The Doors on Jay Leno tonight, 1/16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Mack, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member Thread Starter

Music acts are normally scheduled at the end of the show, which means 11:25-11:35 here in Big D.

GM

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Doors? Where's Jim? Did they finally find him in France?....ALIVE! OMG! How Cool! I can't wait to tune in tonight..Hmmm, I'm surprised this wasn't on the news! It's A Miracle!!! Whoop E...;)

3. Gary Mack

Re: Re: The Doors on Jay Leno tonight, 1/16

This will be a Jim-free performance...the Tonight Show just started and the open included a clip of the Doors performing.

GM

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Stewart Copeland is at the frikkin drums!

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

...And who's that as Jim? Must be a big cult! ;)

Attached Files:

6. Michael

Re: Re: Re: The Doors on Jay Leno tonight, 1/16

Darn!, I knew it was to good to be true.;)

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's too bad that John Densmore isn't able to perform. Still, it is way cool to hear that The Doors are back. I missed the performance. What did they play?

8. Michael

Hmmm, Ain't that the Guy from Eddie And The Cruisers?

9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

They played "Light My Fire." I love The Doors, and I love The Police even more, but I'll be damned if that performance tonight wasn't one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Thanks for the warning, Gary - I would have missed the show otherwise. It was actually pretty cool - it was like watching the best Doors cover band ever!

;)

11. I just finished watching the performance. I thought it was marginal at best.

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

A little too close to Creedence Clearwater Revisited territory if you ask me

13. Gary Mack

They played the short, Top 40, 45 rpm single version of Light My Fire, which ran about 3:30 due to a slightly extended bridge.

This is the same group that refuses to release the mono, single mixes of their hits because they never liked them?

It appears the Doors have come back as hypocrites.

GM

14. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

They should tour as The Dutch Doors.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks everyone for the information. Sorry to hear the performance was a disappointment. The Doors are supposed to tour next year, but perhaps I will pass on seeing them in concert. I certainly wouldn't expect them to do an abridged version of "Light My Fire" in concert, but they just may not be good.

16. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Ian Astbury was OK, but I heard too much of what he did as the Cult in his singing. Unavoidable I guess because he is who he is.
    I just kept hearing "Come on Baby Light My Fiiiiiiiurrrr, Smoke on the horizon baby'

Aaron

17. spot1019

spot1019 Forum Resident

Very sad.
    Most tribute bands would have done a better job.

I wonder what size gigs they are going to try to play ?
    And at what price ? I hope people boooo them off the stage, and the critics rip them a new one. The latter is a given, the former... well I keep thinking of PT Barnum.

18. Interesting you should mention that. I was thinking about the "Australian Doors Show" and their performance on the Australian "Stairways To Heaven" CD, the whole time I watching Manazarek and company on Jay Leno. The Australian Doors Show's performance of Stairway To Heave in the arrangement of "When The Music's Over" is so good, some casual listeners thought it was a lost Doors outtake. I think I'd much rather see The Australian Doors Show than this new version of The Doors.

Well up here, we have Tea Party. I saw them last summer. They were great. I met them years ago when I was still in the music biz. It was a little spooky. Lead singer/guitarist Jeff Martin looks like a dead ringer for Jim Morrison, and sounds a bit like him as well. As much as I like and respect Ian Astbury, Jeff Martin would have been my first choice for a replacement vocalist.

19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I tuned in more out of curiosity than anything else. And I enjoyed it for what it was; a chance to see half of the Doors play a tune on television, nothing more. I'm guessing that their truncated performance of the tune was probably a concession to network television (to allow for commercial time and all that good stuff). "Hypocrites"? A rather strong assessment, perhaps. Not to over-rationalize -- and with all due respect to Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger, both fine musicians -- but the band we saw on the Jay Leno Show really wasn't *The Doors*now, were they? Anyway, it's 2003, not 1967. Those "ballroom dancing days are over".

Jim W.

20. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

A Doors tribute band with a couple of original members.:rolleyes:

21. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

Not the greatest Doors performance I've ever seen, either.

I thought Ray and Robbie were good; Stewart is a good drummer, but not on this particular version of "Light My Fire"; and let's just say I was never a big fan of the Cult, so my opinion on Ian would be overly biased.

Still, it might be interesting to hear further, original material from these Doors.

As for them being "hypocrites" by performing an edited "Light My Fire," let's remember the original Doors did an edited version of the song on Ed Sullivan (true, they included the scandalous "higher" word, but it WAS an abridged performance) so did that make the original Doors hypocrites? If you appear on network TV, you wind up playing by (most) of television's rules.

22. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

They should have asked Val Kilmer to lip sing.......darn it.
    Mike

23. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I was always a big fan of the Cult, particularly Love & Electric, so I am curious to see how Ian fits in with them. He is obviously Morrison influenced (both vocally & visually) but he still has his own style. I would much rather see him than a blatant tribute singer, which would be pretty tacky IMO. I didn't see this performance, but was I was a little disappointed with Storytellers. Ian didn't really seem that comfortable with the material or the environment on that show. I thought Wild Child on that tribute record was good, but disappointed with Touch Me. Of course, it's really only half the Doors, but if they are going to do it, I think Ian is a fine choice. I always wondered how he would sound with them. As a Cult (& Doors) fan, I look forward to the new material. The Cult's last album Beyond Good & Evil, was surprisingly strong, probably their best since Sonic Temple.

24. Ian

Ian Active Member

They were..... Ok. Stewart Copland's drumming just seemed too hyper for that song. And athough Astbury isn't a disatrous choice, I think Glen Danzig (Whom I've never been a big fan of) would have been a better choice.

25. Matt

Matt New Member

I didn't know about it until I tuned in. I didn't like it at all. I don't know, I just thought everyone was playing poorly. There just wasn't any chemistry, either.

It was shocking to see half of the Doors, with Stewart Copeland, with someone else pretending to be Jim, performing as the Doors when they were so obviously not. When they "reunited" for American Prayer, they at least resembled the real thing. Last night, it felt like an amateur tribute band. I couldn't believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.