The Doors - The Soft Parade 50, what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Jan 19, 2019.

1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The solo is hot!, I think it's a treat he recorded it. Not like we don't also get a mix without it.

(What I could do without is the vocal track on the four finale notes....at that volume, at least.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Wow thats awful. They are stunningly clueless.

3. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I love it. It is stunningly awesome! I can’t wait for the stripped down “Who Scared You” version in all its glory.

JensC, ssmith3046 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Unfortunately, this excellent ( possibly vintage mix) of Touch Me. Without orchestration and sax was removed from youtube. I hope forum members here got a chance to hear it. The closing music section built to a dramatic, climatic interplay of organ, drums and rhythm guitar.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

At least the clean version will also be released in the box set. It would’ve been unforgivable had they exclusively included this version with the bizarre modern guitar solo.

6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Adding a guitar solo at the end is how Robby played Touch Me in July 1969 at The Aquarius. So the new 2019 overdub on the studio master is not too far fetched in concept.

While the guitar tone of the 2019 overdub on the studio master doesn’t really match Krieger’s 1960s guitar sound, it’s a non issue since a version without the 2019 overdub will also be in the new box.

7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Terrible tone that doesn't fit the track and it literally sounds like what it is. Robby sitting there in 2019 playing along to the 50 year old recording. Honestly, I don't like this mix anyway. The harpsichord is way too loud and obnoxious. I guess that's all they had to fill the emptiness but it doesn't work. Any doubts I had about the album version have disappeared. I'm still curious to hear the other 2 stripped songs, though.

8. Exactly. If I wanna see someone play along with a record, I can just go to youtube.

rnranimal likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

does amazon still wait to charge you until they ship?

10. anth67

I agree the tone (and its dryness, though the vocal is super dry, too) is glaringly not integrated with the overall ensemble. But it's still a great Robbie guitar solo. On his own song.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The Perception version (take 3) still features the full arrangement. However, the band is more prominent in the mix, compared to the album take.

At least the unadorned version of this stripped mix will also feature. I'm excited to have both.

It's probably not a vintage mix, but a fan made one. The individual tracks for Touch Me (and like 10 or more of their most famous songs) are available thanks to them appearing in video games (Rock Band and Guitar Hero.)

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^ It sounded vintage. There was reverb on Jim's vocals. There was a pic of an old odd overseas 45. In fact, it sounded like a 45, definitely not a fan made rock band mix.

You can find those currently on YouTube.

This mix was removed, and for good reason

It was likely legit, imo

13. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I'm not saying that Jim may have grown tired of performing "Light My Fire," most performers tire of playing their hits at times. I was referring to people saying that Jim was "jealous" that "Light My Fire" was a hit... or that he "hated" Robby for writing it. This over the top hyperbole is what drives me crazy when it comes to Morrison. Neither trait--jealousy or hatred--manifesting as part of Jim's personality, according to those who actually knew him well.

Jim gave a lackluster performance of every song at the Seattle Pop Festival, not just "Light My Fire"... bad performance (but plenty of feedback lol)...

Saying that as artists "we're beyond" an early hit is a routine quote from musicians throughout their history. Most true artists want to look forward, not look back. Jim definitely fits into that category. Like Robert Plant saying he was tired of performing "Stairway to Heaven" in Zep's later years, because he no longer related to the lyrics that he wrote.

Tristero, bluesbro, Flynbryan and 3 others like this.
  14. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Unsure about Amazon but Bull Moose doesnt charge right away.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Is the price on this set at bullmoose cheaper than amazon?

16. monkboughtlunch

Ironically, Jim liked to look backward and never seemed to tire of singing his own early songs like Break On Through or When The Music’s Over. You never hear audience catcalls for Back Door Man, yet Morrison always wanted to insert this early club days cover song into every concert.

According to the Sept. 1969 Poppin magazine article, Jim allegedly told an interviewer in 1969 that Light My Fire “stinks,” and he would never sing it again. If true, I can’t imagine that publicly disparaging Robby’s song in the press fostered good will within the band.

