The DURAN DURAN Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

3. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

Quick post to let you know that Ian Little's long-awaited book 'Baptism Of Fire: A Year Living & Working With Duran Duran' is now up for pre-orders.
    https://www.ian-little.com/baptism-of-fire
    It concentrates on Is There Something I Should Know? and Seven And The Ragged Tiger; but features an extensive chapter on recording the Avalon album and Jealous Guy with Roxy Music as well.
    Ian had a dramatic fall from grace in the second half of the 1980s, following his work on Belouis Some's debut album and Sparks 'Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat'. He is now clean, sober and determined to see his Music Outreach Project get up and running to help promote music to disadvantaged young adults. Although the very limited Deluxe slipcase version (signed) is quite expensive, the standard hardback is also available & more affordable at £22

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just uploaded a day ago. Recent interview with DD.

5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Great interview.

6. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Happy birthday to simon le bon, turning 63 today.

later

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Come on! No way! :crazy:

.... or could it be.....? :hide:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Happy Birthday Simon! :hugs:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  9. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Future Past is out in stores now. I note with some dismay that the vinyl edition is only 10 tracks, whereas the CD has 12 and the deluxe CD has 15.

That said, I'm only through part of it but the advance release songs were representative. The entire album sounds effortless, unlike the belabored Paper Gods. It's a good mix of funk and synth-pop, with the occasionally rock guitar solo from Graham Coxon. In fact I'd go so far as to say parts of it are almost post-punk, as they were in the beginning. I think it's easily the least embarrassing album they've ever done without giving into mid-tempo blandness or deliberately aping themselves.

10. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

11. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Ordinary World was just on Dutch radio. What an absolutely genius gem of a song!
    Can't believe it came out almost 30 years ago...

IMO proof that popmusic has come a long way in the three decades since Love Me Do
    by the Beatles, and since 1992 hasn't exactly... Food for thought.

Flaky Bandit, JeffMo and Curveboy like this.
  12. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

... and the Japanese version 16.

Hep Alien and longdist01 like this.
  13. Matt Bowers

Matt Bowers Forum Resident

The digital version and cassette versions are both 12 tracks as well. To me since most formats have 12 tracks I feel the 12 track version is the official version of FUTURE PAST. Though the way they mixed the bonus tracks into the album for the 15 track version sort of confuses things. I highly recommend the 15 track version btw. All 3 tracks are very old school Dark Wave similar to the very first DD album.

Chris Bernhardt, JeffMo and fluxkit like this.
  14. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

How they left Laughing Boy off I have no idea.

Guapito and Matt Bowers like this.
  15. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Unfortunately it was mastered to death and sounds like crap.

================================================================================
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.54 dB 3:39 14-More Joy!
    DR4 -0.10 dB -6.43 dB 3:34 12-Hammerhead
    DR4 -0.10 dB -7.45 dB 5:49 16-Falling
    DR4 -0.15 dB -6.92 dB 5:07 03-Give It All Up
    DR4 -0.10 dB -6.14 dB 3:11 01-Invisible
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.53 dB 4:05 02-All Of You
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.21 dB 5:18 04-Anniversary
    DR5 -0.14 dB -6.43 dB 3:53 05-Future Past
    DR4 -0.10 dB -5.81 dB 2:40 06-Velvet Newton
    DR4 -0.20 dB -4.72 dB 3:36 07-Beautiful Lies
    DR5 -0.05 dB -6.54 dB 3:08 08-Tonight United
    DR4 -0.10 dB -5.93 dB 5:19 09-Wing
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.43 dB 4:26 10-Nothing Less
    DR5 -0.09 dB -7.19 dB 4:55 11-Laughing Boy
    DR3 -0.10 dB -5.39 dB 2:08 13-Invocation
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.85 dB 4:46 15-Five Years (Japan Bonus Track)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 16
    Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 905 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

16. Neonbeam

A couple of days ago - 13th November 2007 - marked the anniversary of "Red Carpet Massacre". Streamed it twice and have to say I like it. Even tracks like "Nite Runner" or "Skin Divers". "Zoom In" I always thought was great.

... still I'd like to hear "Reportage". John: "We delivered an album to Sony that was a natural-sounding, almost rock album, and they were like: 'We need something a bit pop, do you fancy doing a couple of tracks with Timbaland?'" Amazing. Record company interference that late in the game?

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

One of their best for sure, shame the album wasn't that good except for the other classic Come Undone

theholygoof and Phil12 like this.
  18. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

I agree. It's old-fashioned in the sense that it feels like an album of fillers around maybe four good tracks, two of them standout.
    Like they used to in the 60's.

AFOS likes this.
  19. Matt Bowers

Matt Bowers Forum Resident

I think we're finally going to get Reportage as part of the upcoming Anthology that the band is working on. Regardless of "DuranDuranTime" I think we'll see that in 2022.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes please!

Matt Bowers likes this.
  21. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

What else is new when comes to Duran Duran mastering of the last 20 years? I've given up as they must have tin ears.

shaboo likes this.
  22. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Songs I heard by them and their videos were very good. Lead singer has an excellent voice. Yeah, a very nice looking bunch of young fellows as well, which I noticed, lol.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

On Showtime documentary a couple years ago, there was a feature on Simon returning to visit the church he used to sing in the choir for growing up. He even held some prestigious position (lead soprano chair?) before hitting puberty.

24. Neonbeam

Anybody here going to the "Touch The Sunrise" Ibiza event - 29 April - 2 May? The "Party Pass" alone is £189. No idea how much hotels in and flights to Ibiza are.

Obviously I never considered it. Even though I'd love to see a DD concert. I just don't really like going to Ibiza to meet the more wealthy part of DD Fandom.

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

A friend sent me Tiger Tiger EP from Japan with four dance mixes from 1983 singles plus the instrumental title track!