The Dracula/Vampire thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Sep 25, 2017.

1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Invincible Czars are touring their live performance with screenings of Nosferatu again. I saw the show a couple of years ago and it was excellent. Sorry I'm late with this post as there aren't many dates left but well worth checking out if they are in your area.

[​IMG]

Purple Jim likes this.
  2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Does anyone know of a modern day vampire movie that came out in the mid-80's, probably direct-to-video where the vampires incubate or sleep in large gross looking "sacs" underwater in a pond or lake?

64FALCON likes this.
  3. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@Partyslammer: It's probably CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT (1991) starring Karen Black, Peter DeLuise and Ami Dolenz.

Partyslammer likes this.
  4. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I have this comic - bought it just because it's Dracula, on cocaine....
    Also, a Wrightson cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Yeah, I believe this is the one! It's too bad it doesn't appear to be released anywhere on home video (except the original VHS release) even on DVD, much less blu-ray. At least the complete movie is up on YouTube.

64FALCON likes this.
  6. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

i always found it interesting that bram stoker said that as vampires have no souls they hate classical music and yet such music became synonymous with vampires- well until the 1980s when they all dug heavy metal

Doggiedogma and Amnion like this.
  7. zombie dai

8. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Help identify a movie.
    Years ago, I watched a vampire movie on TV that was probably from the 60s or late 50s. The hero of the movie set the female vampires in a house or castle on fire. I'm not sure if he used a giant magnifying glass or just opened the shades to let the sun in. They were running around screaming in flames. That was pretty graphic for network TV back then. The hero was a vampire hunter or something like that. I'm not sure if he was supposed to be Van Helsing, but I believe he was younger than Van Helsing is usually portrayed. It was possibly a Hammer film. Maybe not. I was a kid and don't remember any other details. I think I missed a big chunk of the first half of it. Does anyone know what film that might be?

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Burning the castle down was a very common way to end a horror film in the old days. Nothing I can think of matches exactly what you describe, the closest off the top of my head is Brides of Dracula.

DavidW likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Happy birthday Bela!! The most famous vampire of them all would've been 120 years old yesterday! Does anyone not know whom I'm speaking of!? He's in all of our collective consciences!;)

Crungy likes this.
  12. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Thanks, but Brides of Dracula is not it.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  13. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

I just found it.
    Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro (also known as Samson vs. the Vampire Women). It’s a Mexican film. That’s why I missed it on previous searches. It was released in the U.S. in 1963. I was 9 or 10 when I saw it on TV.
    Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro - Wikipedia
    Samson vs The Vampire Women ~ Trailer - video Dailymotion

14. zombie dai

64FALCON, Crungy and DavidW like this.
  15. zombie dai

16. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

I had found that and forwarded it to the end to verify that’s it. It’s not exactly how I described it but is definitely the one I remember. It has some vampires in flames caused by sunlight. Other vampires run to their caskets where Samson sets them on fire with a torch. They are not shown burning but sound like screaming girls at a Beatles concert. My mom happened to walk into the room during that scene while I was watching. She couldn’t believe they were showing people burning to death on TV. My 9 or 10 year old self condescendingly explained that they were vampires.

zombie dai likes this.
  17. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

This a fantastic reading of the entire Bram Stoker novel and the reader does a great job with the voices. He even shifts paper as if he is actually reading the letters that make up most of the narrative. As was said about it is a fun read. When Stoker is good it is very creepy in a very pure way.

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Just watched Dracula Untold on Prime -the 1st half of the movie kept me engaged, but the 2nd half was a mess. I thought Luke Evans was very good as Vlad, I would have liked to have the story focus more on the initial confrontations of Vlad and the Master Vampire, as that really had me intrigued. The massive fight scenes with Vlad and the Ottoman army were trash IMO.
    Could have been much better. The ending laying the groundwork for a part 2.

[​IMG]

19. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Angelique Bouchard Collins the Vampire (Lara Parker on Dark Shadows)

[​IMG]

Bluesman Mark and Jeff Minn like this.
  20. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Unbread Unbread Unbread
    [​IMG]

Crungy, unclefred, jamesc and 4 others like this.
  21. zombie dai

it rises in the evening

22. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

The last, if not great, very good John Carpenter movie Vampires, while not Dracula movie, it's very good vampire movie, with James Woods as the lead, who's great in it, naturally.

[​IMG]

Bluesman Mark, 64FALCON and unclefred like this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Bonus points awarded-

[​IMG]

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. zombie dai

did any of you read/see del toro's strain and a 'new take' on vampires?

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K and The Lost Boys 4K are 10 bucks on Amazon.