed, a great interview. Thanks for sharing.

12. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

And,remember,if it wasn't for Arthur Lee suggesting to Elektra Prez Jac to go down to the Whisky to see the Doors,the group wouldn't have the contract of a lifetime! Jac and Arthur saved them from being just another Band from L.A.! Thanx so much for the Interview,Steve-Very Insightful look at his Engineering!

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm glad that this thread is out front again to be enjoyed again. The Doors have been one of my top bands since day one and with the loss of Ray Manzarek it's good to read about Botnick and the Doors. Great info about the early days of recording.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.