The Doors' Strange Days 50th Edition Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murch

murch Forum Resident

Yes, some sort of tape damage occurs during the song on the new mono cd. The odd thing is, this isn't present on the mono vinyl re-release although that is missing the ..st from the first "you're lost little girl".. which isn't present on the cd. So they are two different masterings.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that's weird. I figured the cd set would be pressed for a few years

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm sorry, please disregard my post. For some reason, I was thinking you were asking about the debut.

There is tape damage on "When the Music's Over" mono 50th. Only in a couple spots but pretty noticeable. At least it stuck out to me. Otherwise sounds nice. For the stereo, they did also use the SACD mastering but it comes from the master (unlike the debut). I don't care for the SACD masterings overall and much prefer the HDtracks hi-res downloads, but the SACD was fine for Strange Days. The 50th stereo mastering is possibly the best CD mastering after the DCC, but I haven't done comparisons in quite some time.

Platterpus and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Are they real distracting?

5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I'll be picking this up eventually.

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Maybe The Door's website is out of stock but many other retailers still have it for sale.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Nothing drops out completely, but you will notice a series of brief drops.

Platterpus likes this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I still prefer the original Gold Label Elektras over any of the new anniversary reissues. The reissues are OK if you just don't have access to anything else, but they lack the presence of the originals in my opinion.

fortherecord likes this.
  9. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, the box set may have been a bust, but it's nice that the mono is back in circulation at an affordable price. And is it fair to say that the new mastering has been well received overall? I have the Perception box mastering of the stereo mix now.

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I most likely payed around $15-$18(cannot recall with B & N Member Discount and Coupon for another 15%-20% off) when it was initially released last Fall but $10 on Import CDs is a great price just to get the Mono CD in that Set, if you are like me and own the DCC CD, so was not interested in the Stereo CD, since, my DCC is what I would play(actually also own the AP Hybrid SACD-bought all 6 Albums on SACD when Acoustic Sounds had 20% off Sale last Fall), so can also play the Stereo Redbook Layer on there, and have a sealed Perception Box Set, but not sure if the Redbook Layer on that version for Strange Days is different from the one in the Perception Box).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

the CD on the perception box is the same 99 remasters available so many times ... the DVD-A have the 40th mixes , then they make available the 40th mixes on cd, i remember being so upset for that marketing strategy.

now, if you have a 5.1 system to play those DVD-A and haven't listened, just recommed to play them, is very interesting

and Stereo version of 50th anniversary have a new remaster, so is different than DCC or previous reissues

13. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

have you try 45 rpm Analogue Productions release? or DCC? they are quite better than original gold labels

14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Keith, did you get the SHM-CD and if so do you like it?

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

No! I have not. I am sure they sound good because they are specially created audiophile recordings with a lot of attention paid to detail and the correct source. I am not particularly into the 45 rpm records. I have one(not this recording) and wasn't overly knocked out by it. I tend to stick with the normally produced records due to the price and try to find the best of those. I am not knocking those who are into those records, it's a personal preference, but I am pretty satisfied with what I already have.

Kat Records likes this.
  16. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

17. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

They coulda cheaped out and used a needledrop to repair the chewed up sections. Better yet, there's a beautiful needledrop of an original mono out there. That's my go-to.

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

What I don't understand is how the dropouts don't happen on the RSD mono LP from 2015. They either have another tape or the damage happened during/after the 2015 transfer, but they would still have that digital transfer. So either way, they have a great source to grab patches from. It's just bizarre that they are pointing out tape damage, as if it couldn't be helped, on a release which was released 2 years prior without the damage. It's also odd that for the debut, they simply used the digital transfer done years earlier for a vinyl release but for Strange Days, they apparently did a new one, new tape damage and all.

19. murch

murch Forum Resident

It must be 2 different masters because the lp version is missing Jim's first "l" the first time he sings lost little girl. It's present on the cd/digital version and the vintage record.

Soundslave and rnranimal like this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It seems that way. Which means they had a good source to patch from.

21. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Why didn’t they fix the dropouts on the mono master? I’m sure they could have used Protools or some equivalent.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Just to correct myself (after quite some time): Strange Days stereo mix for this edition is a different master, because per Bruce' notes in the CD package his home system was utilized to make a digital transfer from the tape, so it's not the 2012 Doug Sax version. Though, they both sound pretty similar.

fortherecord and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Bruce also said the original master tape was used for the debut 50th at one point. I no longer have either the SD SACD or 50th, but I recall them matching exactly. Is he specifically saying this about the stereo disc? If anyone would want to send me 30 seconds from each release, I'd love to compare them again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I can't recall that specifically, but in the interview about s/t it was specified that Doug Sax 2012 mastering was used for 50th anniversary version.
    You want the samples from Strange Days? I only have the PCM side from AP release of it besides 50th anniversary 2CD package.

rnranimal and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, the debut is definitely the Sax mastering. Bruce has stated that but he'd also stated they used the original master for the 50th (I forget where now, but it was in something posted here) . I'm just saying he might get things mixed up sometimes. And maybe he did make a transfer at home but it possibly ended up not being used.

Samples would be great. Could you send a sample from each the AP PCM and 50th 2CD?

Matthew Tate and Soundslave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.