And in late 1968-early 1969 “artistically looking forward” translated to new lesser-light material like Who Scared You, Do It and Easy Ride. I don’t think anyone would argue some of the second drawer newer material on the Soft Parade was superior to Light My Fire.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

amazon is $46.14 while BM is at $52.97

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

amazon so far has the best price then that i've seen

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect those types of tracks were album filler for a contractually mandated album, quite possibly constructed or orchestrated (no pun intended) by Rothchild during what was apparently laborious session work. Morrison arguably was losing his enthusiasm and inspiration for the band during that period. But things like the HWY film project, Morrison's poetry projects, and music like The Soft Parade title track suite were certainly examples of an artist trying to moving forward, trying to reach his artistic goals, even if some of it was unexceptional or unpolished and fragmentary.

20. 9la

9la Forum Resident

In Stephen Davis's bio of Morrison, he describes Morrison's reaction to the rest of the Doors allowing Buick to use "Light My Fire" in a commercial (in October 1968). Morrison was outraged, to put it mildly, and stated that the song was sacred to him. Doesn't sound like someone who hated the track.

21. anth67

I think Who Scared You is a pretty strong track -- indeed, one of my favorites from the sessions -- and that the album would've been stronger for its inclusion over either of those others. The band was behind it enough to perform it live at the early '69 MSG show with the other Soft Parade songs. Though its inclusion that night served to utilize the orchestra, too, of course.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  22. monkboughtlunch

That’s a good point. Has anyone located the early 1969 interview that Jeffords refers to in his Sept. 1969 Poppin magazine article in which Jim allegedly says Light My Fire stinks and he is never going to perform it again? Was this stated by Jim in the January 1969 Jazz & Pop magazine interview?

Jim allegedly felt betrayed by the others when they signed the Buick commercial deal without him (he was unreachable). It was a source of friction and Jim allegedly viewed his band mates differently after the incident.

If the Buick incident happened in Oct. 1968 and if Morrison told the media in early 1969 that Light My Fire stinks and he wasn’t going to perform it again, perhaps his negative comments about Light My Fire were influenced by the recent Buick incident and friction with other band members.

But I also wouldn’t put it past Jim that the success of Robby’s song also got under Jim’s skin. It’s interesting that when Jim was drunk in Boston in 1970 he doesn’t sing the lyrics that he contributed to Light My Fire, but he sings Robby’s lyrics.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    enro99 and 9la like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2010 - Felt Forum 1970 vinyl
    2010 - Light My Fire 7" promo reissue
    2010 - People Are Strange WYS 7" vinyl soundtrack
    2010 - The Doors mono vinyl RSD
    2011 - LA Woman 7" vinyl box set
    2011 - Riders On The Storm 3x7inch RSD
    2012 - L.A.Woman Workshop Sessions Vinyl
    2013 - Curated by RSD vinyl (2 Versions)
    2013 - Soul Kitchen 7" vinyl
    2014 - Honor The Treaties (Ghost Song) vinyl
    2014 - Weird Scenes RSD Gold LP
    2015 - Full Circle LP
    2015 - Other Voices LP
    2015 - Strange Days Mono RSD
    2016 - Aquarius Theater vinyl reissue
    2016 - London Fog Boxset
    2016 - Roadhouse Blues (Live) 7"
    2017 - Absolutely Live Blue Vinyl Reissue
    2017 - Matrix vinyl pt. 1
    2017 - Strange Days 50th mono RSD vinyl club
    2018 - American Prayer 40th vinyl
    2018 - HILY/Love Street 7" vinyl
    2018 - Matrix vinyl pt. 2
    2019 - London Fog RSD LP
    2019 - TBA live vinyl BF RSD

Unmolested IOW or Copenhagan or Stockholm or Matrix for BF-RSD I consider too good to be true. Same with Bakersfield/Fillmore East fixed/Seattle. Detroit/Philly/Pitts/Felt 2/Felt 3/Felt 4/Backstage/Vancouver are the obvious guesses that should have been out and back in print in the past decade for RSD vinyl. Maybe it's something far less exciting like RRHOF with Vedder on vinyl or Storytellers vinyl.

I forget which Doors releases were intended for RSD and which ones weren't after cutting down the list from another Doors fan site. Guessing one of the "missing vinyl" live shows for RSD is hardly stepping out on a limb 2 weeks before the RSD list drops.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

That's atrocious. Some poor young soul is going to go to Youtube to check out what someone said is a great song and hear THAT instead, and just go away thinking
    " ..jeez that really sucks". While were at it let's bulldoze the Sistine Chapel and put up a Chuck E. Cheese's o_O

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They mixed "Naked Parade" after Pereception according to Jampol's posts on the old forum. So it's either 12-13 years old or done in the past year. Definitely not a Jim era mix.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.