The Dracula/Vampire thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I skimmed through this thread and didn't see anyone else mention it but artist Gene Colan based his version of Dracula for the 70's Marvel Comics series "Tomb Of Dracula" mostly on Jack Palance's version:

[​IMG]

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

While not quite as good as the original Swedish "Let the Right One In," this US remake is pretty good.

[​IMG]

MHS3, Pastafarian, Richard--W and 5 others like this.
  3. I have the 2008 edition. Highly recommended!

Richard--W and guy incognito like this.
  4. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Noel Fielding As Vlad The Impaler From the Kasabian Promo video of the same name .

[​IMG]

5. Slack Babbath

The rarely seen Shoreditch Vampire .

[​IMG]

Claus LH and guy incognito like this.
  6. Just a quick addition to my own reply referencing the annotated Dracula by Leslie Klinger.

If you are a fan of Bran Stoker’s Dracula, the annotated edition is ridiculously comprehensive (in a good way). It’s a little clunky to read, but the actual text print is on the large side and the annotations are hugely informative. Want to know more about chicken paprikash? (That Harker eats on his journey...). It here. Want to know about the European rail schedules and how likely they reflected reality when compared to the text? Yep, this is the level of detail that’s achieved, and the European folklore stuff is fascinating.

I love the book, so I welcome this level of detail. The annotated edition isn’t prohibitively expensive, so if you’ve read the original text more than three times, this deep dive has many rewards.

7. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but the Anno Dracula novels by Kim Newman are great stuff. For those unacquainted, there's five books in the series (and a sixth coming later this year), but they take off from the conceit that Dracula won at the end of the original novel and has essentially taken over England by forcing a marriage to Queen Victoria. Newman weaves in characters and references from a plethora of sources, vampire, horror, and otherwise, as the wiki page for the series will attest.

The Annotated Dracula is a must have for fans of the book and horror in general, to add to the above.

8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The night stalker the ABC movie of the week was great. Coppola Dracula film was good. I appreciate his bringing Dracula back.

9. Oboe

Oboe Well-Known Member

In Nosferato with Klaus Kinski, does anyone believe it would have been preferable in colour?

10. Slack Babbath

Gene Moss - Dracula’s Greatest Hits
    1964 RCA Records

[​IMG]

Jimi Bat likes this.
  11. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

^ ^ ^
    The great Jack Davis!

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I want to hear "Surf Monster"

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Well, I'll be durned . . .

14. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Don’t forget the embarrassment that is Wynona Ryder as well.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ha! I'd actually forgotten that was her! I need to watch that again after having seen her be single mom in Stranger Things. The contrast will be interesting.

It's been a few years but I don't think she was quite as embarrassing as Keanu. I could be wrong.

16. Partyslammer

On the old Criterion CAV format laserdisc, there's a special feature where the viewer can edit together a scene featuring Keannu early in the film using numerous raw takes. Some of the takes are embarrassingly bad and I can't help but think that whole feature was included as a backhanded swipe at Reeves.

17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I truly hate this movie. I hardly ever say that, but this one actually makes me angry. Ok, you have a big name director, huge budget, great story to work from, Gary Olman, Anthony Hopkins, and about anybody else you wanted. But, this is what we get? This should have been the Dracula to end all Draculas! How on earth did Reeves and Rider pass the screen tests? Are they considered such big names that they don't have to even test? They are simply awful.

Example: Remember the story of Eric Stoltz as the lead in Back to the Future? At some point, someone in authority said "this isn't working at all," and shut down production while they looked for another lead. Think they made the right choice?

Are Ryder and Reeves "un-fireable?"

I will concede the movie itself isn't awful and has some good points, but when it comes to this one I'm not a forgiving person.

18. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

It was Ryder who brought the script of that movie to Coppola, she was already attached to it... didn't think she was that bad in it, but Coppola wanted to work with her after she dropped out of Godfather Part III.

Keanu's performance/accent was indeed infamously terrible, but he does try, God bless 'im...

Wayne Hubbard and Tim S like this.
  19. Yes she was out of her depth there but she would have been a fine addition to the cast of Godfather III.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think they both really did try - they were just wrong for the roles. What's crucial to the story is the consuming love between Oldman and Ryder - and it just isn't there, there is no chemistry, no spark at all.

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Word is floating around that the Frank Langella DRACULA (1979) is getting a remaster from Scream Factory that will include both the full color version and the desaturated version. Possible release in November of this year.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

I fear I don’t understand your question. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Nosferatu the vampyre) was filmed in colour.

23. Partyslammer

This has been confirmed as part of Shout/Scream Factory's announcements of upcoming Blu-ray releases. It will be a 2 disc release, with the original theatrical release color timing on one disc and the desaturated version on the other. It's about time.

24. Slack Babbath

Taste The Wine Of Dracula .
    (My wife bought me this from the local Co-Op recently)
    [​IMG]

25. Slack Babbath

John ‘Barnabus’ Collins’ Frid crowns Miss American Vampire .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Jimi Bat likes this.