The DURAN DURAN Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

I'm not comfortable with celebrating wild boys. I mean what is a wild boy? Are they untamed boys? Are they trying to find and tame these wild boys?

Zealous and theholygoof like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What is a wild boy?

The Wild Boys (novel) - Wikipedia

3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

There's dark stuff on all of the albums but I know what you mean. The B sides from this era - Late Bar/Faster Than Light - are awesome as well

negative1, theholygoof and JeffMo like this.
  4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Has a thumping sound almost quasi industrial

5. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Here's the other house promo remix of wild boys (4 on da floor):

later

6. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Simon did double track vocals as well as BV, however Andy does indeed sing BV on some songs. One that springs to mind is New Religion although it’s actually a second vocal (the “alter-ego” part) where he sings “Take another chance boy, carry the fight, etc”. Last Chance On The Stairway is possible the whole band chanting at the end, but I’m certain he’s singing the countermelody on Save A Prayer’s chorus. Friends of Mine verses sounds like a processed Nick. Thinking about this last one, they never use BV on the verses when they play it live, which is a shame.

7. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

New song “More Joy feat. CHAI”.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Definitely a 1980's pop techno vibe. Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Rif2050 and Neonbeam like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not to get ahead of myself but this one sounds like an instant classic. I really like it when DD are challenging themselves and bring in some extra twists. :righton:

10. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

i think 99% of the studio vocals from the early albums are simon, multi-tracking the backing vocals with his lead work--outside of stuff mentioned in this reply--even tho the ego/alter-ego vocals on "new religion" both sound very much like simon to me.

but this conversation also leads nicely into one of the biggest changes in the band as they exploded in the early 80s--something i would have liked to have seen evolve differently--the addition of backing vocalists/instrumentalists. i understand the intent--to bring a fuller sound/studio sounds to the stage for fans who expect that kinda thing--but part of me really wishes they hadn't taken that direction. and it still plays itself out in shows today. they were lean and energetic in the early shows and trying to make names for themselves with the first tour. carefully added to the live show and were still very lean and energetic with the "rio" show as they broke worldwide. but the further along they got, the more bloated the live shows seemed to get. and they never dialed it back.

for example, why has there been added sax on "hungry like the wolf" and "planet earth?!??" for years?! they are just added parts in such a tightly wound/energetic songs--as if the sax part has been added to give him something to play/do. it's just extra nonsense, and i have always wanted a mix without the sax when it's not needed. and there are other examples, those two songs are just the ones that jump out at me.

i wish they had kept the live shows more about the energy of the then-fab-five, instead of trying to perfectly replicate the studio sounds. have john and andy really rehearse the backing vocals and deliver them full-on, not when it might look cool for the crowd or to pose for the cameras--make it duran duran full-stop. if the extra players don't have anything necessary for the song, let them step back or pfft learn how to play enough basic guitar to add to the mix behind the guitarist.

negative1 and jamesc like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Continuing to trawl the back catalog in the run up to the new album.

Todays listen: Seven and the Ragged Tiger

Neonbeam and negative1 like this.
  12. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

It’s definitely Andy who is singing the alter-ego part on New Religion. It was confirmed some years ago by the band in a “Ask Katy” question on their website. Besides, if you are familiar with Andy’s singing, you’d recognise his voice.

Flaky Bandit and JeffMo like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wish Fab Five reunion would have lasted longer. :sigh:

Curveboy, jamesc and Guapito like this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Me too. Andy added an edge although I felt his wings were clipped a little too much on Astronaut.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

16. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

Frankly I could do without the Chai.

17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

the best two sides of theirs i ever heard - were from their comeback period.

ordinary world and come undone. bar none.

Kris-AOTY and JeffMo like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I will never forget hearing each of those great songs for the first time back in '93! :righton:

rkt88 and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

My mom bought that for me when it came out.

Flaky Bandit, ARK, negative1 and 3 others like this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

AWESOME!!

ARK and moople72 like this.
  21. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

they really were THAT good.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hopefully a hit!

Flaky Bandit, jamesc and Neonbeam like this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

New album talk.

Flaky Bandit and negative1 like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Do fans prefer As The Lights Go Down or Arena?

There are some weird things going on in the former (sound effects, fade outs) that make me prefer the latter but it needs a DE and full setlist!

25. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I’ve just put on my vinyl copy on ATLGD. Yes, it does has some funny stuff going on but there are elements of the mix I prefer, such as the percussion. Careless Memories is longer as well. However, it grates me that Roger Taylor’s hi-hat is barely audible. It was always very evident on the studio versions.

JeffMo likes this.