The Doors - The Soft Parade 50, what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

That may be not entirely true. In the bootleg of that show, Morrison can be heard saying that the show is being taped. Probably It was lost during subsequent years.

Dodoz, Matthew Tate and Encuentro like this.
  2. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Stolen. I was always under the impression that Jim had most shows taped and fit the bill. He probably didn’t keep up with the tapes and people took them. Most of those recordings are probably in the hands of private collectors or lost forever.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Daniel Falaschi

It was supposedly being recorded for radio Broadcast.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I expect it's lost at least some of its hair and it's started having regular prostate exams.

5. Where did you get this idea that Morrison had most shows recorded?

Zack likes this.
  6. Yes, a very logical reason for YMMR not appearing, which for some reason slipped my mind. Crystal Ship is also good I agree.

Nothing would please me more than good quality recordings of the LA Forum and Madison Square Garden shows, but for some reason I don't see it happening. If MSG truly was televised live, there would be some evidence of it by now. Maybe that is a terrible assumption, but it seems so unlikely that such a huge show would slip under the radar of collectors completely.

7. Daniel Falaschi

8. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I read that in No one here gets out alive,I think. Jim had shows filmed and recorded. I thought that’s where all the little snippets of live shows in the videos came from. Jim never kept up with them. Tapes just disappeared.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

All of those snippets are from ‘68, filmed for Feast of Friends, but they only filmed portions of the shows, most without sound, if I’m not mistaken. I believe that the only show in ‘68 to be filmed in its entirety was Hollywood Bowl.

Dodoz, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I know how you feel, but live rock and roll recordings were in their infancy back then, compared to what they’d become over the next few years.

Dodoz and Encuentro like this.
  11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

"An audience member is photographed with a reel-to-reel tape recorder in her lap during The Doors performance at Madison Square Garden in 1969. The identity of this audience member and the whereabouts of the tape are currently unknown."

Looks to me like that is Janis Joplin with the recorder, trying to nail Jim for public indecency. And Sonny Bono is laughing about it while little Phil Collins is taking it all in. :uhhuh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Check out the live version in Dallas Dec 11 1970, early show.

Matthew Tate and steviebee like this.
  13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

My fav Doors album!

14. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I'm willing to say that The Soft Parade is the Doors album that has grown on me (or with me) the most. It's not even close. I'm not saying it's my favorite or not -- but honestly, it doesn't matter, the six albums we have with Jim are all monuments to me -- but it's definitely the album that has grown the most in terms of my interest and appreciation.

It makes sense that it is. It is the album that veers off the path a bit. It contains perhaps more layers of production and concept -- which rewards deep dives and repeated listens. It comes as the band was in a creative transition of sorts, causing the band to reach and expand the zone. But mostly, it's the Doors album that most casual rock fans wouldn't recognize anything on it, save for "Touch Me." So it hasn't been "played."

I just feel like it's a vortex, with all these aforementioned elements, meeting -- churning. Moments like this tend NOT to make a band's biggest hits, but for fans, they tend to be the most interesting.

I know nothing about what's out there, been/not been released, what could be released -- but it stands to reason, this could potentially be a great anniversary set.

15. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Hoping so....but...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man Thread Starter

It's still quiet at Elektra. The anniversary should be in June. Does this mean no special edition?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Well, other than death and taxes, a Doors re-release/remastering occasion is a sure thing. Especially given that the first three albums were done.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man Thread Starter

True, and this is the one for which enough material is available.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Well they did find the time to design/release the Official Young Lion Necklace a few weeks back:

Official Young Lion Necklace

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate and Tjazz like this.
  20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

25 bucks for that? My 9 year-old daughter would be happy to get a piece string and some beads and throw one together for $5.

21. But only $6.45 for shipping. And according to the web site, owning this is 'owning a piece of history.' Now how having this newly replicated necklace is in any way, shape or form part of history is beyond me...

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Actually a few years back :)

23. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

That version also confirms once and for all that -- contra Stephen Davis -- "Just got into town about an hour ago" was a legit lyric, not just a joking way to conceal "Took a little downer".

monkboughtlunch likes this.
  24. Really? I got an email from The Doors.com on 5/2 announcing stating:

THE OFFICIAL YOUNG LION NECKLACE
    Available for a Limited Time for $25.00

I assumed it was a 'new' release? Maybe they just found an old box lying around in the warehouse next to a bunch of Fog discs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I know) But I remember this necklace was made available like 4 or so years back for the first time.

Flynbryan, Matthew Tate and Shawn like this.